COMMUNITY NOTICE: Please send your reports, concerns and other inquiries to admin "pexer99". This account will handle all community functions for PinoyExchange. You can also email us at [email protected] For category related concerns, you can also send a message to one of our moderators. Check the updated list of moderators here

PLDT myDSL

I looked at the personal package of PLDT DSL, and it looks ok.

Total Start-up Cost will include:
Monthly service feeP 2,000
Modem rentalFREE
Installation fee *P 1,500
Total Start-up Cost (vat inclusive)P 3,500

up to 128kbps download
up to 64kbps upload
unlimited internet access
one (1) email address (up to 5MB)
web hosting (up to 3MB)

· You must have an ethernet card (10-Base t) installed in your computer prior to DSL installation.

How much does this kind of ethernet card cost? Ballpark figure.

Rate PLDT myDSL's Service

Sign in to vote!
This is a private poll: no-one will see what you voted for.

Comments

• ginoledesmaginoledesma Moderator PExer
    Depends on the brand of the network card. The price range is usually P300-P5,000.00.

Here're the common ones should you want to buy one:
    P300-P1000
    [*]Realtek (10, 10/100)
    [*]Planet (based on Realtek) (10, 10/100)
    [*]Linksys (10)
    [*]CNet (10, 10/100)
    [*]A-Open (10, 10/100)

P1000+
    [*]3Com
    [*]Linksys
    [*]D-Link
    [*]Acer
    [*]Xircom
    [*]Intel
  • ziggyboyziggyboy Member PExer
    Broadband is really out to kill dial-up.
  • BarurutorBarurutor The Barurutor PExer
    Originally posted by kahumbu
    I looked at the personal package of PLDT DSL, and it looks ok.

Total Start-up Cost will include:
    Monthly service feeP 2,000
    Modem rentalFREE
    Installation fee *P 1,500
    Total Start-up Cost (vat inclusive)P 3,500

up to 128kbps download
    up to 64kbps upload

Ang liit naman ng bandwidth. Parang ISDN. And you still have to be within 4km of the telco office?

Linksys 10/100 cards go for around P1,500 (less if you know where to look). D-Link's 10/100 with wake on lan are good too, and cost roughly the same.

• cartman7110cartman7110 Member PExer
    don't get CNET!!! sakit sa ulo!

if your in a tight budget, get rubytech. mga 500 pesos lang yang 10/100 na!

TIP: always get a 10 base or 10/100, but never pure 100 base.

if your willing to spend, get 3com! i think for the 10baseT its 3c509 and for the 10/100 its the 3c905b-tx. This thing walang sakit sa ulo! (cost around above 1.5k).
    The Realtek RTL-8xx9 cards are pretty good, and they sell cheap too! They work reliably on the Win32 platform and the Linux platform as well. Network performance is okay, I guess, since I've not really had the chance to go into "real hardcore benchmarking," if there ever is one.
    Burarator: it's cheaper than cable here. Destiny only allows a steady download speed of about 14k/sec (112Kbps) even when downloading on their own servers and during off-peak hours so PLDT ADSL is still faster. I heard that Home Cable has done the same, limiting download speeds to 15k/sec.
    Originally posted by ziggyboy
    Burarator: it's cheaper than cable here. Destiny only allows a steady download speed of about 14k/sec (112Kbps) even when downloading on their own servers and during off-peak hours so PLDT ADSL is still faster. I heard that Home Cable has done the same, limiting download speeds to 15k/sec.

Hmm. That's news to me (well, I don't pay much attention to cable internet issues since Destiny & Home, or even Sky don't provide internet access in my neck of the woods sa U.P. Village). However, is PLDT's bandwidth guaranteed? As stated in the 1st post, speeds up to 128kbps/64kbps up/downstream. What's stopping them from doing the same (i.e. limiting your bandwidth)?

I think the cable companies should stop touting their "50x faster" download speeds and tell the truth about their measly 4x faster (28kbps x 4 = 112 kbps) speed.

And please, please spell my name correctly.
    Originally posted by Barurutor
    I think the cable companies should stop touting their "50x faster" download speeds and tell the truth about their measly 4x faster (28kbps x 4 = 112 kbps) speed.

Well, with most dial-ups averaging at at most 1KB/sec, that almost is true, since at peak hours most modem connections in some areas drop to a low of 0.5KB/s. But I agree that they should really stop boasting about this, only to leave the customer fairly disappointed in the end.

:lol:
  • sunofmunkysunofmunky behave munky PExer
    i wonder if PLDT DSL still use existing phone line? or they upgrade it?
  • mamangbumberomamangbumbero PinoyAko!MayReklamo? PExer
    Originally posted by Barurutor
    Hmm. That's news to me (well, I don't pay much attention to cable internet issues since Destiny & Home, or even Sky don't provide internet access in my neck of the woods sa U.P. Village). However, is PLDT's bandwidth guaranteed? As stated in the 1st post, speeds up to 128kbps/64kbps up/downstream. What's stopping them from doing the same (i.e. limiting your bandwidth)?

Don't count on it. Most xDSL implementations have the DSLAMs cascaded. So in effect multiple users share a single line. As per my conversation with a network engineer for one of the major telcos, most DSLAMs can accomodate four (4) lines, and are cascaded up to 4x. So that's 3+3+3+4 = 13 subscribers per line. 13:1 ratio is really not that bad if we're talking ~1Mbps. In my old DSL connection, my max upstream was 786kbps. But I normally got 700-100kbps..

Telcos did this so they can bring down operating cost, and thus bring down the subscription cost. They did this so they can compete with internet cable.

(This is in the US though.. could be implemented differently in PH)

Here's a video clip on how DSL works, and how most DSL networks are designed.

http://www.broadcast.com/technology/techtvshows/dsl/
  • PitokPitok Member PExer
    DSLAMs are a must for the telcos! Otherwise they'll end up using OC-3s very soon just to accommodate their users.

• liquidchildliquidchild Put it on meh! PExer
    This goes out to all destiny subscribers....
    and cable internet subscribers as well.....

first of all i am wondering if Destiny is already running normaly, i mean is everything going on smoothly with reagrds to theyre system? I am a new subscriber roughly 4months old. When i first had a taste of theyre services i was very impressed. Then came the screw ups with theyre system and it was never the same again. Even until now i feel that theyre previous setup was much faster. I feel i am not getting my moneys worth. Theyre services are not cheap mind you and i am very disappointed, very. I wanna switch but there is a 1year contract or else pay a fine. Is there anyone out there who feels my pain???

Second, regarding this ethernet card in my PC, There has been several instances when i am about to close my PC and a window pop up telling me that shutting down would shut down terminal blah blah etc.etc. Does this mean someone is tapped into my cable line and surfing using my bandwidth? How do i stop this???

Third, Isnt there a way to know if Destiny or any cable company for that matter, is/are giving us the proper download speed? like a software that when u open you can tell how fast your download speed is or upload speed is??? reason being i wanna know if im getting what i am paying for. Wouldnt you want to know too???

Well this is rather long so im cutting it short. I still have a lot of angst inside regarding my subscriber. Mind you theyre help desk/support is useless, they have no idea whats going on with regards to theyre system setup.

ARGH
    Liquidchild
    Barurutor: :lol:

liquidchild: Yes, their download speeds got slower. I used to download 15k/sec steady from their servers, now they only go 10k/sec.
  • kerbkerb plokta PExer
    anybody tried myDSL?
    currently the only areas covered are: makati, ortigas, greenhills and muntinlupa.
    why do they have a 1,500 pesos "installation fee"?
  • mamangbumberomamangbumbero PinoyAko!MayReklamo? PExer
    Originally posted by kerb
    why do they have a 1,500 pesos "installation fee"?

Because they can. No competition, with lots of bandwidth-hungry Pinoy netizens.
  • kerbkerb plokta PExer
    im hungry *gurg* *glurg* :D
  • J?bJ?b 6ix 6tring 6amurai PExer
    and why will dsl be better than the current cable providers?
  • kerbkerb plokta PExer
    it uses ur existing phone line. myDSL claims that u can use the phone simultaneously chatting with ur friends while downloading your favorite mp3 files, and is faster than cable/isdn.

visit http://www.dsl.pldt.com.ph/ to know more.
    and from whatis.com : what is dsl?

btw, im in pasig and we have a pldt phone line... and im buying an ethernet card next week.. *laughs insanely in excitement*
    From dsl.pldt.com.ph:
    Applications of myDSL:
    Gaming - Detailed (ultrahigh resolution, vivid colors, and almost realistic rendering), smooth (no jerks, stops, and pauses in gameplay and audio/video) and lightning fast (true real time) multimedia interactive gaming.

Does this mean I can get rid of my Pentium 3 processor, 3d accelerator and 20" monitor when I get myDSL service at home? Sabi niya high res, smooth gameplay and AV gaming eh.
    That means my MS solitaire cards should bounce super fast now!

ROFLMAO!

Seriously, can we consumers hold PLDT to this and crucify them when myDSL users with old computers don't experience the above when playing games?
    I hope whoever wrote that up gets properly informed right away. Surely they weren't thinking of the public being that uninformed.

Regarding the installation fee, that's how it was with modems back then. When you're the only one on the block, they can afford to treat customers their way.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file