Home PEx Family and Society Parenting 101
'Tis the season. Happy Holidays, PExers!

Schools for expat kids in Manila

We will be moving to Manila next year and I am researching schools. Our oldest children will be in 1st and 2nd grade when we arrive.

We are a multi-cultural family, currently living in South America. We decided not to put our children in one of the 'real' expat schools here as those tend to be quite far removed from contact with every-day family life in the country. Those schools cater mainly to the children of the extremely wealthy or purely foreign kids.

Our children are here in a local but private Catholic school where they are almost the only foreigners. Tuition is very reasonable and the values system as well as teaching levels are excellent. More importantly, our children are happy and thriving.

We are now looking for a similar school in Manila. We will probably be living in one of the expat 'villages' in Makati City. Any recommendations? Any personal experiences? Thanks.

Comments

• samantha_jonessamantha_jones PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Brent and International School Manila.

Those are the only schools I know that follow the western curriculum.

There are other schools of course, St. Paul College, La Salle, Ateneo, Poveda, Assumption but these school follow the filipino curriculum, thus foreign languages are electives instead of regular subjects, some subjects are taught in Filipino. So your kids will have to learn filipino. History is mainly focused on Philippine History.

I had cousins from London who had a hard time adjusting here when they decided to come back here for good.
  • demi_goddemi_god PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Expat6 wrote:
    We will be moving to Manila next year and I am researching schools. Our oldest children will be in 1st and 2nd grade when we arrive.

We are a multi-cultural family, currently living in South America. We decided not to put our children in one of the 'real' expat schools here as those tend to be quite far removed from contact with every-day family life in the country. Those schools cater mainly to the children of the extremely wealthy or purely foreign kids.

Our children are here in a local but private Catholic school where they are almost the only foreigners. Tuition is very reasonable and the values system as well as teaching levels are excellent. More importantly, our children are happy and thriving.

We are now looking for a similar school in Manila. We will probably be living in one of the expat 'villages' in Makati City. Any recommendations? Any personal experiences? Thanks.

i attended csa makati but my older siblings attended ism (at their old campus in kalayaan) and i highly recommend it. ism,brent, british school, european international, beacon are the only international schools here. you can't go wrong with brent mamplasan or ism (now in a very beautiful campus in fort bonifacio)

for the local but good schools nonetheless, you can consider sending your kids to woodrose (all girls) or southridge (all boys), xavier (all boys) is also a good Jesuit-run school and of course there's colegio san agustin inside dasmarinas village in makati

good luck! if you have questions, feel free to send me a private message.
  • why dont you try Far Eastern University. it is located in downtown manila. They have an excellent program for expat students. here's their site: www.feu.edu.ph

I see a lot of expat students studying there from new zealand, australia, korea, japan, united states, germany, african countries, indian, european, and middle eastern countries. im sure your kids won't be bored there. the school amenities are fine. when you arrive here in manila, try to drop by at their campus, it's worth the visit.
  • oops! your kids are still in grade school? try university of santo tomas then far eastern university when they reach college. if you're still planning to stay here in manila.
  • How long are you planning to stay in the Philippines? If one/some of your kids will be graduating from high school here but will be enrolling in universities abroad, it's better to send them to an international school so that they follow the K12/western curriculum. If you enroll them in schools that follow the local educational system with only 6 years of elementary and 4 years of high school, universities in other countries might require them to take make-up courses or take additional tests. But if your kids won't be here that long, there are a lot of private Catholic schools to choose from: Ateneo High School/Xavier School/La Salle Greenhills (for boys) and La Salle Zobel and Colegio de San Agustin (co-ed). I'm not familiar enough with the exclusive girls' schools to offer recommendations. :shrug: