Home PEx Hobbies Books and Literature

Has anyone read "blink" by Malcolm Gladwell? What do you think of it?

I was just browsing through the shelves of A Different Kind of Bookstore (check it out at the Mall of Asia) when I saw this small, not-quite-plain book entitled "blink...The Power of Thinking Without Thinking." I don't know why I picked it up.. it may be because of the design of the cover or the great reviews.. but this book has certainly changed the way I see things now. I used to rationalize and intellectualize every decision that I make..trivial things like what clothes to wear for the day, where I'd have my lunch...especially major decisions in life. Blink has given me a new perspective... it wont hurt to make snap, calculated judgments. If you reply to this thread, blink! you just made one (snap judgement). Read the book.. I enjoyed it immensely. :)

Comments

• ugh i thought it sucked. i guess i'm just not into that intuitive thinking thing that gladwell points out. but i know a lot of people who liked the book
  • rationalrational PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I read it... Incredibly shallow for a book that's supposed to promulgate revolutionary ideas. He makes the contention that some people can make a decision in a blink of an eye but takes it all back and points out that snap decisions may lead to racism and stereotyping.

It was more like a long magazine article than a serious book. To think that he got paid a gazillion dollars for it just makes me puke. Interesting idea, yes. Entertaining, yes. Depth, no.
  • The simpliest things are sometimes the most useful. As was pointed out in the book, an increase in information and analysis does not always improve accuracy. In fact, too much information may lead you to overlook the critical variables, especially if time is limited. I do, however, think a Blink is too short a time for most situations!