Home PEx International Entertainment International TV

FRIENDS to return in 2007?

FRIENDS RETURNS TO TV

HOLLYWOOD - Seminal sitcom Friends is returning to television after each of its six stars agreed multi-million dollar deals to star in four one-hour specials.

In a secret meeting before Christmas, Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, Matt LeBlanc, David Schwimmer and Matthew Perry reportedly agreed a $5 million apiece deal with NBC bosses in Los Angeles.

Scriptwriters have already started penning lines for the four double episodes, which are due to air next year.

Aniston, who has filmed a string of movies since the final Friends episode, was the last to agree to the new deal.

An NBC insider says, "She's the one who had been holding out. But she's now agreed to reprise Rachel (Green).

"Bringing them back is a dream come true. Ratings will go through the roof."

Network bosses have also hinted at a second spin-off of the hit comedy, following the disappointing performance of Matt LeBlanc's show Joey. The new program will see the three male stars--Perry, Schwimmer and LeBlanc--pilot a series called It's A Guy Thing.

An NBC spokesperson confirms, "Negotiations on future projects are going on all the time."

Article Copyright World Entertainment News Network All Rights Reserved.

I read about this awhile ago but couldn't find a credible link, but Hollywood.com and Ain't It Cool has reported it too...what do you guys think? I think the idea of four hour-longs is great! I'd love to see them back on TV BUT the spin-off idea sounds awful! How do they make a show about Chandler and Ross without Monica and Rachel?

Comments

• ROFLS!!!! NBC's been so desperate to get ratings na for the last few seasons. they're willing to do this!?

"Simply Fouth Best! Better than some of the rest!"
  • is this ture...i hope it is
  • WOw! I hope this one's true... FRIENDS is the greatest comedy series ever made!!!
  • Has anyone else heard of this? I can't seem to find any other source, I've seen links on tons of websites but all point to the above news item, so I'm still a bit skeptical
  • wow i hope this is true *okay* i miss them na!
  • my mom said she heard something on the radio regarding this issue.

being here in LA, i guess it's true.

ha, i still have time to watch the other seasons to catch on. :lol:
  • OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but i remember aniston said she wouldnt want to have a "reunion" coz its "cheap" o well. whatever.
  • I think on nbc's side, it's really a desperate attempt to get on the ratings bandwagon ,who can't resist friends. it has generated viewers/followers and revenues in their 10-year stint on NBC.
    I just hope that they will be able to pull out a really good episode for this special.
  • yeah coz season 10 is not that too funny anymore. just full of clich?s
  • Are everyone's favorite "Friends" ready to return to TV?

Rumors were swirling over the weekend about a "Friends" revival on NBC.

According to published reports, each of the show's six stars had agreed to multi-million dollar deals to star in four one-hour episodes.

Some articles even went as far as to say that scripts were already being written.

However, Access Hollywood has learned that those reports are completely false.

"Not one ounce of truth," Jeff Zucker, CEO of NBC Universal Television Group, told Access of the rumors.

There were also rumblings of an all-male spin-off show starring David Schwimmer, Matthew Perry and Matt LeBlanc. But yet again, nothing more than false reports.

"Friends" ended its 10-year run back in May 2004. More than 52 million fans tuned in to the series finale.

Source: http://www.accesshollywood.com/television/6371300/detail.html
  • 1718 wrote:
    OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but i remember aniston said she wouldnt want to have a "reunion" coz its "cheap" o well. whatever.

she thinks it's "cheap"? that's sad... considering she earned her fame through friends :hmm:
  • well..since all of this are just rumors.. let's leave nbc alone..haha..
    or probably this is a publicity stunt of nbc.. haha..
  • flygurl74 wrote:
    she thinks it's "cheap"? that's sad... considering she earned her fame through friends :hmm:
    well only the reunion is cheap for her. not the original eps. ive read it in their final book. the big black one. :)

so i guess this one really makes sense:
    An NBC insider says, "She's the one who had been holding out. But she's now agreed to reprise Rachel (Green).
  • Too good to be true...that spin-off idea was probably the give away that it was a hoax!

Matthew Perry was offered the lead role on STUDIO 7 at THE SUNSET STRIP, an hourlong drama from Aaron Sorkin based on a SNL type show but he turned it down, which means he probably doesn't wanna do TV yet
  • i love friends but i dont think this is a good idea
  • ^me too...i suggest re-runs :)
  • jennyianjennyian PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Well i'd love for it to happen, but unless nothing's official, i'm not anticipating this much.
  • somuchmore wrote:
    i love friends but i dont think this is a good idea

I agree. Reviving FRIENDS is such a desperate move for NBC if ever this is true.

Friends had an excellent "fairwell". So why revive it? What if Friends fail to rate that much this time around? NBC will just add stain to the impressive history of Friends.

Don't get me wrong guys, I love Friends, but I'm just really not in favor of reviving it. :)
  • yeah, sounds desperate.. but oh well i like that!! :D
  • jhnjstnjysjhnjstnjys PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    i also agree that its not a good idea

there should be at least 10 years to pass before the idea of creating a tv special is thought of. friends is a classic and making a special a couple of years after it aired its final episode somehow makes it lose its legacy. it feels like it never left the air.

the idea of a reunion is great but 2007 is to soon. time should pass to make its viewers feel its legacy.