COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

Backpacking South America

anybody here who has done this? the culture is very rich, and some of my foreigner friends told me that the lifestyle is very much the same with the Philippines. I was really planning of going to Europe, but if it won't fit my budget, I might as well go to South America.

any idea what countries should I visit? siguro more than enough na ang 1 year to go around the continent? or 6 months will do?

Comments

• circacirca Member PExer
    SuPeR_MaN wrote:
    anybody here who has done this? the culture is very rich, and some of my foreigner friends told me that the lifestyle is very much the same with the Philippines. I was really planning of going to Europe, but if it won't fit my budget, I might as well go to South America.

any idea what countries should I visit? siguro more than enough na ang 1 year to go around the continent? or 6 months will do?

Try brazil,
    mnl-hkg-johanesburg-sao paolo- 27 hours flight - $2,000 cathay & varig
    many don't speak english only portuguese
    ipanema, copa, sao paolo.
  • may_tamakamay_tamaka Member PExer
    circa,

i have some questions about that flight itinerary
    MNL-HKG-JOBERG-SAO PAOLO...

1. do i need to secure a Transit Visa in South Africa?
    2. Is the fare back and forth or just one-way?

Super Man,

For Filipinos, i think the ff.countries do not need visa..Brazil, Ecuador,Bolivia and Peru.. I'm not sure with Colombia though..Countries other than I have mentioned you need to secure a tourist visa prior to your arrival..

hope this helps...
  • SuPeR_MaNSuPeR_MaN Member PExer
    may_tamaka,

thanks, but I am quite sure we don't need a visa going to Colombia. we only need visa to Argentina and Chile. So far, nasa itenerary ko is the Inca Ruins and the Nazca Lines in Peru. Any other suggestions?
    eto helpful link for visa inquiries.

http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations/plan_flight/international_travel_information/visa_passport_information/index.jsp

so far we need visa going to Venezuela, Paraguay, Uruguay, Chile and Argentina.
    may_tamaka wrote:
    circa,

i have some questions about that flight itinerary
    MNL-HKG-JOBERG-SAO PAOLO...

1. do i need to secure a Transit Visa in South Africa?
    2. Is the fare back and forth or just one-way?

No transit visa in south africa, if you have go via miami.
    or via amsterdam. Fare is RT.
    fly ka nalang to south america, superman ka naman e. joke lang peace.
    hehe, mas maganda sana kung overland travel. kaso ang hirap kumuha ng US visa eh, kahit transit lang pahirapan. gusto ko talaga umikot ng south at central america. I've noticed na ok naman ang train system nila. baka pwede din mag-"visa run" to neighboring countries. hehe
    SuPeR_MaN wrote:
    hehe, mas maganda sana kung overland travel. kaso ang hirap kumuha ng US visa eh, kahit transit lang pahirapan. gusto ko talaga umikot ng south at central america. I've noticed na ok naman ang train system nila. baka pwede din mag-"visa run" to neighboring countries. hehe

oo nga, if you have the eyes for beauty sobra sa brazil. their commoners look like models caroline trentini etc etc. if you go to the US e halos hubaran kana sa immigration. go the long route nalang.
  • ewanko2ewanko2 Member PExer
    I'm going to Argentina in two weeks for the first time. Excited to finally go to South America. I'd love to explore Brazil, Peru, Argentina, Chile, and Columbia in the future.
    wow Argentina! kakainggit naman, mukhang matagal pa matutuloy plano ko, tatapusin ko muna contract ko then i'll go for a 1 year backpacking holiday to South America. haaaay. sure ka sulit na 2 weeks? mukhang bitin yun ah.
    ewanko2,

magkano tickets from sa California to Argentina, roundtrip?
    I got the hotel and airfare package from Expedia and it was $1100 for 6 days. But airfare alone would be $800.

I just got back and Argentina was really cheap, it was like going to Bangkok. The best steaks ever!!! Buenos Aires is very European but with some local flavor. Nothing really to buy, which was good saved me a lot of money. Knowing a little Spanish went a long way. Next time I want to go south to Mendoza or Bariloche.
  • danilinhodanilinho Member PExer
    I actually prefer living in hostels in South America especially if you're travelling alone. It is very easy to meet other people you can travel with.

Philippines and S. American countries are very similar. Masayahin yung mga tao at obsessed din sa telenovela.

I think 6 months should be fine. 1 year is a little bit too much kasi baka magsawa ka.

I've been to Brazil. It's a huge country and you probably need at least 2 months to explore the place. Don't forget to go to the Pantanal and go with Ecological Expeditions. You actually stay in a camp in the middle of the Pantanal.

I suggest you also check out Salvador De Bahia and Morro Do Sao Paolo. If you are travelling to/from Argentina, you can go through Foz Do Iguassu which borders Brazil. There you will find the Iguassu falls which is just majestic.
  • ExtravaganzaExtravaganza Banned by Admin PExer
    up up up

up up up
    up up up up
  • TravelBugTravelBug Sakay Na! PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    "Have you been to South America or Africa within the last X months?"

I remember seeing that question printed on arrival cards. Should one have vaccines before going to South America? What if you've been to South America? If you travel to another country, would they put you under quarantine before allowing entry?
    TravelBug,

from what I know, they'll issue a yellow card/paper, for a fee of course, upon departure from South America. it is sort of a clearance for you to be accepted on your destination country.
  • SUX2B?SUX2B? Banned by Admin PExer
    TravelBug wrote:
    "Have you been to South America or Africa within the last X months?"

I remember seeing that question printed on arrival cards. Should one have vaccines before going to South America? What if you've been to South America? If you travel to another country, would they put you under quarantine before allowing entry?

Nope.

:)
    There was no hassle or questions coming back from Argentina to the US.
    There was no hassle or questions coming back from Argentina to the US.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file