Home PEx Hobbies Books and Literature

Fully Booked or Powerbooks?

Im trying to do a research between two largest book specialty stores. The 2 seems to be racing in gaining a foothold in the market. So which you would prefer, FULLY BOOKED or POWERBOOKS? Here's the guidelines:

A.) Book Selections :hmm:
sinong mas marami at mas magandang selections?

B.) Services ;)
Sinong mas may friendlier na staff at mas nago-offer ng convenient na service?

c.) Brand Recognition :confused:
Sinong mas pinupuntahan at naalala pag may kailangan na book?

D.) Loyalty *okay*
are you loyal to the said store? why?

i didnt include National Book Store as theyare already known to all of us Pinoy. Im more curious to these two. Please help me build a concrete research that would be based on customer's feedback!

Log on, Bibiliophile!!! :rotflmao: ;)

Comments

• for me powerbooks dahil i i think mas reasonable ang price ng books........... i did not buy a book in fully booked yet..........
  • thank you for reply...hope you'd invite your other friends to check this one out..many thanks!
  • Powerbooks!!!!
    wala lang... hehehehehehehe
  • both. there are some books I found at Fully Booked first before they found their way to Powerbook's shelves and vice versa. sometimes, one store would have titles the other doesn't carry. Too, I think it also depends on the particular market each bookstore is catering to, hence, the difference in stocks that they carry. This ultimately benefits me as the consumer, since I can check out books between these two and get a better bargain in the process :)
  • ^ alam mo, correct ka dyan !
  • scavenger ako sa booksales eh. panu ba yan..?
  • errrrrrrrr mas madalas... mas mura pa nga sa fullybooked kaysa sa powerbooks... icheck muna ang price. May photography book kasi ako na nabili na mas mahal sa powerbooks ng mga P200
  • fullybooked.
  • i wud recommend fullybooked. The selection is so wide you'll go crazy with the assortment of subjects that you read. I have bought about 10 pieces of books there and they're cheaper by at least P50.00 compared sa powerbooks.

Well, sa powerbooks, i find the staff friendlier tho sa Fullybooked, they got younger staff who don't know their products.

Bottomline is you'll get your money's worth, and you can scan a lot of books. Heaven !! :D
  • magnabashmagnabash PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    zaimu wrote:
    Im trying to do a research between two largest book specialty stores. The 2 seems to be racing in gaining a foothold in the market. So which you would prefer, FULLY BOOKED or POWERBOOKS? Here's the guidelines:

sinong mas marami at mas magandang selections?

B.) Services ;)
    Sinong mas may friendlier na staff at mas nago-offer ng convenient na service?

c.) Brand Recognition :confused:
    Sinong mas pinupuntahan at naalala pag may kailangan na book?

D.) Loyalty *okay*
    are you loyal to the said store? why?

i didnt include National Book Store as theyare already known to all of us Pinoy. Im more curious to these two. Please help me build a concrete research that would be based on customer's feedback!

Log on, Bibiliophile!!! :rotflmao: ;)

For me, it depends on the book/s you are looking for.
    For example,yung The Wedding at Message In A Bottle na UK Edition ni Nicholas Sparks, wala sa National Book Store, the two books is available in Powerbooks in Robinsons Ermita.

At isa p yung movie-tie-in edition ko ng About A Boy worth 605 na nabili ko sa Powerbooks in Robinsons Ermita, mas mura sa Fully Booked in SM Mall Of Asia. Hindi ko alam kung US or UK yung nakita kong About A Boy sa Fully Booked in SM Mall Of Asia.
  • BzouBzou PExer
    Saan ba yung branches ng Fully Booked? Ther eason why I fo for Powerbooks kasi mas marami syang branches... and they seem to have plenty of bargains too.
  • I've been a powerbooks buyer for the longest time, so i have a powercard already, i.e., automatic 10% discount. However, now that I'm in Law School, i.e., the school in Rockwell, I've had more opportunity to scour the books in Fully Booked and have found that they have a somewhat better selection of books. For the hard to find books though, you have to go to A different Bookstore.
  • powerbooks for me coz mas napupuntahan ko mga branches nila. and i also have the powercard plus so siyempre, discount.
  • Powerbooks has:
    1. More branches
    2. Aggressive and regular "bargain" bins

Fully booked has:
    1. Wider selection of books
    2. Lower price (marginal)

The other factors are more or less equal like staff training, product and category knowledge, store lighting and layout etc.

I go to the two bookstores but I bought more books from fully booked especially if they offer the paperback version of a hardbound copy. Powerbooks purchases are skewed towards books in the bargain bins.

By the way, don't miss the cut price booksale of NBS :D
  • Nivla_PoaNivla_Poa PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    A.) Book Selections
    I personally find Fully Booked to be better stocked. Mas marami rin siya ng talagang magagandang libro... however, Powerbooks is no slouch recently either. They're getting better at finding good quality books.

However, Powerbooks simply has more branches.

B.) Services
    I think they're quite equal in this aspect. I was surprised when the Powerbooks staff were quite conversant on the book on yoga I was looking for and even managed to suggest other books. Fully Booked naman gives you the feeling that their staff has read some of their selections.

c.) Brand Recognition
    Definite advantage ang Powerbooks dito... more branches=more exposure=more brand recall

D.) Loyalty
    Dahil sa may branch ng Powerbooks sa Makati (actually, dalawa pa) mas madalas ako sa kanila. May card pa nga for discounts of purchases worth P2000.
  • ArchimedesArchimedes PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Fullybooked – May 10% discount card na rin ang Fullybooked. It has a wider choice of titles.
    Powerbooks has a better brand recall and more branches. Gumaganda na rin ang choice of titles nila kaysa before

If you would observe, Fullybooked branches in Rockwell and Greenhills are not in the high visibility areas, hence lower rental costs means lower book prices
    Contrast this to the strategic store location of Powerbooks branches in malls that contributes to its visibility but contribute to its high price ceiling. But I also found that there are also some books where Powerbooks’ titles are cheaper than Fullybooked.

If a title is out of stock or hard to find, both Bookstores also have reservations (3-6 weeks waiting period), and they also accept special orders where you pay 50% downpayment

So who do you think will win? I guess both of them will be here for the long run, but I think Fullybooked would be more profitable because of its strategy of lower rental costs factor with the widest choice of selections as more and more people would flock to its stores. It’s a bookworm’s paradise.
  • I do not know since I've never attempted to get in these bookstores. I've always been loyal to National Bookstore :D
  • I think for selection, it's just a matter of showcasing the newest titles. Kasi sometimes, I see a book at fully booked that i dont see in powerbooks RIGHT AWAY pero when I ask them, it's available naman and cheaper pa.

Although there really are some titles that are cheaper in Fully booked than in Powerbooks, it's still generally cheaper in Powerbooks. I believe they're almost the same price as National bookstore!

I also think some fully booked staff are a bit snobby. Siguro din with the image they're trying to project na they're for the AB market ONLY. I had an experience when i went there wearing capris and slippers and the staff was impatient if not totally rude with me kasi I was asking for a lot of books. This was a few months ago lang, I dont know if the service improved na. With Powerbooks, they have friendly staff and the sales people are very accommodating. There are some fully booked staff who REALLY know their books but there are more who answer you with just a questioning look. In Powerbooks, I noticed that if a sales person is not familiar with a book you want, they'll forward you to the customer service to be able to identify where to look.

For me, it's still Powerbooks. By the way, do you guys know that they already opened their outlet store in their head office already? I think it's in Pasig, just not sure what the address is kasi I just hitched a ride with a friend when I went there. It's really nice! It's airconditioned - pretty much like a regular branch and there are a lot of good deals inside. Imagine, getting 20% off forever. The only set back is they dont have a lot of the newer titles like Mitch Albom's new book or other stuff. But there are still a lot of good deals.
  • powerbooks at national bookstore father and son may ari. mas wider selection ng fullybooked me branch na sila sa the block sa sm north edsa
  • seller06 wrote:
    powerbooks at national bookstore father and son may ari. mas wider selection ng fullybooked me branch na sila sa the block sa sm north edsa

I think the owner of National Bookstore is the grandmother of the person who's handling Powerbooks. I read it in an article in a major daily. :)