Home PEx Sports PBA

"PASSE" = Jong Uichico

ThanThan PExer
Uichico is looking again for PG prospect (LA Tenorio) in the upcoming draft?
I have nothing against Tenorio as a person, I just dont like his style. No wonder, Jong liked him bcoz Jong really sucks on draft day picks! LA is too small & thin. Even much heralded Paul Artadi showed his weakness when he started playing in the PRO. Ganun din sigurado sya. Kahit sa PBL hindi sya masyado nag excel.
Im against sa revamp if ever, but minor changes is would do. Just to give more hunger & youthfulness in the team.
Maybe 1 or 2 players should be traded. Sad to say, we have to part with atleast 1 of our starters to be able to acquire 1 bonafide contributor.
We could have avoided these to happen if only Jong performed much better in his draft day picks. We could even have Jimmy Alapag as our next court general.
Here's one, in 2003, the year he picks Marlon Legazpi i think 8th or 9th pick, players like Alapag, Feriols, Tubid, Salvacion, Hugnatan, Homer Se, et al were still available. I was there in Glorietta & Im very disappointed when it SMBs turn & Alapag still undrafted but Uichico passed on him!

Even his mentor coach Ron Jacobs advice him to get Alapag or Salvacion who ever still available. But Jong didnt listen.

That year Legazpi was shelved & wasn't even given playing time to prove his worth. When Jong was interviewed he explained that theres no spot for Legazpi in the Smb roster. So why draft him anyway?

The following year, 2004 he sensed a need to get a PG to replace Olsen when he retires, so he traded his 1st round pick to get Singson from Shell. Imagine, just a matter of months when he made up his mind, nasayang tuloy yung chance to have Alapag in our roster.

In the middle of 2004, we got Denver Lopez, so 1 PG could be expendable. He then traded Dale for only a 2nd round pick. Imagine giving up a 1st round, then after 1 season dealing him for only a 2nd round pick?

In 2005 he picks another PG prospect like Paolo "Da Error" Hubalde! What a choice, almost all coaches are laughing at this pick! Another PG experiment? Why? Is Denver Lopez or Anton Villoria a bad choice? Is Hubalde a better replacement to Olsen than those 2 who already knows the system of Smb?
So what happened to Da Error? Now looking at the 2006 draft another PG na naman?! E yung mga big man natin NAGTATANDAAN na habang NAGLALAKIHAN at BUMABATA ang big man ng ibang teams! Then tayo puro experiment at PG!

Still want more evidence on how bad his draft picks are? Look at the lineups of all the other 8 teams, can you see a single drafted player by coach Jong Uichico in any of their lineups? NONE! That means even other coaches doesn't like those players he drafted in the past. Rookie draft is meant to improve the teams present lineup & infuse fresh blood & hunger. Sad to say, Uichico doesn't know how to use it!

We've been eliminated & finished 2nd to last. 1 more conference to go & depending on how we perform, we will have a clear view on what # of pick do we get. Would you rather choose LA than Arwind or Kelly Williams or even 6'8 Joe Devence & burly JR Quinahan? Is it feasible to have a four year PG experiment on draft day?

One more thing, Jong experimented on running game when we started 1-8 this conference! Quite ironic, kung kelan AGING na ang starting PG at FRONT COURT players natin not to mention injuries tsaka kapa tatakbo?
I cant understand the logic on this! So when he went back to our old but effective half court offense ano resulta? 5 game winning streak!

Now, did you know that Kwan is not really injured! Kevin Freeman was practicing with the team before our winning streak. Matatapos na kasi yung 2weeks na contract niya. Hindi lang sya maactivate because we're winning. So Jong experimented again. He used Freeman but backfired because we lost 2 straight. High morale ang team because of the 5game winning streak. Now the teams morale down again with those twin setbacks, because if ever we won both, we could have placed 4th or 5th & avoid the wild card.

Another thing, we had a hard time with both Coke & Air21 who uses Full Court Trapping Defense. Imagine that, 5 straight back to back games we played vs those 2 teams & having double digit leads only to falter because we cannot solve their trapping defense! Ano ginawa ni Jong? Hindi ba nya nababasa ang laro na dun tayo nahirapan at natalo? Not to mention that Binky Favis & Bo Perasol are rookie coaches na pinahirapan sya!

Jong Uichico is a decent coach, we cannot just ignore his accomplishment in the past. But in a game of strategies, there's always what we call "PASSE" style. Maybe that adjective suits Jong Uichico perfectly nowadays!

Paging SMC management, Chot Reyes, Perry Ronquillo & even Leo Austria or Franz Pumaren were available!

Comments

• Sino nga pala yun pinalagpas na player ng SMB dati sa isang Rookie Draft?? Imbes na yun player na yun, si Bryan Punzalan yun pinili. WTF!!!
  • j_f21 wrote:
    Sino nga pala yun pinalagpas na player ng SMB dati sa isang Rookie Draft?? Imbes na yun player na yun, si Bryan Punzalan yun pinili. WTF!!!
    It was Jeffrey Cariaso! But the coach back then was Norman Black. He promised Cariaso that he will pick him in the coming draft when Cariaso is practicing with the Hiroshima bound RP Team which Black is the coach & the core of the recent All-Filipino champ SMB will be used. But due to injuries to key players like Calma, Dignadice & Alvin Teng et al, the Pba decided to reinforce it with Patrimonio, Codinera, Evangelista, Abbarientos & probound Aquino, Duremdes & Cariaso.
  • Watch out for coach Chot Reyes! He will soon be back in the PBA coaching 1 of the 5teams that got eliminated.
  • ^^if that's true, probably back atr Coke's bench..
  • spongklong wrote:
    ^^if that's true, probably back atr Coke's bench..
    Nope! Hindi sa Coke. Coach Binky Favis is doing good as a new comer.
    Parang Tanguincen yan, nangangapa pa ng konti. But you can see some strategies in defense he already used that makes life miserable with the Beermen!
    Clue?
    *Al Chua just renewed his contract with SLR.
    *Binky Favis showed some promising performance & management is very optimistic with him.
    *3 teams nalang ang possibility sa 5 teams na nalaglag. Your guess is as good as mine!
  • My guess? It will be SMB.
  • Now, coach Jong Uichico is trying to get Alapag from TNT. If only....tsk..tsk..tsk..
  • Than wrote:
    Nope! Hindi sa Coke. Coach Binky Favis is doing good as a new comer.
    Parang Tanguincen yan, nangangapa pa ng konti. But you can see some strategies in defense he already used that makes life miserable with the Beermen!
    Clue?
    *Al Chua just renewed his contract with SLR.
    *Binky Favis showed some promising performance & management is very optimistic with him.
    *3 teams nalang ang possibility sa 5 teams na nalaglag. Your guess is as good as mine!

sa pagkakaalam ko kasi, interim coach lang si favis.. or i may be wrong.. siguro nga sa SMB.. hehehe!
  • btw, you cannot blame ALL the draft errors to Jong...

He DOES NOT hold 100% of the decision...

May say ang team owners, team managers, scouts, trainers, etc, etc before team SMB announces their pick during draft day.

Kaso since SMB has a high salary cap, they wouldn't get a very promising rookie that demands too much money that they can offer.

Kahit na anti-Jong ako, people shouldn't 100% blame him during draft days, pag nagcocoach siya during games at talo, dun lang pwede hehe..
  • ateneo10ateneo10 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Than wrote:
    Uichico is looking again for PG prospect (LA Tenorio) in the upcoming draft?
    I have nothing against Tenorio as a person, I just dont like his style. No wonder, Jong liked him bcoz Jong really sucks on draft day picks! LA is too small & thin. Even much heralded Paul Artadi showed his weakness when he started playing in the PRO. Ganun din sigurado sya. Kahit sa PBL hindi sya masyado nag excel.
    Im against sa revamp if ever, but minor changes is would do. Just to give more hunger & youthfulness in the team

tenorio is the single best pg choice smb has.

case closed.
    Than wrote:
    We've been eliminated & finished 2nd to last. 1 more conference to go & depending on how we perform, we will have a clear view on what # of pick do we get. Would you rather choose LA than Arwind or Kelly Williams or even 6'8 Joe Devence & burly JR Quinahan? Is it feasible to have a four year PG experiment on draft day?

qui?ahan is not a bad player but puh-leaze....

la is at least 100 times a better player.

williams and santos are worthless if you have belasco and seigle playing in front of them.

i have not seen devance yet so i cannot say who is better.

but remember that kg and timmy d are better players than steve nash. you put nash in SA and minny, they would play worse than the suns. nash does not fit there.

nash fits in phoenix where there are a lot of guns

la fits with smb who has no pg.

period.
  • ateneo10ateneo10 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Myst wrote:
    btw, you cannot blame ALL the draft errors to Jong...

He DOES NOT hold 100% of the decision...

May say ang team owners, team managers, scouts, trainers, etc, etc before team SMB announces their pick during draft day.

Kaso since SMB has a high salary cap, they wouldn't get a very promising rookie that demands too much money that they can offer.

Kahit na anti-Jong ako, people shouldn't 100% blame him during draft days, pag nagcocoach siya during games at talo, dun lang pwede hehe..

ang problema, siya na ang final say sa draft, talo pa sa games.

bano si jong.

you can't blame jong for everything? sure scouts have says... a lot of people have says... but to make one draft error is ok... to make it a tradition is another. when people expect you to be elgin baylor circa 1990-2003, that's bad.

to say that jong isn't solely to blame for smb's draft blunders is just bad.

if a comany goes bankrupt, a ceo is to be hanged. why? its his show. the buck stops with him.

no matter how much asi told woolpert to draft carey instead of enrico, he shouldn't have listened. managing an unhappy player is the coach's job, not to be the star player's lacky.

jong should have his own mind.

the fact is, the buck stops with him.
  • ateneo10 wrote:
    tenorio is the single best pg choice smb has.

case closed.

qui?ahan is not a bad player but puh-leaze....

la is at least 100 times a better player.

williams and santos are worthless if you have belasco and seigle playing in front of them.

i have not seen devance yet so i cannot say who is better.

but remember that kg and timmy d are better players than steve nash. you put nash in SA and minny, they would play worse than the suns. nash does not fit there.

nash fits in phoenix where there are a lot of guns

la fits with smb who has no pg.

period.
    Well, I didnt say that LA is a bad choice, but i think he is not the best pick for Smb in the coming draft. It's ridiculous to look for a PG prospect in 4 consecutive years. Then sad to say all have went for naught if not failed.
    Wasting more useful prospects that could immensely help our aging front court.
    We still have Denver & Anton, what with their experience as Olsens chief relievers rather that untested ala Artadi pointguard like LA.
    Picking LA could be a gamble. If ever Alapag or Helterbrand type of a PG that is available then i will take them ahead of Arwind & Kelly.
    It's harder to have a quality big man in this league where height really makes a difference. Teams with the best bigman lorded it over from the past 4years! Teams like Smb, Ginebra, TNT & Red Bull all shared the best Center/Forwards in the league.
    I dont usually compare the incomparable like the Pba to Nba.
    I also believe Smb will unload 1 aging big man if theres a closest possibility that we can get 1 or 2 young & athletic bigman in the draft, so playing time wont really matter.
    1 more thing, I hope your username doesn't influence your choice for Tenorio!
  • the problem with SMB is they tied all their marquee players to long-term megabucks contracts that makes it impossible for them to maneuver for salary cap space and in the process renders each and every one of its superstars (danny seigle, danny ildefonso, dondon hontiveros, nic belasco, and olsen racela) virtually untradeable. that's also the reason they are unable to pick the top rookies in any draft class--di nila kayang bayaran ng malaki. second, again because of salary cap limitations, they are unable to position in the free agent market. the end result is a team that is growing old and brittle as the seasons wear on, and coach jong can do nothing but wait for their contracts to lapse. stop blaming coach jong for something he is not accountable for.
  • the problem with SMB is they tied all their marquee players to long-term megabucks contracts that makes it impossible for them to maneuver for salary cap space and in the process renders each and every one of its superstars (danny seigle, danny ildefonso, dondon hontiveros, nic belasco, and olsen racela) virtually untradeable. that's also the reason they are unable to pick the top rookies in any draft class--di nila kayang bayaran ng malaki. second, again because of salary cap limitations, they are unable to position in the free agent market. the end result is a team that is growing old and brittle as the seasons wear on, and coach jong can do nothing but wait for their contracts to lapse. stop blaming coach jong for something he is not accountable for.
    Actually it was only the 2 Danny's who had max salaries. Olsen is from 280-300T, Belasco 220-250T, Pena & Hontiveros 200-220T.
    It's true they have salary cap constraints but its because they have lots of stars & not because they were all paid to the max.
    Danny Seigle even signed just 1 year contract with SMB along with brother Andy of Ginebra.
    Ildefonso signed just 2 1/5 year last season so that makes him expiree after next season. Likewise with Belasco, Pena & Hontiveros.
    Olsen's contract lenght is similar to Danny I's.
    Rookies also have salary cap limitations ala NBA. So we cant say that the team cannot pay high profile rookies. Very seldom do we see a rookie who dont agree on what his team is offering because the mother team has the rights to him if they tendered a contract regardless of the conditions.
    If the rookie doesn't accept, the mother team has all the right to sit him & placed in reserve list while retaining his rights.
    So there's no reason to draft mediocre players just because you thought you dont have money to spend. Every year a team has expiree's so there's always room for maneuvering & salary cap solution.

I thank you!!!
  • ^^ yes rookies has limitations in terms of salary especially for those who are picked in the first round.

Hindi mo rin masisisi ang SMB dati kung puro palpak ang mga nakukuwa nilang rookie dahil magagaling pa ang mga players nila dati especially danny seigle, ildefonso, racela, belasco at nananalo sila ng championship.

The only time na sumobra na ang kapalpakan nila sa pag drdraft ng rookie eh yun nga pinalagpas nila si Alapag at hindi lang SMB ang palplak non kung hindi yung ibang team din na pinalagpas si ALAPAG. swerte lang talaga ng TNT kasi hindi rin nila ineexpect na available pa si alapag non.