Baby's teeth [Merged]

My 7 month old baby's two lower teeth has erupted. Do i need to brush it na? Mga moms how soon did you clean your baby's teeth? Sabi kse ng mommy ko di pa masyado nakausbong teeth nya eh, kaya no need pa.

Comments

• smilewarriorsmilewarrior Moderator PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    A baby's / individual's first visit to a dentist begins when he becomes 6 months old. At around this age, the first baby teeth erupt.

Baby teeth need to cleaned thoroughly so that your child will be able to eat properly, and because they hold space for the permanent teeth.

You can buy baby toothbrushes which can help clean the teeth. If you want to use toothpaste, find one that does not have fluoride. You can start fluoride containing toothpastes once your child is able to consciously spit it (at about 2 to 3 years old) to prevent Fluorosis.

You can also just brush with clean water for the meantime.

It's not a good idea to put a baby to sleep at this age with a feeding bottle filled with milk. This is one of the fastest ways of developing cavities on his baby teeth. Fill the bottle with clean water instead when the baby sleeps.

You need to find a Pediatric Dentist, a dentist who has recieved post-graduate training for treating kids 6 months to 18 years old.

Good luck. I'm a guy by the way.
  • SweetkaySweetkay looking for my next mistake PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    How come my baby doesn't have any teeth or tooth for that matter yet?

:confused3:
    Sweetkay, how many months is your baby? Do you have a baby boy or a baby girl?
    6 month old ... baby boy ...
  • sweetwahmsweetwahm Just Another PExer PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    hey no worries Sweetkay, i used to worry about my little boy because his teeth hadn't come out yet at 7 months. The other babies I'd see usually had theirs starting 4-6 months. But his two lower teeth eventually came, that was at around 8 months. Now at 11 months, he has 4 teeth: 2 lower and 2 front.
    Sweetkay, boys tend to develop later than girls. If by 9 or 10 months and he still doesn't have teeth, you can have a pediatric dentist examine him. For now, as sweetwahm said, it's ok to wait.

It's not a bad idea to wipe his mouth with clean cloth moistened by clean water to take away the milk residue. If he gets used to getting his mouth cleaned while he is very young, you'll never have a problem convincing him to brush his teeth in the future as it will be second nature to him.
  • WandaWitsWandaWits Member PExer
    smilewarrior: thanks smilewarrior! i presumed your a dentist? my son's teeth actually erupted when he was 6 month-old. He doesn't really like drinking much water, and i put him to sleep with his feeding bottle. Ok lang ba yun when he takes a nap during the day or hindi talaga dapat everytime he sleeps during the day & night?

sweetwham: how do you clean your baby's teeth? share naman baka may tips ka.. ayoko rin talaga masanay baby ko sleeping with his feeding bottle but its quite difficult to resist him especially if he asks for it. :(
    Ganun ba? Thanks Mommies ... *hugz*

I was just worried ... I love the tip about cleaning with moist cloth ... magawa nga ... though right now ... ayaw na masyado sa bote ng baby ko ... gusto niya cup ... at 6 months?!?!!?
  • DaNa8DaNa8 certified mommy PExer
    My baby had his first teeth after his first birthday, hehe. So there's nothing to worry about kung matagal sya tumubo. He's nearing 2 and he only has 8 teeth. I do give him his toothbrush every night but he likes to do it himself. Kaya pag sobrang madumi na talaga at puro tartar na ipin nya, iyakan na lang kami sa pag-toothbrush. We use non-fluoridated toothpaste nga pala, Sansfluo.
    Hi WandaWits and the other mommies, I clean my baby's teeth and tongue with a moist cloth lang. He hates it and he cries really hard. Now that he's got 4 teeth, I reckon he can chew off my finger everytime its cleaning time. :D

Ganun ba smilewarrior, di pala good ang magpatulog kay baby with his milk bottle? But it seems he cant sleep at night without drinking his milk. Paano yan? Good thing this question came up, I was gonna take it up with my pedia on how to clean his teeth properly, or kung pwede na ma toothbrush, but our next visit is at the end of the month pa.
    WandaWits: You're welcome. Yes I'm a dentist, specifically an Orthodontist.
    sweetkay: You're baby's drinking out of a cup is fine. Just monitor him/her when she drinks so it doesn't get spilled. It's usually by 1 year that a baby starts to drink from a cup.
    sweetwahm: Though difficult, you have to take away the habit of having your baby accustomed to sleeping with a feeding bottle filled with milk. It won't happen overnight though.

What some experts recommend is to slowly dilute the milk to water ratio, until eventually only pure water is used in the bottle.

I've met young patients who by 6 years old still bottle-feed. Usually, most if not all their teeth are black with decay and the parents spend so much for dental rehabilitation.
    Thanks smilewarrior :D

I areally appreciate it.

We bought him one trainnig cup thing .. .tapos my mom gave him 2 more ... read kasi that the baby has to like the cup so we're gonna make him choose ... tomorrow na yung D day niya :glee:

Gonna take pics and upload it for you guys to see ...

So I don't need to take him to a dentist yet right?
    Thanks smilewarrior! Baby's not gonna like this at all, but you're right. Gradual is the keyword :)

Do keep us mommies and daddies here informed about baby teethcare. We really appreciate it!
    Thanks for the advice smilewarrior! :)

sweetkay: i also tried my baby to use his cup but medyo hirap pa sya at nalulunod.. . ill try it again probably before he turns 1 yr old.
    sweetkay: good for your baby, gusto na nya sa cup. i tried using a cup to my baby but parang nalulunod pa sya. ill try it again probably before he turns 1 yr old. :)
  • DaNa8DaNa8 certified mommy PExer
    ^^^
    I suggest you get a sippy cup with a no-leak feature. There are lots of them in SM department store. This way, your baby could drink from it even while lying down. Then eventually pag kaya na nya, pwede nyo na remove yung cover.
    Wandawits, sweetkay and sweetwahm: You're welcome. :).

It's your choice, but it's already accepted worldwide that it's better to visit a dentist, particularly a pediatric dentist while a kid is young.

2 years old is too late for a child's first dental visit. 6 years old is really late but it's up to you.

For now, keep your kid's teeth and mouth clean. Good luck.
    Here's an idea: I'm sure all your kids have pediatricians, why not ask them for referrals to pediatric dentists?

You will actually save thousands upon thousands of pesos if your kids don't develop cavities at all, so that they'll never need fillings, dentures and the like.

It all starts while they're young.
    ^^ then i guess its a trip to a pediatric dentist for us this month! My son turns one next week.
    ^^
    Oh yes. Good luck.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file