FEATURE ADJUSTMENT: The Flag button is temporarily unavailable for members. We are doing certain system adjustments as of the moment to prevent some users from abusing this feature. For reports, please message the moderators or email us at [email protected]
PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at [email protected] Thank you!

Irritating english accents

leporidaeleporidae Member PExer
Hey everyone,
I was wondering if many of you find those with proper english accents irritating. I have a fairly strong australian accent, and I find people react to it negatively. They always presume I'm some rich snob, and they feel insecure. So when i'm in the philippines, I just use tagalog.

Do you people find those with natural good accents irritating, or only those who are obviously faking it?

Comments

• SUX2B?SUX2B? Banned by Admin PExer
    You have already said it: Only those who are insecure find "natural good accents" irritating. I'm in the same nut as you; when I speak English, some Pinoys think I'm swank, big-noting myself, and they become negative. Hmm, probably because of my "un-Filipino" accent.

:shrug:
  • weboinkweboink Member PExer
    wag mo nang pansinin yung mga iyon. Ang hindi ko naman maintindihan sa ibang mga pinoy, kapag nakarinig ng taong nagsasalita sa wikang ingles, parang nagiging biglang mga guro sa ingles, ang bibilis humanap ng mali pati tono hindi nilulubayan. Masyadong nagiging partikular sa lahat ng angulo. Pero kapag nagtagalog naman ang tao, walang paki, walang nagiging guro, walang tumitingin sa baybay o salita kung tama ba ito. Dahil aminin natin, kahit Filipino ang ating pangunahing wikang nakagisnan, marami pa rin tayong mga pagkakamali na nagagawa sa paggamit nito. Pero hindi eh, sa wikang ingles lang ang mga burgis mahilig maghanap ng mali.

Ako, wala akong paki kung ingles o tagalog man ang gamit ng kausap ko, kahit anong tono pa yan ang gamitin niya habang nagsasalita, mapa australian accent, british accent, american accent, bisaya, kapampangan, bulakenyo.

Ang nananatiling mahalaga sa akin, ay kung may saysay ang buod ng kanyang sinasabi.

Walang problema kung itaas man natin ang tingin natin sa wikang ingles mga katoto, ngunit mas mainam kung itataas rin natin sa parehong antas ang ating sariling wika.
  • SIOPAO MANSIOPAO MAN hooah! PExer
    si Anne Curtis napansin ko pag kasama pamilya niya lumalabas yung australian accent niya, pero pag sa ASAP, walang accent :D
  • 3m1L3m1L Phenomenal ✭✭✭
    leporidae wrote:
    Do you people find those with natural good accents irritating, or only those who are obviously faking it?
    Those who are faking it are very irritating. But I don't know how Australian accent sounds. I'm not really irritated with natural accents but I do find the British accent irritating. I just can't stand it. (No offense)

Me and my friend were at a bus stop talking (Tagalog), the Filipina lady asked me how long I've been here etc. So irritating because she's been here for less than a month and she's trying so hard to speak English. She's actually good, but her accent's what I couldn't stand. Just so damn irritating.
  • albert_sy2albert_sy2 Hi! PExer
    I have an American accent (and so do many of the friends from UP). It's just the way we were brought up I guess (Sesame Street, Electric Company, American movies). We don't really much care about what other people think.
  • ayaneayane Member PExer
    3m1L wrote:
    Those who are faking it are very irritating. But I don't know how Australian accent sounds. I'm not really irritated with natural accents but I do find the British accent irritating. I just can't stand it. (No offense)

australian accents and british accents are the same. (at least for me, they sound the same) and unlike you, i just love it! :love:

di ko sila ginagaya or anything, i just love to listen to them talk... :bashful:
  • kenji30kenji30 Member PExer
    everybody have a accent every nation have a accent is just a matter of listening in
  • dream_machinedream_machine tragic paradise soon... PExer
    leporidae wrote:
    Hey everyone,
    I was wondering if many of you find those with proper english accents irritating. I have a fairly strong australian accent, and I find people react to it negatively. They always presume I'm some rich snob, and they feel insecure. So when i'm in the philippines, I just use tagalog.

the natural accents are way better than those of the fake ones... australian and british accents doesn't irritate me at all... i also don't find it hard to understand their accents... basta naiintindihan ko pa yung sinasabi nila...

try understanding Irish accents... mas mahirap... hehe
    Irish accents? Not really. The accent in Leinster and Munster (the "Dublin accent") is clear and easy to understand. Most of the Irish accents are generally easier to understand than their British and Scottish counterparts. Perhaps you're talking about the Scots ("the Trainspotting accent" :D).

:)
  • leporidaeleporidae Member PExer
    I have to say one of the worst accents are from the french.
    Da accents is depends on teh its countrhy by australia its diferents and in america wasmore different like in the england. all there accents is diferents.

leporidae wrote:
    I have to say one of the worst accents are from the french.

Not the best, but I find their English accent interesting. I actually prefer their accent to the Indians'.

:laugh:
  • crocopiecrocopie Luis Suarez No. 7 ✭✭✭
    3m1L wrote:

Me and my friend were at a bus stop talking (Tagalog), the Filipina lady asked me how long I've been here etc. So irritating because she's been here for less than a month and she's trying so hard to speak English. She's actually good, but her accent's what I couldn't stand. Just so damn irritating.

I thought English accents are sexy.
  • Ivan BoeskyIvan Boesky Crook PExer
    You want to hear irritating? Check out the girl who reads the PSE stock prices weekday mornings on 104.3. :(
  • 24242424 Guest PExer
    i hate it when pinoys fake their accents just to look foreign. well infact their face is like a monkeys but trying to speak in a foriegn tone just irritates the hell out of me..ive seen such people who dont look like a foreigner and trying hard to speak with accent, and further more ive seen his saliva poping from the sides of his mouth (just like a horse)yuckk!!!i hate theses kind of people.

well in your case it is not really a problem, just be natural.
    I don't have a problem with Pinoys trying to make their accents better. Some Pinoys who speak English have this really "funny accent" and they are aware of that. If they want to train themselves to have at least a neutral or standard accent, why not? Faking the accent or not, it's good practice. Unfortunately, some people don't understand this important accent reduction and neutralization dynamics in language and linguistics. Remember that speaking a language with a thick foreign accent may interfere with effective communication.

• leporidaeleporidae Member PExer
    Yeah thats what I have learned. Good english does NOT necessarily equal good communication. I learned to just use tagalog/english (not taglish) when making presentations depending on the target audience.
  • yebastickyebastick weigh and consider PExer
    Accent adds flavor to the speaking word. And I'm puzzled why they are irritated by it.

Hey, I love french accent with batangueno tilt - ala eh, monseiur!

:lol:
  • CoolCucumberCoolCucumber HEALTH.FREAK.WANNABE. PExer
    May tumawag na CSR sa opisina. OA sobra ang accent, super fake! OA na American na ewan! Kaya ang ginawa ko, sinabi ko na: "Sorry, hindi ko maintindihan ng sinasabi mo". Edi ayan, nanagalog siya. Feeling. :glee:

:rpflag:
  • peeyaa79peeyaa79 Member PExer
    obvious naman talaga pag fake yung accent. at yun ang kainis talaga!

i find some local radio jocks irritating also. alala ko pa. there was this local tv game show wherein the set of contestants were radio jocks. i think kasama pa sila chico and delamar. one of the contestants answered, quezon city. pero the way he pronounced it was 'kay-zown city'. hindi naman raised from another country at wala naman foreign blood.

tapos, i was able to watch an episode from the first week of pbb celebrity. si rico (from rx93.1 sya, i think) twisted yung tagalog nya. may english twang pa. then a few weeks after, nakapanood ulet ako. straight tagalog na sya. normal pronunciation na. kaartehan lang talaga.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file