Home PEx Lifestyle Travel and Leisure

Why don't Filipinos travel IN the Philippines?

aticusaticus PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
I have many friends who've been to many different countries. The funny thing is, most of them have seen more foreign cities than cities in the Philippines. LA is more familiar to many than Cebu, Davao, and other wonderful Philippine cities.

Why is this so? Don't we like travelling and learning about our beautiful country? Or are we just so excited to leave the country? Is it a matter of hating the Philippines? Not knowing about the Philippines enough to know the good things about it? What exactly?

Any thoughts? Or are we all enjoying vacation abroad? :p

Comments

• i would love to travel in and around the Philippines. there are so many places on my list to go to!
  • Because I don't know what to expect. I'd like to enjoy my holiday. Parang nakakatakot because of the NPA, Abbu Sayyaf atbp. IS it safe??
  • 1. air fare is relatively expensive - not sure now but before it was cheaper to go to hong kong than to cebu

2. lack of decent accommodations in the outlying areas - most places aren't worthy of 2 stars; the rest are luxury hotels targeting (wealthy) tourists

3. poor condition of roads/hi-ways - talk about poor urban planning (WHAT urban planning??)

need more? :)
  • aticusaticus PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Actually, don't you think that if we patronized our tourist spots more they'd have more money to improve facilities?

And why are we so in love with "comfort?" I have many, many friends who hate hotels and prefer nice, quiet, pristine beaches.

just goes to show that the grass is always greener on the other side...
  • maybe, maybe not. let's face it, they're in business to turn a profit. they infuse enough capital just to keep their operations going.

and i have nothing against "nice, quiet, pristine beaches". but, sweetie, have you checked the rates for pearl farm, plantation bay, and amanpulo lately? maybe you'd like to take me one of these days ;)

don't get me wrong, i'm taking you seriously. but i'm a city girl and i don't enjoy roughing it. not even for the most fabulous virgin, undeveloped beach in the world. i count a nice, long, hot shower as my favourite luxury. besides, have you ever tried staying at a place without decent indoor plumbing? the novelty fades with the onset of grim reality. :)

• maybe they jst havent realized yet how great this country is...
  • normally filipinos dont spend money for unnecessary things.they prefer to spend more on foods and stuffs, before anything else.
  • maybe we just feel like philippines is our homebase, we can visit the other tourist spots there anytime. kaso nga, ma?ana habit, nakakaligtaan..and almost everyone sets their sights on farther places.

i live in NY..it's funny though..my american friend tells me, i've been to more places in the US than he has..ganon din sila, i guess. girl.gif
    Originally posted by virgo14:
    maybe, maybe not. let's face it, they're in business to turn a profit. they infuse enough capital just to keep their operations going.

and i have nothing against "nice, quiet, pristine beaches". but, sweetie, have you checked the rates for pearl farm, plantation bay, and amanpulo lately? maybe you'd like to take me one of these days ;)

don't get me wrong, i'm taking you seriously. but i'm a city girl and i don't enjoy roughing it. not even for the most fabulous virgin, undeveloped beach in the world. i count a nice, long, hot shower as my favourite luxury. besides, have you ever tried staying at a place without decent indoor plumbing? the novelty fades with the onset of grim reality. :)

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, there was a prominent publication that listed the 100 greatest inventions of the 20th century. I think indoor plumbing/toilets was no.1!

:)

I, too, am a creature of comfort, but it surprises me that many of my friends from more "developed" countries prefer to rough it. I have a friend from Australia who went to Batad, and stayed for two weeks...
    He just walked into an Aeta village and asked where he could stay. He stayed with an old man, sleeping on the floor, and he woke up at 5:30 am every day to pound the "palay" to get the rice ready for cooking.

He loved it! (I'm not so sure I would have gone on the same nature trip, though...)

And for the record, virgo14, you may call me sweetie any time you want! ;)
  • Originally posted by aticus:
    I have many friends who've been to many different countries. The funny thing is, most of them have seen more foreign cities than cities in the Philippines. LA is more familiar to many than Cebu, Davao, and other wonderful Philippine cities.

This coming from the guy who's been to Athens,Greece, probably to Egypt.. so Mr. Aticus.. hehehe!!! I've been to

1. Baguio
    2. Palawan (hehehe)
    3. Boracay
    4. Roxas City (ehem!)
    5. Iloilo
    6. Davao
    7. Cebu
    8. Batangas
    9. Pangasinan
    10. Zambales
    11. Zamboanga
    12. Pampanga
    13. San Fernando/Angeles
    14. Cagayan de Oro
    15. Camiguin

Although, yeah.. not safe to travel in the Philippines these days.. baka ma-kidnap ka pa!!!
    While it's true, Cricket, that I have been to places abroad, I've LIVED in so many places here. Not just visited, as in LIVED for more than a year in:

a)Zamboanga
    b)Cebu
    c)Davao
    d)Metro Manila (hehehe, every major island group...)

I've also been to Boracay, Baguio, Ilocos, Pampanga, Subic, Batangas, Cavite, Laguna, and quite a few other places I can't recall at the moment...

My assessment? The Philippines may be lacking in certain comforts, but there's no friendlier country in the world! (With the possible exception of Ireland...)
  • And Italy! Gelati!!! Daig ang starbucks anyday!
  • Originally posted by aticus:
    I, too, am a creature of comfort, but it surprises me that many of my friends from more "developed" countries prefer to rough it. I have a friend from Australia who went to Batad, and stayed for two weeks...
    He just walked into an Aeta village and asked where he could stay. He stayed with an old man, sleeping on the floor, and he woke up at 5:30 am every day to pound the "palay" to get the rice ready for cooking.

He loved it! (I'm not so sure I would have gone on the same nature trip, though...)

And for the record, virgo14, you may call me sweetie any time you want! ;)

awww! do you really mean that, sweetie? lol.gif

what do foreigners find so appealing about staying in these rural areas? i'd like to venture a guess. :)

i think it's because these places are so far removed from their own existence as to give it an other-worldly feel. they don't identify with it. they can't relate. they view it from a different perspective, it being so detached from their realities. therefore, they savour the experience for what it is; and when they go back to where they came from, they have nothing but fond memories of their little adventure once upon a time, an exotic camping trip if you will.

but for us filipinos, it is different. how can we detach ourselves from the overwhelming poverty we'd encounter and have fun inspite of it? how can we not feel guilty about our very lifestyles? you ask why Filipinos don't travel IN the philippines? on a deeper level, i think it's because we'd all rather escape the trappings of poverty especially evident in the countryside; to get away from it, if only for a brief respite.

incidentally, i stayed at an aeta settlement on immersion a few years back. i honestly wouldn't trade the experience for anything. who needs a hot shower when there's a refreshing batis nearby! :) and they barely let the girls lift a finger the whole time. :D the physical experience was fun and exciting. but emotionally, i found it very taxing. i couldn't stop crying for days after i got back. i felt so guilty and yet so helpless. i have wonderful memories of it. but i don't think i can do it all over again.
    virgo14, are you an Atenean?

I had a similar experience during my immersion, also at an Aeta village somewhere in the mountains of Bataan.

I agree with many things you said. Perhaps it is due to our guilt, or some other metaphysical thing, but don't you think that maybe some of us are going about it the wrong way?

Instead of denying our poverty by going abroad, we should be ready to face the facts:
    Our country is not as good as it could be, yet we can do something about it.

I've got loads more to say, but I'm not sure this is the venue for it. :) Feel free to e-mail me if you want to discuss this further. I will respond to all legitimate mail.

Lastly, there is at least one group I know that is doing something about it. Check out the following URL:
    www.ima.org.ph

Maybe you can make a difference too.
  • If only i have the time, and money, i would travel all over the philippines. i'd much rather see and explore our country's scenic spots, than go shopping in some asian country. but it is really more expensive to travel in the philippines, than, say, go to hongkong or bangkok.fortunately, i heard that the DOT has come up with a project that encourages locals to travel, at very reasonable package tour rates.
  • Unang-una, kasi masyadong mahal ang presyo at magastos para sa mga Pinoy na magbiyahe. Ang mentalidad yata, kung gagastos ka man lang, mag-abroad ka na. Parang ako, hindi pa ako nakakatungtong ng Baguio pero nakapunta na ako sa Hongkong! Labo talaga...

Pangalawa, mas tina-target/market yata ng DOT ang bansa natin sa mga banyagang turista, siempre papasok kasi dolyares. Pero alam ko rin iyong mga budget rates nila, kailan lang naman nila naging promo ito.

Ako, pangarap ko iyon na isang araw eh malibot ko ang buong 'Pinas! Tama nga ang slogan ng Travel Time: Huwag maging dayuhan sa sariling bayan.
  • Just to correct some misconceptions:

a) It IS cheaper to go to Cebu than HK.
    b) There are good places to stay where the plumbing and bathrooms are tiled, working, flushing, and have running water. You just have to look. Some of these remote areas could give some of our tourist hotels a run for their money. It's not always a case of extremes where the place is either cheap and run-down or nice and expensive. There are many places with in-between accomodations.
    c) There is a lot to be said in favor of sitting in a remote beach, under palm trees, with nothing but the sound of the waves bothering you....and no cellphone signal.
    d) For the past five years I have been traveling, and I have been to Busuanga, Malapascua, Bantayan, Samar, Sagada, extreme Northern Luzon, and all over Palawan (south, central and North). Most of the time backpacking. You don't have to go to Amanpulo or the expensive beaches. Trust me, God didn't give Amanpulo exlusive rights to nice beaches (just go to El Nido or Bususanga and see why). Plantation Bay isn't even nice--too much concrete.

Get the following Guidebooks: Action Asia, Moon, Insight, and Lonely Planet. Combine all of these and then GO! (As I do when I feel the itch to get out of this consumer-driven, overpopulated, polluted city).

What have I found out: It's a BEAUTIFUL country.
    Amen to that! My sentiments exactly!
  • bumili ako ng lonely planet philippines so i can explore our country :)
  • istarbaksistarbaks PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    ako rin... pero di ko pa rin nalilibot pinas...