Home PEx Lifestyle Food and Drinks

Best Ensaymada

has anyone here ever tasted Hizon's ensaymadas? if you've never heard of it, go ahead and ask your parents! even when i was in the states, my filipino-american titos and titas knew of the brand! apparently, Hizon's, down in J.Bocobo St., Ermita, was the biggest bakeshop during our lolos', lolas', and parents' time. imelda marcos and dolphy used to eat their ensaymada like crazy from what i've heard! but after so many years, they lost out to other less-classier companies' (goldilocks, red ribbon) expansion and franchising. but the quality of their food remains unmatched by these now-bigger companies!

anyway, my parents and my aunts have been bringing me home the thing since i was a little kid. and i must say, it puts all other ensaymadas to shame! when you bite into it, you know it's made of first class ingredients! it's kind of pricey though. but for the Philippines' best tasting ensaymada, i'd be willing to spend that much (P50 - P100)! check 'em out! go visit with your parents! aside from their main branch in ermita, they have an outlet over at landmark in makati.

Comments

• Mas gusto ko yung ensaymada na homemade na kailangan mong orderin sa may Valle Verde Pasig at Wack-Wack. Ang sarap nun. Order kasi kapatid ko dati.
  • when my cousin gave birth, someone gave her a whole box of ensaymada & it was the best i've tasted! they used lots of parmesan cheese or queso de bola on top (i'm not sure). i don't know where i can order it but, grabe! it was the best :) if anyone knows where i can order, pls let me know :)
  • IraIra PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I agree that Hizon's serves the best ensaymada. I find that it's still the best tasting (and the biggest! Ang laki-laki ng large ensaymadas!), softest, buttery-est, and most fragrant--especially when you buy them fresh. They make ensaymada the old-fashioned way, not much like Megamelt or whatever ensaymada stalls that are popping up around malls these days. My favorite is the large special ensaymada (with ham bits) with black coffee, which my friends and I used to eat a lot of during internship days. Too bad it gets hard after a day, so you can't really hoarde a lot of them.
  • the best ensaymada i've ever tasted are the homemade ensaymadas made by my sister's barkada...i dont know what they put in it but my sis said they use queso de bola and brut butter (tama ba spelling?) as part of its ingredients...

it's soo delicious that once you take a bite, you'll be heaven eating that :angel:

although it's kinda expensive (Php300 per dozen), it's worth the price...their business is called Casa Mia
  • i just dropped by at their store in ermita this afternoon to get a taste of what wongfu and Ira are saying. mmm...masarap siya pero nothing really SPECIAL with the taste. hindi ganun kadami yung cheese niya unlike that of Megamelt's and Quickmelt's...the large ensaymada with cheese will cost you P70 (gulat nga ako e, ang mahal pala).
    by the way, the Bocobo street where the store is located is the one nearer to P. Faura (not the one near Nakpil)

• hizon's hands down..it's old style ensaymada at it's best :) i grew up eating the ensaymada from hizon's hehehe
  • violtra, hindi kaya bruun butter yun?
  • the-man: i think that's why hizon's ensaymadas taste so great, they don't use the cheese to make the ensaymada taste good! it's the bread's taste which really makes it stand out from the rest! and it's the cheese overload which makes these other ensaymadas ordinary and cheap-tasting. pero i have to admit, once in a while, i do eat them cheesy ensaymadas like megamelt. mura pa! hehehe!

like i said, it's kind of pricey talaga! during christmas, they have this HUGE-***** ensaymada as big as a friggin' cake which has queso de bola bits! the thing costs P500!!! pero ang sarap talaga e! good thing i let my parents buy the thing!
  • Cunanan's...the best!
  • ensaymada?! uhhm yum. matagal na akong hindi nakakatikim ng masarap na ensaymada.
  • i like quickmelt. masyado naman atang over-rated yung hizons
  • You wanna know what makes the Megamelt ensaymada really tasty? It's because their ensaymadas are not completely baked. Found that out that in one baking class.

smileydavid.gif
  • I like the ensaymadas from The Swan Bakeshop. They used to have a branch near Sto. Domingo Church pero I dunno where they are located now. :(

*paw*
  • pinkrosepinkrose PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    TheDreamer: I went to The Swan Bakeshop near Sto. Domingo a few months ago. Ok naman ensaymada nila.

My fave is ensaymada na binibili ng aunt ko from her friend. Pero Muhlach's masarap nga :redsmile:

Wanna try yung Hizon's kaya lang ang layo ng Manila sa min eh...
  • TheDreamer if i'm not mistaken, merong 'the swan' along retiro cor. mayon and there's a stall at the shangri-la mall (beside the zagu stall near crossings dep't str entrance)... is that the one with the humongous ensaymada? :yum:

so far, hizon's pa rin the best. and there's this home-bakeshop in VV3, sunny's which have yummy ensaymadas too :)

mulach's isn't so bad, pero nakaka-umay after a while, i like the one with ube tho :yum:
  • Originally posted by keiwai
    TheDreamer if i'm not mistaken, merong 'the swan' along retiro cor. mayon and there's a stall at the shangri-la mall (beside the zagu stall near crossings dep't str entrance)... is that the one with the humongous ensaymada? :yum:

so far, hizon's pa rin the best. and there's this home-bakeshop in VV3, sunny's which have yummy ensaymadas too :)

mulach's isn't so bad, pero nakaka-umay after a while, i like the one with ube tho :yum:

thanks for the info! i'll go sa area na yun later and good thing you told me that they have one sa may retiro! the kind of ensaymadas that i love from them is the small ones lang. thanks heaps again! :D

*paw*
  • auricularisauricularis PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    a k u ensaymadas are good...

pati ensaymadas ng mga small bakeshops sa mga kanto kanto hehehe... :brush:
  • hi everyone!

alam ko rin yung sa valle verde! parati kami bumibili dun. infact kakaubos lang kanina nung isang kahon. ang sarap! malambot at malinamnam. queso de bola kasi ginamit nila kaya malasa. nung una kong natikman, heaven kaagad!

masarap din ung mulach melt!

have you guys tasted the famed bulacan ensaymadas? hindi ung sa eurobake ha. maski ako na taga bulacan di pa natitikman ang atuhentic food item na ito! eto daw kasi ang ensaimada of all ensaimadas!
  • PearlM tama ka! sa mga Cunanan nga ata yung sinasbi ko. masarap din yung walnut squares nila at chicken liver pate. so far sa kanila ko natikman yung pinaka masarap na ensaimada! nakaka ubos ako ng 3 sa isang upuan, minsan panghimagas ko pa matapos kumain. eto, habang nagtatype kumakain ako! sarap lalu na may hot tablea tsokolate!
  • definitely hizon's. i was almost left behind by my plane because i just HAD to take a couple dozen esaymadas with me to the states. (damn the traffic in manila!) :lol: my mom was very thankful of course, so i was well compensated.