Home PEx Hobbies Books and Literature
Tip: Here's an Emoji Cheatsheet for your reference.

what made you read a book?

yes I myself have been asking that question right now why did i started reading a book. at first my sister was the one reading a book more like sweet dreams, mills & boons silhouette desire and other girlie books. and then i started to imitate her although i find it irritating at first because i don't have the patience reading chapter by chapter and the vocabulary words that you don't usually see in some of the nursery rhyme books or the fairy tale books that i read with bold letters, and they even have pop ups of cut out characters once you unfolded the pages. honestly i did try reading one of those girlie books like francine Pascals sweet valley Elizabeth wakefield and jessica wakefield. which i find it mushy since it's all about growing up having a crush someone. so i started switching to bobsey twins and then the hardy boys i don't recall reading any nancy drew until i got hooked up with robert ludlum was the starting point on how to try to understand how to picture in my mind howyou describe things places and events.

Comments

• First year highschool, we had this teacher Mr. Genove, where he made us read as many books as we can (any genre) then we report orally them to him during his free time (usually under this tree on the school grounds). The more books you report, the higher the grade. I think it was such a cool academic activity that really contributed a lot to my love of reading. Since I was young then and had no money to spare to buy a lot of books, I either borrow at the library or just look for old novels read by my uncles or aunts when they were younger in our grandparents' house -- from Hardy Boys, Sweet Valley series, to mystery books and greek mythology.

I also have this theory than when parents read to you a lot when you were a kid, you kinda get interested to read when you grow older. As for me, maybe because we have no neighbors the same age as mine, I have no option but to read to be entertained or not die of boredom.

Reading is one of my "natural" vices that I can't sit still without it. In a cafe, even when I'm with a group of people, trust me to pick a magazine, a newspaper or a paperback. It's the ultimate source of relaxation as well as occasional inspiration for me.
  • RöttenMindRöttenMind PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    my job! im all coffee and tea! i never liked reading books.. (just archie comics!).. but when i started working, i dont get much time to watch movies, and go out.. so i resorted to reading books.. now i have to forgive myself on missing out those good books.. (but im catching up now!). :)
  • RöttenMindRöttenMind PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    and my friend has a collection of good books!

as in dami niya pinapahiram saken.. im all loaded.
  • My crush was a bibliophile.
    Buti na lang hindi siya yung minahal ko, kundi yung mga libro na hawak niya. Kung hindi... hala.
  • boredom & curiosity.

my first book i think was written by R.L. Stine.

then i started collecting his books. but then i grew out of it. move to romance novels then to anything i find interesting.

:beam:
  • una sa mga komiks ako mahilig magbasa... ngunit nang kalaunan sinubukan kong magbasa ng novel books. aba't maganda ang unang chapter... gusto kong malaman ang kasunod na pangyayari na di ko alam ay marami nang chapters ang nabasa ko. I realized that read offers an unlimited imagination, suspense and great entertainment... far better than the movie version.

have a great reading for all happy readers out there. wlang tulugan ha!

aihihihi!!!

baklita
  • HorcruxHorcrux PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    i started to love reading books after being given Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. grade six palang yata ako nun!
  • nung elementary ako nagbabasa ako ng encyclopedia pag walang magawa... then minsan bumili ako ng tom swift na pocketbook... got addicted to sci-fi... good thing may classmate ako na nagbabasa din pala nun... trade kami ng series na wala ung isa. then nung high school medyo natigil (must be the hormones. :p). tapos nung college got addicted to tom clancy... ngayong fresh grad lang ako, i read mostly business books (e.g. rich dad, poor dad). hehehe.
  • magnabashmagnabash PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    For me, out of curiousity.
  • na-curious lang ako dun sa story ng book so i started reading... hanggang ngayon, adik pa rin...
  • I have always loved reading books. I read all types of books when I was a young girl - Peter Pan, Bible Stories for Children, Bedtime Stories, Cinderella.

Then, I switched to the Sweet Valley Series during my adolescent years. I also started reading the classics. Such as Little Women by Louisa May Alcott and Anne of Green Gables.

After seeing the Jurassic Park on the big screen, I got interested with Michael Crichton. Now, my choices are diverse. I don't think I'll ever stop reading.

It certainly is a passion. :)
  • for me it started as well with KOmiks, reading Niknok, Bing,Bang,Bung and the rest of the Komiks gang. I was also very fond of old american reading books with very nice drawings and pages na very 1950'60s ang dating. I love reading those old books.

And then my older cousin introduced me to a novel called "Ghost Story". I read it at night and was very scared by it - to which has started my liking to any horror novels...

...to which i met Stephen King through his compilation of short stories called "Night Shift". LOved every episode and was very reminiscent of episodes from the Twilight Zone. So by that time, i was a purely Stephen King fan.

In College, My roommate whom had an English 1 class and was required to read a book called "The Joy Luck Club". I was curious and bored at the same time so I took it, read some pages until I found myself finishing it. It was good. So it was now Stephen King and Amy Tan - with all her three other books such as The Kitchen Gods Wife, Hundred Secret Senses and The Bonesetter's Daughter.

My younger sister developed a liking for a book and a girl friend of mine suggested for me to buy "Confessions of a Shopaholic" by Sophie Kinsella for my sister's birthday. After she read it, i lifted it, read the first line..and I got hooked... "Ok dont Panic!" and after that I witnessed Becky goes to Manhattan, get married, and discovered a sister. I also got introduced to her Emma Corrigan who blurted out unnecessary lies and Samantha Sweeting who just had to no time for herself, doesnt know how to turn an oven and manages to cook a feast at the end of the story.

Kinsella's books are the only "chiclit" book i loved. I didnt bother getting other books whom are obviously copycats of her style. I wasnt also a fan of Bridget Jones.

and then Mill Millington and Mike Gayle came along, and filled me with Light reading, about British Blokes, and their outlook on life, pints, pubs, and ex-girlfriends.

I also do like Ambeth Ocampo's works - especially his take on Philippine history
  • for me it started as well with KOmiks, reading Niknok, Bing,Bang,Bung and the rest of the Komiks gang. I was also very fond of old american reading books with very nice drawings and pages na very 1950'60s ang dating. I love reading those old books.

And then my older cousin introduced me to a novel called "Ghost Story". I read it at night and was very scared by it - to which has started my liking to any horror novels...

...to which i met Stephen King through his compilation of short stories called "Night Shift". LOved every episode and was very reminiscent of episodes from the Twilight Zone. So by that time, i was a purely Stephen King fan.

In College, My roommate whom had an English 1 class and was required to read a book called "The Joy Luck Club". I was curious and bored at the same time so I took it, read some pages until I found myself finishing it. It was good. So it was now Stephen King and Amy Tan - with all her three other books such as The Kitchen Gods Wife, Hundred Secret Senses and The Bonesetter's Daughter.

My younger sister developed a liking for a book and a girl friend of mine suggested for me to buy "Confessions of a Shopaholic" by Sophie Kinsella for my sister's birthday. After she read it, i lifted it, read the first line..and I got hooked... "Ok dont Panic!" and after that I witnessed Becky goes to Manhattan, get married, and discovered a sister. I also got introduced to her Emma Corrigan who blurted out unnecessary lies and Samantha Sweeting who just had to no time for herself, doesnt know how to turn an oven and manages to cook a feast at the end of the story.

Kinsella's books are the only "chiclit" book i loved. I didnt bother getting other books whom are obviously copycats of her style. I wasnt also a fan of Bridget Jones.

and then Mill Millington and Mike Gayle came along, and filled me with Light reading, about British Blokes, and their outlook on life, pints, pubs, and ex-girlfriends.

I also do like Ambeth Ocampo's works - especially his take on Philippine history
  • to feed my mind
  • SweetkaySweetkay PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    to pass time

to feed my brain

to learn things
  • bored2deathbored2death PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    first, influence of my mom who reads a lot.

then a friend let lend me a book in high school and that really started na hook ako sa pagbasa. until now, i don't start a novel or else, i won't be able to come to the office coz i can't put it down until i miss on my precious sleep. sometimes i come to the office, catatonic state...kulang sa tulog, hehe

and i can't imagine myself not reading. there had been a lot of wonderful things and stuff and people i met in reading (thru my books) that i think had made me think of things today.

and of course, i'm very good in english, and speaking and talking to a lot of people because of reading.

the benefits are all for me....:D
  • Hmmm...what made me read a book?

Perhaps my ability to read...

:D
  • i can't jus give one reason --- ehehe
    probably because of: my folks, who are from the academe; i'm not so much of a t.v fan hence reading; curiosity perhaps; remember that everytime a film adapts something from a novel, people always say that nothing beats reading the book...
    there
  • :noevil:

i think i was in 5th grade when i was in national bookstore with my parents..first book i ever read was wizard of oz..then i just fell in love with books after that..
  • when i was in 5th grade, my best friend lend me her Sweet Valley Twins book. after reading the book, i started going to national to browse more sweet valley books. in short, my new-foun love for reading was mainly because of the Sweet Valley Series. when you go to my room, you will see lots of them. as for now, i'm catching up on "popular" books although i am also trying to read other kinds of books. feeling ko late bloomer pa din ako e.

most people would think that reading is one heck of a boring hobbie but i find it sexy. hehehe! mas nagagamit kasi yung imagination kaya nae-exercise ang mind tsaka ok na pampalipas ng oras lalu na kung interesting yung book. sa sobrang kakabasa mo 'di mo na alam yung oras at feeling mo nandun ka na mismo sa binabasa mo. tsaka i find people who read alot more interesting to talk with. sobrang dami nyong mapag-uusapan.