Home PEx Hobbies Books and Literature
Tip: Here's an Emoji Cheatsheet for your reference.

Independent Publishing House/s?

I've read from a broadsheet some time ago about a publishing house here in the Philippines that offers reasonable rates for independent writers--Unfortunately I wasn't able to keep that clipping for future reference. :(

Can anyone help me find out the name of that independent publishing house? (Or any you might know of) My friend and I plan to publish several copies of a book we've been working on as a gift to another friend, and we're desperate to find a publishing house that will accommodate our request.

Thanks very much in advance. :)

Comments

• baka late na ito, but anyway, just my two cents'... if you are just doing this for a friend and not really to sell copies of the book, no need to go to a publisher. just go to a printing press that can put together your book. my friends and i did this several times years ago.

but if you need the funds for a book project to take off, kailangan nyo nga ng publisher. i have a feeling yung "independet" publisher you're talking about is something like a vanity publisher. they'll do your book (the dirty work and all) for a price, whether it's a good read or not.
  • OCEANNEOCEANNE PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Ive been wanting to become a novelist eversince and not just any kind of novelist who wants to sell cheap stories. I want to be someone people will remember. The problem is. I dont know how to start, though Ive got lots of stories written already, publishing them. Anybody's got an idea?
  • I'm no expert in the world of publishing... but, I guess you have to submit your works to some publishing houses...wait for the rejection slip or the "we like your work" reply... For others who have decided on writing as a career, they probably get an agent to represent their works.. Well, anyway, that's my two-cent worth of opinion..
  • OCEANNE wrote:
    Ive been wanting to become a novelist eversince and not just any kind of novelist who wants to sell cheap stories. I want to be someone people will remember. The problem is. I dont know how to start, though Ive got lots of stories written already, publishing them. Anybody's got an idea?

i agree with ciranthis. try submitting your work to publishers. but don't expect too much from them. na-reject na ako several times kasi unknown ako.

i think it's best to submit to dailies, mags, even online publications first; your work will have better chances of being published. i personally did this before, kahit yung mga maiiksing articles lang. now, i can list those published articles on my biodata. mas mukhang impressive tuloy. and this might just give me a little edge if i submit again to a book publisher.
  • this may be a stupid question pero.. may risk ba na manakaw yung na-submit mong kwento pag nag-submit ka sa publisher?
  • OCEANNEOCEANNE PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Thanks ciranthis & celtiqueen. I'll try doing those.
  • this may be a stupid question pero.. may risk ba na manakaw yung na-submit mong kwento pag nag-submit ka sa publisher?

that's definitely NOT a stupid question. malaki ang risk na manakaw ang submission mo. but yang risk na yan, i believe, is applicable lang dun sa mga small-time companies/orgs/individuals. known publishers won't dare "steal" unpublished works and release them as their own; alam nilang magiging downfall nila yun kapag ginawa nila. yung mga pipitsuging publishers siguro ang maglalakas-loob na magnakaw.

legally, once you've written a piece of literature (syempre yung original), copyrighted na agad sa 'yo 'yun. (nabasa ko a few months ago sa isang article). kaya nga diba yung ibang writers, laging nilalagay at the end of their piece, a copyright line (e.g. copyright 2006. all rights reserved.)
  • rationalrational PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    A nice trick I heard: To prove that you wrote something first, mail it to yourself. The postmark will prove when this was done. Of course, don't open it when you receive it. :D

Question: Are there literary agents in the Philippines?
  • rational wrote:
    A nice trick I heard: To prove that you wrote something first, mail it to yourself. The postmark will prove when this was done. Of course, don't open it when you receive it. :D

Question: Are there literary agents in the Philippines?

yeah, i've heard that trick na *okay*

about the lit. agents here, parang wala. kung meron man, hindi sila a major force in the industry. nung tinanong ko yung isang local publisher a few years ago, sabi nya publishers act as the agents of authors who want to try to break into the international market; but if you want to break into the local market first, authors can go directly to publishers.
  • try bob ong's publisher. it seems to have a good track record for turning out good books. forgot the name, though, i just borrowed my copy of stainless longganisa, sorry...