Home PEx Lifestyle Food and Drinks

Neiman Marcus Cookie Recipe

check out this cookie recipe. try it out. it's heavenly!

NEIMAN MARCUS COOKIES (Recipe may be halved)
2 cups butter
4 cups flour
2 tsp. soda
2 cups sugar
5 cups blended oatmeal
24 oz. chocolate chips
2 cups brown sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 8 oz. Hershey Bar (grated)
4 eggs
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups chopped nuts (your choice)
* Measure oatmeal and blend in a blender to a fine powder.
* Cream the butter and both sugars.
* Add eggs and vanilla, mix together with flour, oatmeal, salt, baking
owder, and soda.
* Add chocolate chips, Hershey Bar and nuts. Roll into balls and place two
inches apart on a cookie sheet.
* Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees.
Makes 112 cookies.

Comments

• The cookie recipe is good! I've made it a couple of times but the story behind it is made up.
  • WOW! i will try it out on sunday.

Irradiate, is it supposed to be a chewy cookie?

mudbug, hello! what is the story behind it?
  • IraIra PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    This is one of the original internet urban legends--Neiman Marcus even came out with a formal statement saying that the slighted-customer incident didn't happen and they don't sell their cookie recipes. But the recipe is good, anyway, so even if it didn't come from Neiman-Marcus, it's really worth a try. :)
  • ok, thanks for the info, Ira.

btw, re: blended oatmeal called for in the recipe - is it really as simple as processing oatmeal in a blender to a fine powder? and also, which kind of oatmeal should i use, instant or quick cooking?
  • here's the story behind it =) it's really amusing, pero halatang urban legend.

My daughter & I had just finished a salad at Neiman-Marcus
    Cafe in Dallas & decided to have a small dessert.
    Because both of us are such cookie lovers, we decided to
    try the "Neiman-Marcus Cookie". It was so excellent that I
    asked if they would give me the recipe and the waitress said with a small frown, "I’m afraid not." Well, I said, would you let me buy the recipe?
    With a cute smile, she said, "Yes." I asked how much, and she responded, "two fifty, it’s a great deal!" I said with approval, just add it to my tab.

Thirty days later, I received my VISA statement from Neiman-Marcus and it was $285.00. I looked again and I remembered I had only spent $9.95 for two salads and about $20.00 for a scarf. As I glanced at the bottom of the statement, it said, "Cookie Recipe $250.00." That’s outrageous!! I called Neiman’s Accounting Dept. and told them the waitress said it was "two-fifty," which clearly does not mean "two hundred and fifty dollars" by any *POSSIBLE*
    interpretation of the phrase.

Nieman-Marcus refused to budge.
    They would not refund my money, because according
    to them, "What the waitress told you is not our problem.
    You have already seen the recipe - we absolutely will not refund your money at this point." I explained to her the criminal statutes which govern fraud in Texas, I threatened to refer them to the Better Business Bureau and the State’s Attorney General for
    engaging in fraud.

I was basically told, "Do what you want, we don’t give a crap, and we’re not refunding your money."
    I waited, thinking of how I could get even, or even try and get any of my money back. I just said, "Okay, you folks got my $250, and now I’m going to have $250.00 worth of fun." I told her that I was going to see to it that every cookie lover in the United States with an e-mail account has a $250.00 cookie recipe from Neiman-Marcus
    ...for free. She replied, "I wish you wouldn’t do this."
    I said, "Well, you should have thought of that before you ripped me off, and slammed down the phone on her.

So, here it is!!! Please, please, please pass it on to everyone you can possibly think of. I paid $250 dollars for this... I don’t want Nieman-Marcus to *ever* get another penny off of this recipe....

• I went to the Neiman Marcus website and here's the REAL NM Recipe. I wonder which is better, the one that comes with the urban legend story, or the real one? Maybe I'll try cooking both, and see the difference.

I got this recipe from the following URL:

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/about/cookie_recipe.jhtml

===

Alongside unbelievable urban myths resides the Neiman Marcus $250 cookie fabrication. NM has never charged anyone anything for a recipe, but the story still persists. Help stamp out untrue gossip by forwarding our free chocolate chip cookie recipe to any naysayers out there!

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
    1 cup brown sugar
    3 tablespoons granulated sugar
    1 egg
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1-3/4 cups flour
    1-1/2 teaspoons instant espresso powder, slightly crushed
    8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips

Cream the butter with the sugars until fluffy.
    Beat in the egg and the vanilla extract.
    Combine the dry ingredients and beat into the butter mixture. Stir in the chocolate chips.
    Drop by large spoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes, or 10 to 12 minutes for a crispier cookie. Makes 12 to 15 large cookies.
  • oooh, thank you too, manilapinay - that's quite an interesting story.

what happened to the oatmeal? does the website version not call for that ingredient?
  • you're welcome. oo nga ano... nawala yung oatmeal dun sa website recipe... i like my choco chip cookies with oatmeal too... mas chewy ang labas.

• yep it's not the real NM recipe but it's just as good. this recipe retains more moisture thus making it more chewey. the real this is kinda harder and crispier but is just as good.

try it out. uh-um! delicious!
  • Originally posted by PINK LEMONADE
    WOW! i will try it out on sunday.

Irradiate, is it supposed to be a chewy cookie?

mudbug, hello! what is the story behind it?

Opps sorry PINK, haven't been lurkin' in these neck of the woods lately. I've been in the NM website and stated that the story is bogus - that's their side of the story. I should have bought stocks in that company when that bogus story first came out.
  • kakatapos ko lang mag-bake nung 1st recipe (the one in the urban legend)... sarap!!!!! very similar sya dun sa Mrs. Fields cookies. I like it with oatmeal in it!

'Yoko na i-try yung nandun sa Neiman Marcus website... gusto ko kasi, chewy!
  • manilapinay, i still haven't tried it - but because you said it really is masarap, a la mrs fields, then maybe i should take my measuring cups and such out of storage already and start warming up my oven!!

ps. do i really have to process the oatmeal in the blender to a powder form? :yum:
  • When I got the email, I had the idea it was bogus already. But then it never hurts to try the recipe, mukha naman siyang legit! Wow, really delisyus pala yung cookies?!? Gusto ko na ring mag-bake...problema lang sira oven namin, hahaha!
  • irradiate WOW! thanks for sharing that recipe - the cookies are really good! :yum: :yum: :yum: the ones i used to bake pale in comparison to these cookies

manilapinay, masarap nga!!!! :yum: parang mrs fields cookies

comment lang, parang na-over lang ang quantity ng sugar and chocolate chips.
  • manilapinay where can i get instant espresso powder kaya? and what does "crushed" mean? isn't espresso powder "crushed" enough as it is? i wanna try the NM recipe/version kasi
  • Pink Lemonade: i forgot to mention, medyo binawasan ko sa sugar and choco chips, dahil medyo over nga... yung brown sugar, i make it into 1/2 cup brown sugar lang...

regarding espresso powder: i-try mo sa starbucks, or any coffee specialty store, or rustan's siguro.

re: oatmeal, ako i blend it in the blender... pero hindi masyadong pino, kasi gusto ko medyo chewy.

• manilapinay THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! for your help
  • Yup! Medyo sweet sya. My son kasi has a sweet tooth that's why it worked for him.