Home PEx Lifestyle Health and Wellness

[MERGED] Hypothyroidism

they said that people with hypothyroidism are prone to become overweight. i've noticed that even if i don't eat a lot, i still gain weight, and i only lose it when i totally stop eating. is there any way i can fix this? is there any way i can make my metabolism go faster, considering i've a desk job & i don't get to exercise a lot?

Comments

• IraIra PEx Rookie ⭐
    Hypothyroids do gain more weight eating less amounts of food compared to people with normal thyroid funtion. However, having a prominent thyroid gland doesn't automatically mean you are hypothyroid--you need to check your thyroid hormone levels to assess whether you do actually have hypothyroidism. If you do, then your endocrinologist should start you on thyroid hormone replacement therapy to get your metabolism back to normal. Now, if your thyroid hormone levels are within normal range, then chances are you're just eating high calorie food.
  • Signs & Symptoms include fatigue, cold intolerance, weakness, WEIGHT CHANGE -> Usually GAIN

A goiter MAY BE present depending on its etiology.

Monitor circulating levels of free T3 /T4 -> YOU'RE NOT GOING TO DO THIS, YOUR ENDOCRINOLOGIST WILL :goon:
  • I've been diagnosed for Hypo, since june 2003 and even high Triglycerides, chlolesterol, uric acid.
    My medicine is :
    100mg of eferox evryday.
    2-600mg of Lopid
    1-300mg of Zyloric
    and after 2 years this march 2005 all went to normal but only cholesterol result is high but small amount...but I have this feeling again of...

'Nahihilo ka na parang babagsak ka nalang, tapos yung tuhod mo nanghihina, minsan masakit ang ulo...then may palpitation pa"...My dr. told me to stop for 1 month muna ang medicine but not the eferox... any advice doc about this

Is this maybe because of too much medicene?
    and all of these High result is because of Hypo.thnx
  • Da_korz wrote:
    I've been diagnosed for Hypo, since june 2003 and even high Triglycerides, chlolesterol, uric acid.
    My medicine is :
    100mg of eferox evryday.
    2-600mg of Lopid
    1-300mg of Zyloric
    and after 2 years this march 2005 all went to normal but only cholesterol result is high but small amount...but I have this feeling again of...

'Nahihilo ka na parang babagsak ka nalang, tapos yung tuhod mo nanghihina, minsan masakit ang ulo...then may palpitation pa"...My dr. told me to stop for 1 month muna ang medicine but not the eferox... any advice doc about this

Is this maybe because of too much medicene?
    and all of these High result is because of Hypo.thnx

--im not a endocrinologist but IMO,, hypothyroidism has the following symptoms... weakness, weight gain, hair loss, fatigue, muscle cramps, mood changes etc.
    n so, PALPITATION is more associated with HYPERthyroidism..

btw; hypothyroidism is also associated wd fat/lipid increase dats y ur lab result for cholesterol (LDL) is a bit higher.

is it because of too much med's? ... imo No. ur physician s treating ur hypothyroidism kaya continues parin ung eferox.. but about the palpitation i dunno.. r u sure its hypo not hyper.. if so, maybe ur just anxious or better see a cardiologist to calm u down.. :)
  • Thxn, actually yung palpitation minsan lang naman , minsan 1 or2x lang sa 1week, pero normal naman ang Ecg ko at blood pressure... kaya right now still on a diet, keloggs sa umaga using skim milk, at light food lang.... baka kako side effcet na yun ng mga gamot? I'm worried lang kac dun sa TG...pero now its normal naman at ayaw kona sana uminom ng gamot.
  • How does one find out if he has hypothyroidism? What type of blood tests do you need to take (TSH/ Free T3/ Free T4?)? What is the treatment?
  • Clinically, hypothyroidism manifests as weakness, fatigue, cold intolerance, constipation, dry hair and skin.

Hypothyroidism usually has an increased TSH and low levels of T3 and T4.

Treatment of course is replacement of thyroid hormones (L-thyroxine)
  • LesLes PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    As an addendum to what cipro said:

1. For baseline (first-time) measurements, the triad of T3,T4, and TSH are usually requested. Later when the medication is being titrated, the physician might request for only T3 or T4.

2. The vast majority of those who have thyroid disease (hypo- or hyperthyroidism) are women.

3. If the reason for hypothyroidism is post-thyroid surgery or radioactive iodine, replacement therapy is for life.

4. Hypothyroidism is generally 'safer' compared to it's opposite, hyperthyroidism. The latter can go into a severe state called thyroid storm that has a mortality rate of up to 30%. However, severe hypothyroidism can also lead to coma (called myxedema coma), with a mortality rate up to 20%.

If you have suspicions regarding a possible hypothyroid state, go see an endocrinologist.
  • blubby_90blubby_90 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    what are thy symptoms and how to cure? mas maganda if may endoc na makakasagot.o kaya kung may mga patient na nakapag undergo na ng treatment o diagnosed na may hypothyroid.
  • Can anyone elaborate more about the symptoms, conditions and dangers of having thyroid problems? I mean what are the signs aside from weight gain and hair loss?
  • meron bang bawal na food for people w/ hypothyroidism? or may diet bang dapat i-follow?

and are their vitamins/ food supplements that can help?
  • Hi all, naasar ako yung doctor ko 1 week ang convention di ko naabutan yan tuloy im worried about my test.
    Im 35 weeks pregnant and my hyperthyroidsm has been cured 9 months before i concieved.

to doctors out there can you interpret my test result? pang pa calm lan gkasi worried ako, yung endoc ko tuesday pa balik e naaalarma ako.

Test Result Normal Value
    TSH 4.964 0.35-5.50 ulU/ml
    FT3 2.19 1.68 - 3.54 pg/ml
    FT4 1.21 0.71 - 1.85 ng/dl

what does this mean ?
    may effect ba to sa baby ko?

bakit ganon result ng TSH aabot ba talga ng thousands and TSH given that values are 5.5 ang highest sa normal value?
    Please help
  • all are within normal limits.... TSH is 4.964 not 4,964
  • Hello everyone.Can u please share your experiences here about HYPOTHYROIDISM? I am so much worried and paranoid because I feel like I am manifesting symptoms mimicking this condition.I have a low blood pressure which is 90/60. I feel dizzy at times, having nervousness.I feel like I have gained weight but I did not lose appetite?Can you help me please.thanks
  • Yes thanks you are right.Sometimes after surfing the net, I feel like I am exhibiting the symptoms I have read..
  • May kinalaman ba sa sensitivity to light at head heaviness and diziness ang thyroid problems?
  • Hi,

Ang initial na problem ko ay weight gain. I gained a really great amount of weight in a short span of time. When I entered college (2010) I weighed 52 kg. Now that I'm in my 3rd year I already weigh 77kg. My GOSH. As in nakaka-loka. Na try ko na rin magdiet pero ang hirap mag lose ng weight. Mataba din kasi ako dati pero madali lang ako mag-lose ng weight. pero this time talaga nakaka-asar hindi talaga ako makapag lose ng weight. Nag try na ako gn low cal diets and workouts na din pero walang epekto. I read about hypothyroidism at based sa mga symptoms na nabas ako online, karamihan dun meron ako like:

~Weight gain.
    ~Depression
    ~Anxiety and panic attacks
    ~Difficulty focusing, poor memory
    ~Lethargy, sleepiness, feels sleepy after eating
    ~Menstruation irregularity (3x lang ako nagka-mens this year; April, August, November)
    ~Constipation
    ~Inability to concentrate or read long periods of time
    ~Mood swings, gets irritated easily, inability to maintain social relationship

Ayun. At first nga naisip ko na may ADHD ako. Sobrang nag-suffer kasi yung study habits ko. Dati madali akong maka-memorize at kapag nag-focus ako sa pagbabasa (given na hindi maingay ang paligid) nakakapag-aral naman akong mabuti at napo-process ko yung inaaral ko. Ngayon, parang ang bilis mag wane ng attention ko. As in minsan di ko namamalayan na iba na iniisip ko habang nagbabasa ako or tuloy lang sa pagbasa pero wala na akong na-aabosrb. Sobrang depressing kasi anlaki talaga ng impact sa academics ko. Plus, ayun ewan ko kugn personality problem ba o ano, pero I'm having difficulty establishing alsting relationships with my peers. Most of the time, I'd rather study on ym own, perform school projects on my own, basta prefer ko na ako na lang gumagawa. Hindi ko gusto yung may mga kasama, madali akong mapikon, ewan, nahihirapan ako mag-adjust sa mga kasama ko. Ayoko rin ng sumasama sa mga outings at lakwatsa. (ewan ko lang kung relevant pa to as a subjective cue). Ayun tapos major problem ko nga eh yung pag gain ng weight. Grabe sobrang nakaka-inis. Imagine, from 52 kilos naging 77 kilos ako in a span of 2 years? Sobrang nagki-crave ako sa starchy foods tapos antok na antok ako pag naka-kain. Para naman magising, lagi akong nagkakape, kaso grabe, pag exams todo inom ng cobra, kape etc. para lang maging focused sa inaaral ko pero nagsu-suffer naman ang cognition. Parang nagbabasa lang ako pero di naa-absorb. ARGH.

Help naman po. May mai-su-suggest ba kayong Endocrinologist para sakin? Within Manila area sana (sana nga nasa PGH nalang. Malapit alng ako dun) Hirap lang talaga akong makahanap ng time para makapag-consult dahil sa hectic sched. pero sobrang nakaka-apekto na siya sa studies ko. Nagsu-suffer na grades ko :( Baka may makakatulong sakin dito. Thank you in advance.
  • LesLes PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    If you have a FT4 (with or without FT3) and TSH done hypothyroidism can be easily diagnosed.
  • Hi,

Ang initial na problem ko ay weight gain. I gained a really great amount of weight in a short span of time. When I entered college (2010) I weighed 52 kg. Now that I'm in my 3rd year I already weigh 77kg. My GOSH. As in nakaka-loka. Na try ko na rin magdiet pero ang hirap mag lose ng weight. Mataba din kasi ako dati pero madali lang ako mag-lose ng weight. pero this time talaga nakaka-asar hindi talaga ako makapag lose ng weight. Nag try na ako gn low cal diets and workouts na din pero walang epekto. I read about hypothyroidism at based sa mga symptoms na nabas ako online, karamihan dun meron ako like:

~Weight gain.
    ~Depression
    ~Anxiety and panic attacks
    ~Difficulty focusing, poor memory
    ~Lethargy, sleepiness, feels sleepy after eating
    ~Menstruation irregularity (3x lang ako nagka-mens this year; April, August, November)
    ~Constipation
    ~Inability to concentrate or read long periods of time
    ~Mood swings, gets irritated easily, inability to maintain social relationship

Ayun. At first nga naisip ko na may ADHD ako. Sobrang nag-suffer kasi yung study habits ko. Dati madali akong maka-memorize at kapag nag-focus ako sa pagbabasa (given na hindi maingay ang paligid) nakakapag-aral naman akong mabuti at napo-process ko yung inaaral ko. Ngayon, parang ang bilis mag wane ng attention ko. As in minsan di ko namamalayan na iba na iniisip ko habang nagbabasa ako or tuloy lang sa pagbasa pero wala na akong na-aabosrb. Sobrang depressing kasi anlaki talaga ng impact sa academics ko. Plus, ayun ewan ko kugn personality problem ba o ano, pero I'm having difficulty establishing alsting relationships with my peers. Most of the time, I'd rather study on ym own, perform school projects on my own, basta prefer ko na ako na lang gumagawa. Hindi ko gusto yung may mga kasama, madali akong mapikon, ewan, nahihirapan ako mag-adjust sa mga kasama ko. Ayoko rin ng sumasama sa mga outings at lakwatsa. (ewan ko lang kung relevant pa to as a subjective cue). Ayun tapos major problem ko nga eh yung pag gain ng weight. Grabe sobrang nakaka-inis. Imagine, from 52 kilos naging 77 kilos ako in a span of 2 years? Sobrang nagki-crave ako sa starchy foods tapos antok na antok ako pag naka-kain. Para naman magising, lagi akong nagkakape, kaso grabe, pag exams todo inom ng cobra, kape etc. para lang maging focused sa inaaral ko pero nagsu-suffer naman ang cognition. Parang nagbabasa lang ako pero di naa-absorb. ARGH.

Help naman po. May mai-su-suggest ba kayong Endocrinologist para sakin? Within Manila area sana (sana nga nasa PGH nalang. Malapit alng ako dun) Hirap lang talaga akong makahanap ng time para makapag-consult dahil sa hectic sched. pero sobrang nakaka-apekto na siya sa studies ko. Nagsu-suffer na grades ko :( Baka may makakatulong sakin dito. Thank you in advance.

share ko lang po.. it's going to be lots or reads and video-watching but worth the time :)

[video]http://player.vimeo.com/video/44267425?title=0&amp[/video]

this is the website:

Natural Thyroid Treatment

from this site, the doctor mentioned in item number 13

#13: GLUTATHIONE: Doctors may use Glutathione in their treatment of chronic thyroid conditions. Glutathione is the “mother-load” of anti-oxidants. Glutathione cannot be taken orally in pill form as the body will not absorb it. Many doctors at the Institute have seen miraculous changes in our patient population as a result of our specific glutathione protocols. Glutathione is especially helpful with autoimmune diseases.

165 scientific papers published in pubmed linking low levels of glutathione to thyroid diseases
    you may narrow down or filter the search by clicking (from the left side pane) 5 years under Publication dates, Humans under Species and Clinical trial under Article types.

more...
    “Low levels of glutathione may be a factor in the genesis of thyroid disease.” Read some abstracts of scientific papers linking low glutathione levels and thyroid disease here

please, take time to read my thread
  • LesLes PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    jaoueichi wrote: »

#13: GLUTATHIONE: Doctors may use Glutathione in their treatment of chronic thyroid conditions. Glutathione is the “mother-load” of anti-oxidants. Glutathione cannot be taken orally in pill form as the body will not absorb it. Many doctors at the Institute have seen miraculous changes in our patient population as a result of our specific glutathione protocols. Glutathione is especially helpful with autoimmune diseases.

I have yet to see any doctor use glutathione for thyroid diseases, nor is it even mentioned in any of the established guidelines (e.g. ATA) for thyroid diseases.

I have read your thread before and left it alone. However I do NOT appreciate you spamming other threads to promote a product that has no proven and established therapeutic value. There is a huge gulf linking low glutathione to whatever disease AND actually using glutathione as a proven therapy for that disease.