Home PEx Campus The Academe

How hard is it to get into UP Med school from Ateneo?

I've heard that it's next to impossible. Perhaps I am completely wrong though...

Can anyone give me any insight on this topic? And NO bashing please.

Comments

• Akala ko lang ba sa Law Schools lang related ang thing na ito. Pati pala sa Med Schools. :rotflmao:

Flamebait! :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin:
  • Super hard..... if you really want to go to UP Med School...dun ka na lang mag-pre med dahil may edge ka pa.....During my time, 3 lang nakapasok sa UP...sa UST - they give priority to students who took pre-med there and to those applicants whose parents studied there........ siguro mga < 10 lang nakapasok sa UST sa batch ko.......most of us went to UERM.......which was ok kasi i really wanted to study in Ateneo in the first place......most of my classmates in UERM were from Ateneo and UP also.........the Ateneo Med School will be opening na raw....probably 2007... so if you're a freshman....aabutin mo na yon....... In the end, if you're given the chance, it's nice to have an Ateneo education..........
  • Akala ko lang ba sa Law Schools lang related ang thing na ito. Pati pala sa Med Schools. :rotflmao:

Flamebait!
    Did I NOT say
    > NO bashing please???

There's also a good number of doctor wanabes in Ateneo college. why did those people choose Ateneo? I don't know. I suspect in part for resources (new buildings). I suspect in part for the strength of the student body. I suspect in part for the history (Rizal, et.al). I suspect they're NOT that smart to get into UP and/or La Salle pre-med courses (mostly UPCAT rejects). I suspect "trip" lang nila talaga mag Ateneo (takot sa UP premed).
  • Super hard.....
    I wanted to know why is that so. Is it because Ateneo is not preparing its premed students well and are usually getting low scores in the NMAT?

Let's take La Salle vs UPLB's case for example.

Well, the point is that when you are talking about UP-Med, then the deck is clearly stacked in favor of UP premed (UPD, UPM, UPLB). After all, UP-Medical School provides admissions preference to UP premed grads. (Or am I wrong about this???) A higher percentage of UP Med School premed grads compared to La Salle-Taft grads will be UP premed grads. The net effect is that UP-Medical School will admit UPLB premeds who are of slightly lower quality than La Salle premeds, and the UPLB premeds will tend to want to go to UP-Med, compared to La Salle premeds in order to take advantage of the low tuition and world-class medical training.

Yet the facts demonstrate that even with the deck stacked against them, La Salle premeds STILL do better than do UPLB premeds.

if you really want to go to UP Med School...dun ka na lang mag-pre med dahil may edge ka pa.....During my time, 3 lang nakapasok sa UP...sa UST - they give priority to students who took pre-med there and to those applicants whose parents studied there........ siguro mga < 10 lang nakapasok sa UST sa batch ko.......most of us went to UERM.......which was ok kasi i really wanted to study in Ateneo in the first place......most of my classmates in UERM were from Ateneo and UP also.........the Ateneo Med School will be opening na raw....probably 2007... so if you're a freshman....aabutin mo na yon....... In the end, if you're given the chance, it's nice to have an Ateneo education..........

This preferential thing holds above all other courses only in Management Engineering, not the premed programme. I believe this is in part because the undergrad programme of Ateneo is geared towards Business School or Law School, which is unheard of in the elite premed circles. But in UP, most are aware of the gap in quality of their premed programmes. What's your view?
  • Easy if you finish Interdisciplinary Studies.
  • good thing ateneo will be introducing its med program soon.
  • it is really hard for ateneans to enter UP because UP prioritizes those from provinces. UP assumed that ateneans can afford to go to expensive schools. if an atenean does not get into UP med, it is not a reflection of poor intellect but a result of UP's socialized system. i know an atenean who got 100% in NMAT but she was not able to make it to UP because UP thought that she was rich. If you want to make it to UP, you must put the most remote address you can possibly have. If you have relatives in tawi-tawi, sulo, etc, put that address in the application form to have a better chance of making it to UP.
  • Pano yung mga probinsyanong Atenista tulad ni preacher000? ;)
  • babyb0y1 wrote:
    it is really hard for ateneans to enter UP because UP prioritizes those from provinces. UP assumed that ateneans can afford to go to expensive schools. if an atenean does not get into UP med, it is not a reflection of poor intellect but a result of UP's socialized system. i know an atenean who got 100% in NMAT but she was not able to make it to UP because UP thought that she was rich. If you want to make it to UP, you must put the most remote address you can possibly have. If you have relatives in tawi-tawi, sulo, etc, put that address in the application form to have a better chance of making it to UP.

But a survey result shows that UP Med students are mostly from Manila schools. Here's an example for the class of 2009:

64 - UP Diliman
    32 - UP Manila
    9 - DLSU
    4 - UPLB
    2 - UST
    2 - Ateneo
    2 - Velez College (Cebu)
    1 - SLU
    1 - FEU
    1 - MSU-IIT
    1 - AdDU
    1 - XU
    1 - CLSU
    1 - UST
    1 - ???? Bicol
    1 - ???? San Fernando, Pampanga
    1 - ??? Cagayan de Oro

exclsuing intarmed students. And I know for a fact that no one has ever perfected the NMAT. The closest to have ever done that was by a UPIS grad from class of 2007. She will graduate from a degree of doctor of medicine next year.

Please check your facts.
  • ^ ^ Please provide the link. Otherwise, is this another tampered propaganda like many other false claims made in PEx by the Warwick guy from Leyte?
  • It might be difficult but it's possible especially those with high honors (magna ***** laudes) and above cutoff in NMAT (90), I spoke with some recent grads and some faculty told them that they don't emphasize the NMAT as long as you make the cutoff. Grades and interview matter a lot. There were honor students from La salle and Ateneo.
    In terms of regionalization, it may be overhyped as a lot of those from the southern provinces are actually richer than some from Metro manilans. They consider where your family is living but a lot of them have been living in NCR since high school. Most of them are honor students so I don't think regionalization is a grave injustice to anybody.

• Let's take La Salle vs UPLB's case for example.

Well, the point is that when you are talking about UP-Med, then the deck is clearly stacked in favor of UP premed (UPD, UPM, UPLB). After all, UP-Medical School provides admissions preference to UP premed grads. (Or am I wrong about this???) A higher percentage of UP Med School premed grads compared to La Salle-Taft grads will be UP premed grads. The net effect is that UP-Medical School will admit UPLB premeds who are of slightly lower quality than La Salle premeds, and the UPLB premeds will tend to want to go to UP-Med, compared to La Salle premeds in order to take advantage of the low tuition and world-class medical training.

Yet the facts demonstrate that even with the deck stacked against them, La Salle premeds STILL do better than do UPLB premeds.

This preferential thing holds above all other courses only in Management Engineering, not the premed programme. I believe this is in part because the undergrad programme of Ateneo is geared towards Business School or Law School, which is unheard of in the elite premed circles. But in UP, most are aware of the gap in quality of their premed programmes. What's your view?

UPLB "premeds" who are of slightly lower quality than La Salle premeds? What makes you think that UPLB has a premed program? Yes, it has a BS Biology program, but UPLB doesn't treat it as a premed program, unlike UP Manila, DLSU and Ateneo (not sure about Diliman). UPLB's BS biology program focuses on producing researchers in the field, not doctors. After they graduate, they are expected to work for research institutions, specifically those based in UPLB like:

Institute of Plant Breeding http://www.uplb.edu.ph/ca/ipb/main/
    International Rice Research Institute http://www.irri.org
    and the National Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology http://www.uplb.edu.ph/admin/ovcre/biotech/about_us.html

among others. A lot of them also end up in private research institutions (monsanto, pfizer, etc) which is the reason why there aren't a lot of UPLB graduates who take up medicine. They are encouraged to take up specialized graduate courses such as genetics, microbiology and biotechnology to address the country's chronic lack of researchers http://www.uplb.edu.ph/cas/grad.shtml

I wonder if you guys in la salle have internationally-recognized PhD programs in genetics, microbiology and chemistry? How about highly specialized biological research institutions?

While there's a lack of doctors in the country, there's actually a bigger lack of researchers in biotechnology and genetics because it isn't as popular, probably because it's difficult and the pay isn't as lucrative. Imagine spending at least six years in graduate school (MS and PhD) and get paid only a fraction of what a doctor, CEO or a La Salle professor earns. Even so, I'm proud to say that UPLB has produced a lot of scientists in the field who have sacrificed their lives to serve the country as UPLB researchers, producing scientific breakthroughs that la salle biology graduates can only dream of producing. Want proof of this? check these websites out

http://www.bic.searca.org/news/2004/nov/phi/28.html
    http://www.biotech-info.net/no_threat.html
    http://www.uplb.edu.ph/admin/ovcre/biotech/matt.html
    http://www.up.edu.ph/forum/2002/Aug02/davide.html
    http://www.stii.dost.gov.ph/sntpost/frames/october2001/pg_15.htm
    http://www.gov.ph/news/default.asp?i=13930

These are only a few of what UPLB scientists have done to serve our nation, many of whom are UPLB BS Biology grads. Of course they're free to take up medicine after they graduate if they want to, but their natural disposition is to be researchers, which is why there are only a few of them who apply at UP College of Medicine. I hope that next time you'll do a little more research before making comments like that.
  • nacho salsa:

JeoffDomingo is not from La Salle or UP.

He's from the Warwickian School of Leyte.
  • warwickan school of leyte? pretender huh?
  • sorry ha, but what is warwickian school of leyte?
    bad ba si jeoff domingo? just asking...

I also intend to go to UP PGH before I graduated, but then, I decided to work na lang and pursue MS next year. My friend wanted also... but he's grade is 2.04 so hindi sya pwede. 2.00 cut-off for boys kase dun. For girls 1.75.
    wala lang. I don't know if this is also applicable to students of other schools who want to take Med-proper sa UP PGH.

One friend also scored 96% sa NMAT but her grade is 1.99 so she was not admitted. Truly tough sya not only for UP grads for all... I don't think may discrimination dito or priorities.
  • KuyaDannyKuyaDanny Moderator PEx Moderator
    Bakit magkaiba pa ang cutoff sa babae at lalaki?
  • ^ The college needs a class with an equal number of males and females. Hence, there are separate selection processes and maybe separate criteria. But in the last few years, it appeared that female applicants had higher GWA, hence the perceived cutoff requirement had become relatively higher, but not definite as it can also vary every year for both sexes.
  • KuyaDannyKuyaDanny Moderator PEx Moderator
    Oh. OK. Another stupid question - why are equal numbers of males and females needed? I hope they are not going to teach ballroom dancing. :)
  • baka may laro every day. Boys vs Girls. Ayan para pantay ahihihih
  • Super hard..... if you really want to go to UP Med School...dun ka na lang mag-pre med dahil may edge ka pa.....During my time, 3 lang nakapasok sa UP...sa UST - they give priority to students who took pre-med there and to those applicants whose parents studied there........ siguro mga < 10 lang nakapasok sa UST sa batch ko.......most of us went to UERM.......which was ok kasi i really wanted to study in Ateneo in the first place......most of my classmates in UERM were from Ateneo and UP also.........the Ateneo Med School will be opening na raw....probably 2007... so if you're a freshman....aabutin mo na yon....... In the end, if you're given the chance, it's nice to have an Ateneo education..........

I think weluvzanjoe is right. It may be quite hard to get into UP if youre not a UP graduate. UP has always been preferential to its own graduates and considering that medicine is a course that should be (or is) preferably taken continuously, unlike Law which you can take 10 years after college graduation, one has to bear in mind that admission in the best med school in the country is more cutthroat. Imagine that,say the annual opening in UP Med school in Manila could only accomodate 500 students. And you could imagine that graduates of Biology, Chemistry, Psychology,Bio-chem, etc. of UP Diliman alone exceed that number (assuming they all want to be doctors thats why they took those courses) . Plus, you have to take into consideration as well the graduates of these courses in the provincial branches of UP, who would also want to take their medicine proper in UP Manila. And UP prides itself in taking only the best as these pre-med courses are usually quota courses.

Ateneo, on the other hand, only produces less than 120 graduates of combined Chem,Biology and BS Psychology (well during my batch anyway) courses. So I naturally assume that majority of those admitted by the UPMed School administrators would be definitely from its UP campuses all over the country by the sole fact they outnumbered Atenean students in sheer volume alone, or other schools' for that matter. Of course to be fair, they have to take in a small percentage of graduates from the other schools. Probably they would take in the really brilliant ones from these schools who deserve to be scholars.

Case in point: Who would UP Med take in given this scenario:

A Magna ***** Laude Bio graduate of Ateneo who had a NMAT rating of, say, 93%, Parents produce in a combined income of P2M annually as revealed in the interview.

A ***** Laude Psych graduate of UP Los Banos who obtained a rating of say, 92.96%, Parents live on a combined income of say P300,000 a year as revealed in the inetrview

Between the 2, I'm pretty sure UP would still choose the UP graduate. They would always say that the UP graduate is more deserving because the Ateneo graduate can study Medicine anywhere but UP may be the only chance of the UP scholar to get an actual medicine education.

Just my 2 cents worth.

But just take joy in the fact that Ateneo is opening its medical school already.
    I've always lamented the fact that Ateneo has always been strong in its liberal arts program but its science/engineering areas could still do more. Glad to hear that Ateneo is now giving priority to its scienece and engineering departments. Its a start. ^_^

(But I'm thinking that future Atenean doctors might not be as well-rounded as their UP counterparts because the Atenean doctors might only be trained to handle "diseases of the affluent" like highblood, diabetes,heart diseases etc in the Medical City. :lol: :rotflmao: as compared to UP doctors who aside from the "diseases of the affluent,"would know what to do in cases of malaria, dengue,tuberculosis, the normal cases in PGH.:lol:

OT: On a more cynical note... Hehehe, mag-nursing ka na lang. Mas malaki kita ng mga nurses abroad kesa doctors here. Hindi pa 8 years ang pagpapaguran mo:p