Bill Gates On LIFE

simoensimoen I'm Simone PExer
-- Primarily by Bill Gates

billgates.jpg

Love him or hate him, he sure hits the nail on the head with this...

To anyone with kids, of any age, or anyone who has ever been a kid, here's some advice Bill Gates dished out at a high school speech about 11 things they did not learn in school. He talks about how feel-good politically correct teachings created a full generation of kids with no concept of reality and how this concept set them up for failure in the real world.

Rule 1: Life is not fair - get used to it.

Rule 2: The world won't care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.

Rule 3: You will NOT make 40 thousand dollars a year right out of high school. You won't be a vice-president with a car phone, until you earn both.

Rule 4: If you think your teacher is tough, wait until you get a boss. He doesn't have tenure.

Rule 5: Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your grandparents had a different word for burger flipping - they called it opportunity.

Rule 6: If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault, so don't whine about your mistakes, learn from them.

Rule 7: Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are. So, before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parents' generation, try delousing the closet in your own room.

Rule 8: Your school may have done away with winners and losers but life has not. In some schools they have abolished failing grades and they'll give you as many times as you want to get the right answer. This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

Rule 9: Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off and very few employers are interested in helping you find yourself. Do that on your own time.

Rule 10: Television is NOT real life (nor are video games). In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

Rule 11: Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.

William (Bill) H. Gates is chairman and chief software architect of Microsoft Corporation, the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions that help people and businesses realize their full potential. Microsoft had revenues of US$36.84 billion for the fiscal year ending June 2004, and employs more than 55,000 people in 85 countries and regions.
I got this from here. It seemed pretty funny and very true so just wanted to share it.

Comments

  • 24242424 Guest PExer
    simoen wrote:
    -- Primarily by Bill Gates

    billgates.jpg

    Love him or hate him, he sure hits the nail on the head with this...



    Rule 11: Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.

    William (Bill) H. Gates is chairman and chief software architect of Microsoft Corporation, the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions that help people and businesses realize their full potential. Microsoft had revenues of US$36.84 billion for the fiscal year ending June 2004, and employs more than 55,000 people in 85 countries and regions.
    I got this from here. It seemed pretty funny and very true so just wanted to share it.

    this is his chance to brag about himself, cant blame the man; he sure is a sucess afterall.
  • ayaneayane Member PExer
    2424 wrote:
    this is his chance to brag about himself, cant blame the man; he sure is a sucess afterall.

    is true anyway. morons don't really climb up the corporate ladder, much less own one. (unless of course your family gave you that ladder to climb or you ran for a position in the philippine government! :rotflmao: )
  • SweetkaySweetkay looking for my next mistake PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    And even if your family paved the way for you to climb the ladder, if you don't know what to do on top, chances are, you will fall with a bang.

    In a Nutshell and Kay's Arts and Crafts
  • cashwriterscashwriters EntrePinoy PExer
    2424 wrote:
    this is his chance to brag about himself, cant blame the man; he sure is a sucess afterall.

    He's not bragging about himself. He's just sharing the attitude and thinking that creates success. He's just pointing out to people who slack, who always look for an excuse, who always depend on others, who don't produce results that there is a better way. *okay*
  • 24242424 Guest PExer
    cashwriters, :) im referring to rule 11, indeed he is prooving something there.

    ayane, yeah its some sort of a dynasty, not only in politics but in showbusiness as well. :)
  • sheerYOUSmodesheerYOUSmode can you dig? PExer
    Rule 8: Your school may have done away with winners and losers but life has not. In some schools they have abolished failing grades and they'll give you as many times as you want to get the right answer. This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

    well, he should know.

    he's a harvard kick-out by the way.

    but still he paved his way to the top.
  • cashwriterscashwriters EntrePinoy PExer
    2424 wrote:
    cashwriters, :) im referring to rule 11, indeed he is prooving something there.

    Re rule 11, he's not bragging. It's true. Much of the people that end up being on top of the business, politics, and artistic game are those that were marginalized or misunderstood when they were younger. These are the group of people with "something to prove."
  • cashwriterscashwriters EntrePinoy PExer
    well, he should know.

    he's a harvard kick-out by the way.

    but still he paved his way to the top.

    Big difference between kick out and drop out. He's one of the latter.
  • clawed_outclawed_out Banned by Admin PExer
    old news...

    old values...
  • sheerYOUSmodesheerYOUSmode can you dig? PExer
    Big difference between kick out and drop out. He's one of the latter.

    but I believed he got kicked out of harvard for hacking its library system. we came across that one during our programming class.

    i maybe wrong though (or our cs professor, for that matter). well, if that's the case, then my bad.

    ;)
  • sheerYOUSmodesheerYOUSmode can you dig? PExer
    ^ nah uh.. that was supposed to be believe by the way, not believed. sorry.. i got confused. :(

    my bad.
  • 17181718 android PExer
    nice find. thanks for sharing this one
  • 17181718 android PExer
    Origins: No, this list didn't originate with Microsoft head Bill Gates. (It's frequently cited on the Internet as having come from his book Business @ The Speed of Thought, but it didn't.) Why it's attributed to Gates is a mystery to us; it doesn't really sound the least bit like something he would write. Possibly, the item the Internet-circulated version of the list generally ends with ("Be nice to nerds") struck a chord with someone who views Gates as the ultimate successful nerd of all time.

    One version that appeared on the Internet in June 2002 asserts this is the text of a commencement speech given by Bill Gates to the graduating class of Mt. Whitney High School in Visalia, California. It isn't — he didn't give such a speech, and folks at that school are mystified as to why they've been dragged into this apocryphal story.

    Nor is this list the work of Kurt Vonnegut, another person to whom authorship has been attributed. A clue found in those versions ("From a college graduation speech by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.") explains why folks want to lay these random words of wisdom on his doorstep: In 1998, the Internet was swept with a narrative that has come to be known as the Vonnegut sunscreen speech. That work of inventive fiction was actually the product of Chicago Tribune writer Mary Schmich, but Internet-circulated versions claimed it was a college graduation speech given by Kurt Vonnegut. Vonnegut thus became associated in the minds of some people with pithy advice to young adults.

    This list is the work of Charles J. Sykes, author of the book Dumbing Down Our Kids: Why American Children Feel Good About Themselves But Can't Read, Write, Or Add. (The list has appeared in newspapers, although not necessarily in this book.) Many versions omit the last three rules:


    Rule No. 12: Smoking does not make you look cool. It makes you look moronic. Next time you're out cruising, watch an 11-year-old with a butt in his mouth. That's what you look like to anyone over 20. Ditto for "expressing yourself" with purple hair and/or pierced body parts.
    Rule No. 13: You are not immortal. (See Rule No. 12.) If you are under the impression that living fast, dying young and leaving a beautiful corpse is romantic, you obviously haven't seen one of your peers at room temperature lately.

    Rule No. 14: Enjoy this while you can. Sure parents are a pain, school's a bother, and life is depressing. But someday you'll realize how wonderful it was to be a kid. Maybe you should start now. You're welcome.


    Advice columnist Ann Landers has printed the first ten items (uncredited) several times, and the list has been used by radio commentator Paul Harvey. The prize for misattribution, however, has to go to The Atlanta Journal and Constitution, which printed the list twice in three weeks in mid-2000, the first time crediting it to "Duluth state Rep. Brooks Coleman of Duluth," and the second time to Bill Gates.

    souce: http://www.snopes.com/language/document/liferule.htm

    i had to investigate, didn't sound like something bill gates would say..o well.. though its not from him..the essence is still good.
  • cashwriterscashwriters EntrePinoy PExer
    Even if it is misattributed it still retains it's core value. Kids nowadays are raised to be dependent whiners. I am involved with a few companies here in the Philippines--BPO. Many new employees drop out after a few days or weeks despite the fact that they get paid well. There's no long term vision. There's no sense of responsibility and loyalty. I mean, if the person went through 3 interviews, went to an all day orientation, went to training sessions, then quits after 5 days......shouldn't the person have quit earlier?
    :confused:
    1718 wrote:
    Origins: No, this list didn't originate with Microsoft head Bill Gates. (It's frequently cited on the Internet as having come from his book Business @ The Speed of Thought, but it didn't.) Why it's attributed to Gates is a mystery to us; it doesn't really sound the least bit like something he would write. Possibly, the item the Internet-circulated version of the list generally ends with ("Be nice to nerds") struck a chord with someone who views Gates as the ultimate successful nerd of all time.

    One version that appeared on the Internet in June 2002 asserts this is the text of a commencement speech given by Bill Gates to the graduating class of Mt. Whitney High School in Visalia, California. It isn't — he didn't give such a speech, and folks at that school are mystified as to why they've been dragged into this apocryphal story.

    Nor is this list the work of Kurt Vonnegut, another person to whom authorship has been attributed. A clue found in those versions ("From a college graduation speech by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.") explains why folks want to lay these random words of wisdom on his doorstep: In 1998, the Internet was swept with a narrative that has come to be known as the Vonnegut sunscreen speech. That work of inventive fiction was actually the product of Chicago Tribune writer Mary Schmich, but Internet-circulated versions claimed it was a college graduation speech given by Kurt Vonnegut. Vonnegut thus became associated in the minds of some people with pithy advice to young adults.

    This list is the work of Charles J. Sykes, author of the book Dumbing Down Our Kids: Why American Children Feel Good About Themselves But Can't Read, Write, Or Add. (The list has appeared in newspapers, although not necessarily in this book.) Many versions omit the last three rules:


    Rule No. 12: Smoking does not make you look cool. It makes you look moronic. Next time you're out cruising, watch an 11-year-old with a butt in his mouth. That's what you look like to anyone over 20. Ditto for "expressing yourself" with purple hair and/or pierced body parts.
    Rule No. 13: You are not immortal. (See Rule No. 12.) If you are under the impression that living fast, dying young and leaving a beautiful corpse is romantic, you obviously haven't seen one of your peers at room temperature lately.

    Rule No. 14: Enjoy this while you can. Sure parents are a pain, school's a bother, and life is depressing. But someday you'll realize how wonderful it was to be a kid. Maybe you should start now. You're welcome.


    Advice columnist Ann Landers has printed the first ten items (uncredited) several times, and the list has been used by radio commentator Paul Harvey. The prize for misattribution, however, has to go to The Atlanta Journal and Constitution, which printed the list twice in three weeks in mid-2000, the first time crediting it to "Duluth state Rep. Brooks Coleman of Duluth," and the second time to Bill Gates.

    souce: http://www.snopes.com/language/document/liferule.htm

    i had to investigate, didn't sound like something bill gates would say..o well.. though its not from him..the essence is still good.
  • orangepinkorangepink orange != pink PExer
    1718 wrote:
    But someday you'll realize how wonderful it was to be a kid.

    so true!!! amen!!! sometimes, i yearn for the carefree life of a kid. puro laro lang iniisip natin nun.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file