Audiophiles: Do you have a collection of earphone/headphone?

jiscjisc PSC805+SHP895=eargasm PExer
well, i don't really collect earphones, its just i cant really find the perfect earphone for me. and i'm still targeting to buy that elusive ety 6i :D.

Are there any audiophiles here? I'm sure you also have a collection of earphones, please specify them all and tell me which one is your favorite and why. :D

Comments

• NerfyNerfy Member PExer
    i personally have the Sennheiser PX100, and its perfect for me. i dont want earbud types like the etymotics... from my experience, my earlobes hurt after awhile.
  • HyperionHyperion sui generis PExer
    I used to have grado SR60, SR80 and still have a Sennheiser HD580. I prefer grado sound and will probably get an RS1 in the future but prefer the comfort of Sennheiser cans. Tried Ety 4S and the sound quality was good but was simply too uncomfortable in the long run. Same goes for just about any earphone or earbud I've tried which was surprising since I spent most of college with earphones lodged into my ears. Some audiobuddies who are head-fi fanatics swear by Audiotechnica, AKG or Stax cans too.
  • jiscjisc PSC805+SHP895=eargasm PExer
    I'm using koss ksc75 amd philips SHE9500 right now, i like the sound of ksc75, just the right bass and treble, she9500 has too much bass and you can barely hear the treble and cymbals, i just use it because its more discreet to carry around the office. right now i'm in quest of finding the right canal earphone, i dont know whether to buy a medium price range earphone like sony ex81, creative ep630, jvc HA-FX55W, panasonic RP-HJE50, audio technica ath-ck5, or just save my money and sell all my earphone and go for etymotic 6i or shure e4c/e3c.
  • Chimera101Chimera101 tensai desu! PExer
    im content using my sony mdr-ex71 (earbud). it doesn't hurt my ears though unlike what nerfy experiences. it cancels out noise good enough so it kinda makes you feel "autistic" coz you wont be able to hear anyone who's calling you, ofcm8s think i'm always "in the zone" haha.. im planning to buy headphones too, stuff from sennheiser seems good enough but pricey, i'll see where this thread goes and do a research on every item suggested by you guys..
    hi Chimera, magkano bili mo sa ex71 mo? here it cost around P2.4k, sa pinas magkano?
  • Papichulo168Papichulo168 Simplified. PExer
    I bought an entry level pair of Sennheiser earphones (I just forgot what model) and it was a whole world of difference from the stock earphones that came with my MP3 player. Sometimes when I get in the "zone" in the gym, I realize I'm already singing too loudly when people suddenly stop their workouts and look at my direction.
  • blindyblindy Member PExer
    where can i buy Sennheiser products?
    Papichulo168, i think your talking about sennheiser mx500 or mx550, both those earphone got a really good review
  • Papichulo168Papichulo168 Simplified. PExer
    Yeah I got the 550 with the deep base at Listening Room yata in Megamall for how much:

P550!

Nawala lang yung mga foam...sayang!
  • gm_ozgm_oz jump in PExer
    i have shure e2c, sennheiser hd570 & hd497.. 570 is my everyday headphones, 497 is my commute headphones while I use e2c whenever I travel by plane (shure has the best noise isolation in-ear phones around)
  • AgitOAgitO thehitman PExer
    Im using altec lansing ahp-712i with active noise reduction!
    Yeah I got the 550 with the deep base at Listening Room yata in Megamall for how much:

P550!

P550? bakit parang mas mura dyan? dito kasi eh more tha P1k yung sennmx550 eh
    gm_oz wrote:
    i have shure e2c, sennheiser hd570 & hd497.. 570 is my everyday headphones, 497 is my commute headphones while I use e2c whenever I travel by plane (shure has the best noise isolation in-ear phones around)

meron bang shure sa philippines? all i know is its more than P10k sa PHP yan eh
  • HyperionHyperion sui generis PExer
    Shure is locally available but early ones had been unreliable. I know - I live near their local importers (Audiophile) and a friend who owns an audioshop had me return several warrantied units for replacement already.
    Hyperion wrote:
    Shure is locally available but early ones had been unreliable. I know - I live near their local importers (Audiophile) and a friend who owns an audioshop had me return several warrantied units for replacement already.

ows? how much ang e4c? it has a very good review, but here its P12k or P13k, baka kung mas mura sa pinas eh dyan na lang ako bumili.
  • Little WolfLittle Wolf Catholic PExer

P550!

San po kayo nakabili ulit? Listening Room in Megamall? San po yun dun? Please, I've been wanting to buy Sennheiser earphones since I've heard of them. :)
  • soulontapsoulontap Member PExer
    I have went through or still got:
    Sony EX71, Senn MX500, SENN PX200, Shure E2C, Grado 325, ETY 4P, ATH CM7, B&O A8

My favs - which also happen to have an industrial-type desgin. =)
    ATH CM7
    Grado 325
    soulontap wrote:
    I have went through or still got:
    Sony EX71, Senn MX500, SENN PX200, Shure E2C, Grado 325, ETY 4P, ATH CM7, B&O A8

My favs - which also happen to have an industrial-type desgin. =)
    ATH CM7
    Grado 325

whoa! quite a collection there, hows your pocket? :lol: do you know how much the total cost of those you mentioned above? anyway, which canal earphone you find has a balance treble and bass? the review said ex71 has a lot of bass, just like my current earphone she9500. i like to find a canal earphone that has balanced bass and treble, and the guitar and cymbals sound as they were. supposed to. what can you suggest at the same price range of ex71?
    questions for the guys here, whats a Cmoy? how does it improves the sound? do you only need it if your earphone isnt loud enough?
  • soulontapsoulontap Member PExer
    - For workout and noncritical listening, the sony EX71,55, etc are great. They're very comfortable, got bass (to provide your workout's energy), and don't leak sound.

If you jog, you'll hear a bit of "swish" sound due to the wind passing through the "earbuds" but it's tolerable and after a few minutes you won't notice it.

There's not much midrange (treble to you) and the bass is muddy and one toned- thump! thump! thump!

- Senn MX500
    For the price, it's a nice balance of bass and treble. It's better than the free earphones packaged with most digital players.

Unfortunately, it's designed for the western market, whose earholes are bigger than asians. (Bigger earphones mean more space for the music to go around with, w/c account for better acoustic.) The phones keep falling off my ear.

- Senn PX200

These are portable headphones - as against earphones.

They don't seal out the surrounding sounds - you can still hear the noises clearly - although muffled. But when it's playing, you don't hear the outside noise and because it's closed-designed, it doesn't leak sound so people can't hear what you are listening to.

They produce an enjoyable sound. Bass is good and if your player got an equalizer - treble is no problem. You have to make sure that your equipment got enough juice to power these headphones though or they'll sound tiny and weak. And it has to fit your ear a certain way. It doesn't work for some ears which result in a tinny sound. (It fit mine perfectly.)

The senn px200 is my favorite CLOSED PORTABLE HEADPHONES. You can used it in the gym or during your regular commute.

Shure e2c / Ety 4p

These are in-ear phones. They go INTO your ear canal as against just resting outside the earholes - as normal earphones do. For some people, using these phones feel like the ear is being raped. (I didn't have that problem. Does that mean hindi na ako virgin? *smile*)

In-Ear phones are expensive and frankly you can get cheaper full-sized phones with equal or better acoustics. But there strengths lies in their portability and being able to shut out outside noise. (With these things in your ears, you can't even hear yourself snapping your fingers. If you find yourself in an airplane with all the machine noise and crying babies, these things are bliss.)

Sound quality ranges from acceptable to unbelievable.

The shure E2c is the former. It's great if you are constantly in a noisy environment but it's sound signature are muffled bass and treble.

In the unbelievable range would be the sensaphonics. Fantastic sound with fantastic price. These tiny things sound better than most full-sized headphones - but the price...

In between would be the ETYs/Shures, where there are compromises. If you like details, the ETY 4 is perfect for you. If you're a basshead, then the Shure E4/5 are for you. One isn't better than the other, it depends on your musical taste.

But you have to deal with microphonics for in-ear phones. (Microphonic is the sound you hear in your phones when say, the cables slides thru your shirt. Or when your walking, you can hear the thumping of your feet when hitting the ground. The experience is a bit like hearing things through a doctor's stethoscope.)

Different phones give varying degrees of microphonics. Etys are terrible if you don't use the supplied shirt clips. Shure is just fine. But you won't use these babies for jogging or active workouts. (Weightlifting is ok.)

Oh yeah, the price. Just imagine telling someone that your in-earphones is more expensive than your ipod/nano/name your brand.

My current favorite is the audio-technica CM7 EARPHONES. Very good combination of price and sound quality. (especially when you adjust it with the equalizer.) Easily powered, eye-catching design but also a tad pricey.

CMOY is a portable heaphone amplifier. You use it if your player is too weak to power your heaphones. (Sound is tinny.) But I don't see the point of a PORTABLE headphone amplifier since it doesn't make your equipment that portable anymore. They're cute though - most are encased in those mint cans that you see in malls and coffee shops.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file