Home PEx Business and Careers Call Centers and Call Center Jobs

Call Center Politics

Which call center is the worse in terms of "politicking/palakasan" *peace*

Comments

• sabi ng friend ko, yung account ng convergys na Bellsouth daw grabe ang palakasan. kailangan may ka-close ka daw na either OM or TL para ma-promote ka.
  • melquiadesmelquiades PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    wala ba kayong metrics dyan at kelangan ng palakasan?
  • Hindi maiiwasan ang "palakasan" kahit saan. Let me give you an example. You are the boss and you must choose between two candidates. Kung ang dalawang candidates na ito ay parehong magaling, let's say performance-wise and potential-wise sino ang pipiliin mo? Hindi mo ba pipiliin yung mas close sa iyo thinking that you would work well with this person compared to the other one?

If you know how to play your cards right provided that you also perform very well, makipagkaibigan ka sa mga higher ups. It helps, I'm telling you.
  • This should not be the case.

Metrics are not the end-all and be-all when evaluating agents for higher management positions. These should simply be the first condition for consideration. There are many ways to evaluate leadership qualities that will not necessarily require the input of direct sups or OMs where the padrino system mainly occurs.

In many firms where technical skills are valued, for example, seniority-based promotion is a no-no. Everyone will have to face written exams and interviews to determine proficiency and, more importantly, leadership qualities. This will level the playing field and eliminate chances that an incompetent but popular candidate will be promoted.

The point is, a non-meritorious system of career advancement is a rotten one.
  • According to one of the tenents of a company:

Meritocracy
    We value the accountability and reward those teams or team members who continually improve their capability and contribution. We believe our continued success lies in the teamwork and opportunity each member has to learn, develop and grow. We hire and promote based on performance, capability and qualifications as key criteria.

99.99% of the time that two candidates did not tie on metrics and key criterias. If you are the boss you will also need to consider the behavior of your candidates and the impact of promoting the chosen candidate to its co-workers. Doing the old fashioned Filipino palakasan and padrino should not be applied in multi-national contact centers.
  • According to one of the tenents of a company:

Meritocracy
    We value the accountability and reward those teams or team members who continually improve their capability and contribution. We believe our continued success lies in the teamwork and opportunity each member has to learn, develop and grow. We hire and promote based on performance, capability and qualifications as key criteria.

99.99% of the time that two candidates did not tie on metrics and key criterias. If you are the boss you will also need to consider the behavior of your candidates and the impact of promoting the chosen candidate to its co-workers. Doing the old fashioned Filipino palakasan and padrino should not be applied in multi-national contact centers.
    Let's make sure also that we don't always blame palakasan as the main reason why a certain agent was not promoted. Some agents would assume that because they are already senior agents, they should be ready to become TL's. Well, they must understand that aside from performance, there are other key factors to be considered. Leadership qualities is a must. There are agents who exceed performance metrics all the time but they are not necessarily good at handling a team. Being at a higher position requires an entirely different set of skills. These skills could be innate to some people and others will spend a longer time acquiring the same even if they do well in their QA scores, AHT, absenteeism etc. In a fast-paced environment such as ours, I'd rather pick someone who just meets my metrics provided that he already has the leadership potential. I won't promote someone simply because malakas siya sa akin. Everybody knows that's stupid.
  • sigh... have i got a lot to share about politics in this call center where i work (or should i say, where i used to work)...

but i won't. bottom line, i still owe a lot of gratitude to the company, even if palakasan system talaga dun.

it's true, not only do you have to be good at what you do in your account (for product skills/ knowledge), but you need to have leadership qualities as well. my opinion is, your tl has got a lot to do in shaping/developing your leadership qualities. but you have to take the initiative as well. right?

but, in choosing who to promote, it's still better if there were more objective measures than subjective ones. there are A LOT of psychological tests measuring different traits (of personality), and leadership is one of these traits. and these are valid, reliable tests, mind you. after that, then you can do the interviews for more in-depth answers and for measuring the subjective aspects (e.g. personal impact, etc). let's face it, there is no such thing as a purely objective selection process anyway.

sigh... sorry, i just woke up, so i dunno if what i just said makes any sense.
  • sobra talaga ang palakasan sa call center..di lang agents ang apektado pati na rin mga managers..like if ang hinire ng GM na mga managers are all from their previous company & may isang naiba from another company, well ang pag-iinitan lagi un "newcomer" na manager. others won't even value fresh ideas kasi pare-pareho na cla ng thinking which is most of the time "baluktot" and "self-serving"!!!!!!!!