Home PEx Lifestyle Travel and Leisure

What's ur favorite European Country? Mine's Prague and Berlin!

I really don't have anyone to share one of my happiest experiences to! Of course, people who haven't been there don't understand! :)

Comments

• Topic: What's ur favorite European Country? Mine's Prague and Berlin!

baka naman you mean CITIES? Prague is the capital of the Czech Republic and Berlin is one of the Major cities in Germany....

anyways, my favorite europeam CITIES are amsterdam, stockholm, paris, rome, barcelona and berlin.
  • Ooops! :o sorry about that! i meant CITIES...hehehe! :) thank you for correcting me trinity, i think i was sleepy when i posted that! :)
  • ----
    they say, the most romantic city in the world, Paris, France malelovies.gif

----
    :D
  • no questions asked....

its definitely LEIDEN, HOLLAND for me!
  • I have discussed the my favorite cities all over the world in other previous posts....Prague would be somewhere on top of my list but not Berlin. I do like Berlin very much though but some other places would score higher for me like Paris, Bergen, Salzburg or Rothernburg. It will depend of course onthe reasons why a city will be a favorite -- is it the history? sites? an experience? etc...

Good Doctor why dont you share with us your reasons why you love Prague and Berlin...:)
  • :evil: Ibiza, cote d'azur, monaco, barcelona, heraklion, really anywhere the partying is great. topless beaches etc.. :):):):)PAAAARRRRRRTTTTYYYY!!!!!!
  • Italy---Florence
    France---Paris, Nice
    Monte Carlo---Monaco
    Switzerland---Zurich
    Germany---Munich
    England---London
  • Originally posted by fiorre
    Italy---Florence
    France---Paris, Nice
    Monte Carlo---Monaco
    Switzerland---Zurich
    Germany---Munich
    England---London

Montecarlo is the capital of Monaco therefore it should have been Monaco---Monte Carlo :)
  • Well, firstly, I couldn't keep myself from correcting the Good Doctor(Sorry!). Prague and Berlin are not countries. I love Italy for the food, wine, fashion and good-looking men. Yeah, city of Paris is really romantic, and so is Venice, and the rest of Italy. Spain feels so homey to me. Except for the tall, white Spaniards.
    Vienna is one of the most beautiful cities, like London Madrid, and Rome.
    But as my lips betray me......I JUST LOVE, ITALIA!!!
    Mi piacce.
  • Originally posted by makiling
    Montecarlo is the capital of Monaco therefore it should have been Monaco---Monte Carlo :)

Yeah, you're right! Sorry about that!
  • the Good Doctor you havent answered any of the posts yet. why did you like Berlin and Prague so much? Pls. share with us your experience!
  • Sorry about that Makiling...ive been busy the past few days. Well i rily liked Berlin coz it blends history with hitech technology. I rily like going to historic places, and read extensively about Hitler and WW II. And just seeing Brandenbrug Gate (where Hitler made his speech in front of thousands of German soldiers) was simply great. Tracing the Berlin Wall (which is now lined with red bricks) really makes you feel how the people hated that structure. I also liked going to that gate where there was this checkpoint (i just cant remember the name)where the East and West Berliners could transfer. It conjured up images of war movies. It was just special for me because i was really fascinated with WW II, and this was the so called "heart of all the evil". After they took Berlin it was all over. Even though all you see is "reconstructed", there's still this feel of this great city in this great country.
  • Prague, with all its crystal shops! My mom loves crystals, so we bought so much there! When we arrived there it was dark already so we just went to the town center. And through the narrow roads, which was lined with stone, we arrived at the center of the city. I saw the church towering in the dark sky with lights adding to the effect at the bottom. I'm not really a good writer, so i can't put into words how i felt that night. But trust me, it was beautiful! However, people really flock the town center to watch this clock move. Then there would be wooden puppets on top, which would do some play. I rily can't remember.

Another nice city is Wien or Vienna! The capital of the Hapsburg empire! The city is just fabulous with all the huge green (bronze which corroded) domes and huge statues of their heroes. Then there's the Schonbrunn castle (I hope i got the spelling right!), the Austrian's counterpart of Versailles! It was HUGE! With its large front court, and orange front, it was an awesome site. Add to the fact their was a huge garden beside it and an bigger back court with an arc meters behind. And this was just a "summer residence" for the royals at that time!
  • I liked Salzburg, also. The city was kinda small though, and i just liked those chocolate balls with Mozart's face (kugels, krugels?!?). :)

Paris is ok with me, but i really think you have to be with your special someone to appreciate it. I found it kinda dark and creepy, with all the Gothic architecture. London is nice, but it pales in comparison to other cities. Where were all the beautiful people!?! I didn't even see one in my one week stay there! All i saw were pretty Americans in our hotel! And the Tower of London and Buckingham Palace does not measure up to the grandness of Versailles or Schonbrunn.

I however enjoyed tremendously our drive from London to Edinburg, Scotland. The home of Sir William Wallace of Braveheart fame. We also passed Cambridge, Manchester, and all the other soccer cities. But nothing compares to Edinburg! Sloping through the hills of Scotland, Edinburg was the first city that made me "gasp!" the moment i saw it on the horizon. The others were Paris and Vienna. In the middle, and on top of a mountain was the imposing Edinburg castle, which has a statue of William Wallace! The stone paved roads weren't friendly to the car, but it added to the experience when ur walking!

One city, which Europeans really liked, which i think sucked was Budapest. It was dirty, smelly, and dark. And the transportation was also bad. Maybe it was because it was under communist rule before. Also, i hated it when we waited for 2 hours at the checkpoint in Slovakia, just because we were FILIPINOS! They were really strict, and all we did in their stupid country was eat at Mcdonald's cause their capital didn't have anything worthwile seeing!
  • Well, yeah. I know how that feels like. Just because we're Filipinos! I just know one thing for sure...no matter how beautiful their infrastructures are in Europe, most of them are ignoramus. You know, to treat other people lesser than they are shows the smallness of their minds.

Thanks for sharing your European trips with us. Now I feel like I wanna go to Scotland, Berlin and Prague. I only got to see London, the Underground and watched some musicals. I was supposed to attend the Aberdeen Festival but I had a change of sched. We watched the Phantom of the Opera and Les Mis. I've seen Miss Saigon in Australia and in Germany but not in the West End. The rest I haven't seen. I saw some friends in the Germany cast. You seem to have gone to so many places. But unlike your experiences which entailed much spending, mine were usually simple joys of doing ordinary cultural experiences unique to those places.

Ljublijana, Slovenia is just starting out on their own. The natural scenery is really one of the best. The very colorful mountains, the small church on an islet within a lake. It's like really getting in some beatiful painting. It's so romantic. Far away from the (not that) busy city.
    I did like Salzburg, but I kinda expected more than what I saw. I've waited for four years until I was finally able to go to Salzburg. When I finally saw it in 1998, I thought to myself "so this is it?". I looked for the beautiful scenes from the Sound of Music but they did not exist. They were all film tricks. The lake was the nicest I saw there, with the back of the non-existent house of the Vontrapps.

I like Luzern, Switzerland. The lake is so beatiful and the hills with those houses on it is picturesque. I took the cable car up the Mt. Pilatus (7,000ft). It was breathtaking, I gasped for air as I started turning blue. (hehehe)

In 1996 I spend the Christmas in Vienna. It was -20C and my toes had frostbite. We had a snow fight at the gardens of Schonbrunn Palace, took pictures of Mozart and Strauss. Of course the Weinachtsmarket (something. m not sure of the spelling) was present. I enjoyed all those Christmas markets we've been to all over Germany and in Austria. The comodities glittered and sparkled like full of Christmas magic. We also went sledding, and ice skating. We had German hosts, so everything was according to their culture. We drank the traditional alcohol for Christmas. Germans are very wonderful people. Once I stayed alone with a German family. They treated me as their own, I always woke up with bowls full of chocolates, and fruits. We did have a dictionary on the dining table so we can communicate while we ate. I love the smell of their houses. Smells like wood and spices. I won't ever forget that small town we went to where there was a castle up on the hill and we would go there on our bikes. We listend to the kuckoo birds, watched the ducks, picked up some stoned or flowers, etc. Hamburg is quite small and pretty. I liked it.

Amsterdam is dirty to me. I felt like puking when I walked the streets of that city. I just felt like it was too crowded I guess.

Ahhhh, Belgium. Brussels, Antwerp, etc. they remind us of the past. The old culture was preserved and you just get the feeling of how it was like out there. We saw the mini mundus. Of course, nothing like the real thing.

I had a chance to go to Finland, also in winter. The streets were of course, filled with snow. I didn't get to see much of the view because everything's covered. But I did enjoy the saunas. The Finns are very reserved.

I've been to Denmark, too. It's pretty cold out there. The buildings have the same height. It's the law. I didn't feel very comfortable because of the language barrier. NOpe. Don't wanna go back.

This year I've been touring Asia. I went to Thailand and saw the elephants, the floating market, World Trade Center, and the golden temples. Kinda dirty, like our country, but shopping is really cheap! The food is spicy and tastes good. And the people are nice. I feel like the tours can be improved. Back here in PI, we don't have provisions of such cheap cultural tours so as to encourage more walk-in tourists (aside from the insurgency threat of course). Tourism in Thailand is flourishing. Even if the shows are not that spectacular, at least they provide destinations, where the Tourism Industry is guaranteed to earn.

Singapore is clean and very orderly, but the people is super "SUNGIT"! Even the shop owners don't treat their clients well. Service is bad!!!! Cheap electronics! Sentosa is a theme park like Knott's Berry Farm in L.A.. I liked the musical fountains. The food is very spicy and very curry. You'll start smelling like one after a few weeks. hehe. Everybody speaks English, good thing.

Japan is high tech. The people are very polite and conservative. I love sushi and the miso soup we had every breakfast.

I guess I better stop now before I start talking about America. I guess I'm moving out of the topic already. Sorry!

Fiore: So you like Florence, Italy? Actually I didn't see much there in Florence. I only saw the statues and the few famous buildings. Venice has more to offer, I think. Well, of course each one to his own liking.

• Paris is great to see but I can't imagine myself living there. It's just too big, dirty & unfriendly city.
    London: wonderful sightseeing. I like the fashion & wearing hats. But people are too cold.
    Berlin, I agree & it's a great place for singles as well.
    Rome full of Romance...and pickpocketters hahaha
    It's nice to feel the chily breeze in Oslo.

I like San Francisco (very European looking homes) & Santa Barbara.

If you want to see some skin go to Ibiza, Mallorca & of course Cote d' Azur.

My top most favorite is Manila. I keep coming back to Manila.
    LOL
  • Originally posted by the_Good_Doctor
    I liked Salzburg, also. The city was kinda small though, and i just liked those chocolate balls with Mozart's face (kugels, krugels?!?). :)

I love Salzburg....maganda nga ang small....very cozy. para bang sa fairy tale :)

I however enjoyed tremendously our drive from London to Edinburg, Scotland.

Good Doctor. Tell us more about Edinburgh. I had always heard so much about Scotland esp that place and I never had a chance to visit. What else did you see there?
    One city, which Europeans really liked, which i think sucked was Budapest. It was dirty, smelly, and dark. And the transportation was also bad. Maybe it was because it was under communist rule before.

I beg to disagree. The first time I visited Budapest was when it was still under the Communist Rule. It was beautiful! Perhaps it was the dinghy places you just saw. The site was marvelous when you go up the fisherman's bastion....it overlooks the whole city.....One thing good then under the communist rule was everything was so cheap! When we went back a couple of times this time under capitalism, oops trop cher! Would you believe I cant forget I bought a rosary made out of bohemian crystals at only USD 5!!! Well I should have bought all colors but failed to. Little did I know that communism will fall a few days after we were there. After that the prices spiralled and it didnt seem as affordable as before.
    Also, i hated it when we waited for 2 hours at the checkpoint in Slovakia, just because we were FILIPINOS! They were really strict, and all we did in their stupid country was eat at Mcdonald's cause their capital didn't have anything worthwile seeing!

ok I am kinda poor in geography...where is slovakia? Was this part of the former yugoslavia? I used to go to the former yugoslavia but now they split the republic into many countries.
  • Well we rented a car at London, then arrived in Edinburg in 2 days and 2 nights. But i think you can travel in 2 days and 1 night, then sleep in Edinburg the 2nd night. We didn't do that, so we just got to tour Edinburg for 1 whole day. We slept at 2 "bed and breakfast", in 2 quaint english towns. I would truly recommend you try that one time, coz our host for our first night was an old man who was really accomodating and funny! And he made the best English Breakfast i've eaten, made up of sausages, bacon, egg, tomatoes, and mushrooms! Edinburg in itself is a big city, where the terrain is up and down, so it was really breathtaking. It was kinda cold, but the atmosphere wasn't dark, ala Paris. The real treat was passing by other tourist destinations going there, like the famous university town of Cambridge, Hadrian's Wall, and even Sherwood Forest!

Slovakia and Czech Republic, was formerly known as Czechoslovakia, and they decided to separate peacefully into two countries. Bratislava became Slovakia's capital, while Prague became Czech Republic's capital. Too bad for Slovakia, they got most of the industrial and high rise residential part of the former country, while Czech Republic got most of the tourist spots. :)

• You're right
    quote:
    Also, i hated it when we waited for 2 hours at the checkpoint in Slovakia, just because we were FILIPINOS!

Carrying a Filipino passport is most of the time a pain.
    Esp. getting the visas. I have changed my nationality. But i can still remember when I have to sit in waiting lounges & see all the not so pleasant looking foreigners around me. Pati ako... feeling ko..kawawa din.
    But that's another topic.
    LOL
  • I've only been to a few: Germany, Sweden and Denmark. And I love Copenhagen, the capital of Denmark. The city's so nice, people are really friendly, and most specially, it's soooo clean!!! I was planning to also see Paris, Amsterdam and Prague during my stay there, but it was winter then and travelling was kinda difficult that time of year. Probably next year.