Home PEx Campus The Academe

Multiple vs fill in the blank test

Multiple-Choice vs. Essay Type Test'

Thesis Statement: Essay Type test is more effective in evaluating how much a student knows than a Multiple-Choice test.
Topic Sentence: There is a higher chance of just guessing the answer in Multiple-Choice tests than proving an essay.
Topic Sentence: In Multiple-Choice test, it is either right or wrong but essay type test is about how well you answer the question and whether your opinion make sense.
Topic Sentence: Multiple Choice tests have drawbacks; In fact, the question can be misinterpreted or ambiguous.

Please naman. Kunwari kayo yung prosecutors. Criticize my essay naman. please

Comments

• Hello flimmeryrose741, may I know what course this paper is for? As a teacher, I use different types of assessments for different types of reasons. I cannot really say that the essay is better than a multiple choice type of assessment because what is more important in constructing assessments is the test validity - does the test measure what is intended to measure? So I hope this helps you out.
  • Multiple Choice exams for me is a lot more difficult. Lalo na when the last 2 choices are all of the above and none of the above.

there are cases sa engineering na sobrang hirap ng problem, then kapag multiple choice, it's all or nothing, walang partial points for the solutions.
    Problem solving type sa eng'g ang katumbas ng essay type sa ibang colleges eh. It will show you if the student truly understand the topic. Saka sa min, the final answer is not important, its the process on how you get the final answer is the most important thing.

so i prefer talaga essays (or long calculation problem-type of exams).
    But then, maraming batugang teacher na tinatamad mag-check. It's either magpa-multiple choice siya, or strictly all ot nothing sa problem solving, meaning kahit tama ang solutions mo, nagkamali ka lang ng pindot sa calculator, "0" na ang score mo out of 100 points. bad di ba?

Sa board exams, multiple choice. Obviously, para madaling i-check. Computerized kase. In this case, better ang multiple choice (pati sa UPCAT din atbp entrance exam) so that you'll know instantly yung resulta. Para naman hindi na tumagal paghihirap ng kalooban mo. Ahihihi...
    I think my opinion can help you somehow.
  • Essay tests are the best. You test for: 1) recall of core concepts, 2) analytical skills (applying concepts to fact patterns), 3) logic (both in terms of argument construction and drawing relationships between certain analytical blocks).

Usually there's no one "right" answer. The "correct" answer focuses on how well the skills mentioned above are deployed.
  • open notes lang sa akin. wala eh, doon lang tayo uubra
  • ^^^^^

actually engineering exams, for our majors, are open notes, open books, open everything except your paper to your seatmate. And yet, very few pass the exams. Usually ito for essay type (yung calculations and problem solving for engrs... which require 2-3 yellow pad per item).
    Kapag kase multiple choice may objective type so bawal books.

Pero da best pa rin ang exam na nagbibigay ng credit for the effort and for the long solutions/analysis before arriving at a final answer.
  • saka sa true or false ayos din tayo dyan
  • The object of the essay should be to test the ability to discuss, evaluate, analyse, summarise and criticise. Two dangers with essays are that they are easy to plagiarise, and that undue weight is often given to factors such as style, handwriting and grammar.

Multiple-choice tests are made to test the ability to recognize concepts, organized personal thoughts, discriminate between fact and opinion, judge the relevance of information, and so on.

But as bugstop1 said, the usefulness and appropriateness of the test depends largely on the validity and reliability of construction. Multiple-choice test is more amenable to validity and reliability tests as compared to essay type.
  • uhm this is for my english course.
  • I'm not going to give my own opinion regarding multiple-choice tests and essay tests. I'm going to criticize what you've put up about your essay, just like you have asked.

Thesis Statement: Essay Type test is more effective in evaluating how much a student knows than a Multiple-Choice test.
    Topic Sentence: There is a higher chance of just guessing the answer in Multiple-Choice tests than proving an essay.

The problem with that is that presumes that the higher probability in guessing the answer necessarily makes it less effective in evaluation.

In fact, many multiple-choice test results are already measured to compensate for that -- the idea that the score falls into a 'range', rather than the score being the ultimate measure in itself.

This is done on the SATs, where a score of 760 in one test is practically the same as a perfect score of 800. In fact, many universities consider applicants on equal footing with regards to the SAT when their test scores only differ by about 50 points.

And even if the greater probability to guess exists, given that there already is the idea of the score range, the correct guesses will not have a considerable effect on the score. Meaning it can still be an effective means of evaluation.

That being said, an essay-type test can also be "guessed". Incorporating common sense and stock knowledge to analyse the little things a student knows about the lesson goes a long way. So what comes out on the paper is not necessarily what the student learned from the lesson. Meaning it can also be ineffective.
    Topic Sentence: In Multiple-Choice test, it is either right or wrong but essay type test is about how well you answer the question and whether your opinion make sense.

The problem with this is the presumption that being either right or wrong necessarily makes evaluation less effective.

Just like in previous posts, a lot of things can be evaluated better when one is either right or wrong.
    Topic Sentence: Multiple Choice tests have drawbacks; In fact, the question can be misinterpreted or ambiguous.

Essay questions have drawbacks too. They can also be misinterpretted. They can also be ambiguous. In fact, the dangers of an essay question being misinterpreted or ambiguous are much more dangerous than that of a multiple choice question.

In fact, essay questions are more likely to be misinterpreted, because at least given a set of choices, the examinee can always interpolate the meaning of the question.
  • Multiple-Choice vs. Essay Type Test'

Please naman. Kunwari kayo yung prosecutors. Criticize my essay naman. please

multiple items, 25 percent ang chances na makuha ang tamang sagot...depende kung ilan items, kadlasan 4 choices..then sa essay, mas subjective ang way of testing the learning skills of the students..tas sa multiple choice, lower learning style lang ang itinetest...knolwgde, at comprehension lang..pero pag essay pedeng lahat applicable pede ang application, analysis, synthesis, evaluation (higher thinking styles yan)...so, kung prof ka, mas okie ang essay, pero mas madaling mag-check ng multiple choise, pero sa multiple choise pede ka ring mag-construct ng higher thinking style na test...sa essay, me bias kacng involve kaya mas malaking magkaroon ng contamination sa test...pero pag-multiple mas madaling mangopya...depende naman sa prof yan eh...at sa students ability...
  • I agree with most of followyoudown's points.

In addition, essay type questions can assess the depth of ones knowledge, while multiple choice questions assess the breadth. Thus, a combination of both is more ideal.

I'd suggest you to rephrase this. It sounds like a highschool thesis. Wait..are you in highschool or university?

This points out the problem in essays tests because "correct" is very subjective in some situations. The marker would only give high marks to answers that are in tune to his own understanding.
  • KuyaDannyKuyaDanny Moderator PEx Moderator
    How about this kind of essay question:

1) Discuss everything you know about World War II.
  • KuyaDanny wrote:
    How about this kind of essay question:

1) Discuss everything you know about World War II.
    All I know is that the Japanese wreacked havoc here in the Philippines and the US dropped weapons of mass destruction in Japan and they also bombarded Dresden in Germany with explosions. Dresden at that time was considered a haven in this world.

And not to mention, this was the era when the radar was invented and made and the era when Hitler made his greatest conquests and ironically, his biggest mistake -- considering nuclear science as Jewish Science. We all know he's a staunch hater of the Jews and he killed millions of them. If he only considered nuclear science as promising, we might have still been the Axis Powers' control until now -- or maybe we won't have any world to live now. :p