Home PEx Relationships Love - Principles, Practices & Preferences

Pre-nuptial agreement

Hello to all !

Three to four years from now, I really wanted to get laid.. err.. married I mean. May I know what are your opinions on this thingy? Of course, I know that some Filipina women will get insulted when the agreement has been presented to them. But I would like to know right now, the statistics.. he he

Please understand that I want to protect my hard earned money. :rotflmao:

Burn baby burn! :D

Comments

• I've got no problem with that. Before he died, my dad already arranged with our lawyer my own pre-nup agreement.

Let's be realistic here. You cannot predict the future. You might start happy and fully in love. As a female and his only daughter, my dad wanted to ensure that if some years from now, I ended up marrying a hooligan (instead of someone I thought would love me until the end), at least I am protected.

As long as he's there for me, I would consider the pre-nup invalid. But the moment he makes a fool out of me, then it's a different story....
  • My fianc?e was asking me a month ago about getting married this coming 2006, instead of telling him yes I will marry you, I asked him if he's willing sign on a pre-nup agreement. Obviously he freaked out!!!!! He told me hindi ako mukhang pera. Ganyan ba tingin mo sa akin at hindi ko habol ang pera mo.

I have to protect what I earned because there are lot of things to consider. There are what if's and but's question. What if he is not a sweet guy or a bad mannered person then i will be destined in a very difficult situation. Why hesitate if his intention is crystal clear and if he truly/really loves me. He told me sampal sa mukha daw yung sinabi ko at pinagagawa ko sa kanya. I told him that I have to protect myself and nothing else.

Now, we no longer talk about the pre-nup thing and im avoiding the marriage topic as well.
  • omengomeng PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    ^Ouch. So what do you plan to do now?

3 - 0
  • baklitabaklita PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    ayokong may pre-nup... wla akong mahuthot.
    dalwang bahay pa ang gusto kong agawin...
    bakit ang mga kabit ni erap may mga mansyon?

aihihihi!!!

baklita
  • im fine with it. at least we're both protected. :)
  • kaye_taraykaye_taray PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    foolish!!! why marry somebody you don't really know in the first place diba? hello, would you be willingto sleep with somebody you're not even sure if you'd be waking up the following day with him/her still beside you..diba? my opinion lang naman, don't marry if you're counting inheritances ngayon pa lang.... yun lang po... hehehe!!!
    ^ Just like shaz_z is saying, people do change for worst or for better. :(
  • kaye_taray wrote:
    foolish!!! why marry somebody you don't really know in the first place diba? hello, would you be willingto sleep with somebody you're not even sure if you'd be waking up the following day with him/her still beside you..diba? my opinion lang naman, don't marry if you're counting inheritances ngayon pa lang.... yun lang po... hehehe!!!
    Hey kaye_taray, that’s a very good point. I’m quoting your remarks NOT because I disagree with you, okay? It’s one of the first things I asked myself too regarding pre-nuptial agreement. It’s not fair to the thread starter if I start some heated discussion about this and that’s the last thing I want to happen. But I want to impart things that made me realized why it’s crucial to have this kind of agreement in marriage. These are solely my own thoughts.

Any relationship is a gamble. You’re just the other half of it. Regardless of what you say you are willing or giving your 200% in the relationship, you’re still just the other 50% that makes it as ONE. Relationship takes up different forms. Let’s take the common types applicable in this forum, e.g. best friend, boyfriend and girlfriend, husband and wife relationships. In each category, you are giving your trust and hope that it would work for the best. You participate in the relationship because you want it and it makes you happy. Sometimes, you want it so bad that you feel you’re going to die if you couldn’t have it. You want to keep it for as long as you could and even forever if you can. But still, it is not only dependent on you. It takes two to make it work.

If someone cannot sustain it, there’s going to be a breakdown sometime in the relationship because no matter how much you want to make it work, the other party can’t do it anymore. Feelings, situations, circumstances, daily lives, work, priorities, etc. all of these things changes every day. Any person reacts to this differently and it affects the mindset thereby the relationship. You can say you have control about yourself, but what about your partner? Do you have any control over his feelings and reactions about life simply because you love and trust him? So it’s really a gamble because you cannot control what would happen. And if you accept that it is a gamble, you are going to prepare yourself right from the start in order for you to pick up the pieces when it’s gone (because it can turn sour in the end). Marriage for me is the ultimate form of relationship because it needs far more than the other types of relationship. You have the lead part, you’re the main actor.

For a relationship to work, they always say that you have to be ready yourself first before you can be a part of it. It’s like the clichés: Love yourself first before you can love another; respect yourself first before you can respect others; trust yourself first before you can fully trust another, etc. So if you are capable of doing these things, why can’t you think of trying to protect yourself first and think of yourself first? Those are the questions I asked myself. It opened my mind to the possibility that I may give everything in the marriage, my love, trust, time, commitment, and the belief that he won’t betray me, the ultimate trust. Everything that I could possibly think of that somehow you would say I won’t have any personality anymore because of my trust and belief in him.

But what if he betrays me or fall out of love with me years down the road despite of having children? What if he wants space, a new life due to mid-life crisis? What if he is now in love with another woman and wants to live with her? I can probably accept that he doesn’t love me anymore and can throw whatever life we built, but I don’t think I can ever accept it that he now has a new life at my own expense. You know like living in another house with another woman from my own financial contribution in our marriage. If he wants it that bad, this new life, then he has to work for it and pay for it himself.

You can put several conditions in the pre-nup. It doesn’t have to be only about your own money before you get married. But bottom line is, you are simply safe guarding your own interest if in case something happens. If not, then there’s no reason to exercise the conditions of pre-nup. It can stay in the vault forever under lock and key.
  • Pre-nup is always a sensitive issue..But I think nowadays, we just really have to be practical. If both of you thinks you can stand on its own financially, then it should be no big deal. Nagiging big deal lang naman to dun sa isa na medyo mahina yung financial standing. Coz in a way, it makes them feel like they are marrying for the money. Pero sabi nga, if you have a clean heart with good intentions, then why should you bother. Kung mahal mo talaga yung tao, it shouldn't matter. It should be treated in similar way like life insurance. Kung sino yung mas higher yung risk, diba mas mataas yung premium nya and at the same time mas mataas yung coverage. But it doesn't mean that one is important than the other.
    Hi shaz_z ! Very nice.

Btw, where to sign now? :lol:
  • baklitabaklita PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    ayokong intindihin ang totoo... given the increase in the divorce rate or legal separation... a lawyer will surely argue that it is imperative to protect your assets before you tie the knot. one grave thought is that no matter how in love you are, you have to at least entertain the possibility that it could end in divorce. pre-nuptial agreement means money, money, money! so pwede nating sabihin na a marriage is a business merger?

mahirap bang paniwalaan na marriage is the ultimate union of the emotional, the physical and the financial as well. ano ang affirmative argument ng mga tunay na nagmamahal na di pinahalagahan ang salapi? love conquers all o money rules?

makapunta na nga sa switzerland at magbukas ng secret account.

aihihihi!!!

baklita
    mahirap paniwalaan? of course not.

sobrang mahirap paniwalaan yan. :lol:
  • freakster2k1freakster2k1 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    i dont see why it should matter; as not having a pre nuptial shouldnt matter either. There is always a solution: why not placed all your assets, on a trust? Wouldnt that protect it from your future spouse?
  • omeng wrote:
    ^Ouch. So what do you plan to do now?

3 - 0

right now? im not planning anything at the moment.

unless of course he will agree to the terms given.
  • There is always a solution: why not placed all your assets, on a trust? Wouldnt that protect it from your future spouse?
    Because it is not just about your assets or money that belong to you when you are still single. People has this misconceptions that prenup simply covers those assets. They also thought that prenup is exclusive only for the wealthy. It's not. It's much broader than that.

It could include division of properties, assets or savings acquired by the couple during marriage like who gets the marital house, custody of the kids, visitation rights, rights to spousal support, etc.. This is like setting up the terms that you would like to happen in the event of divorce or separation so that you don't have to go through so much legal fees on top of the emotional upheavals that would most likely happen.

Prenup does not apply only for divorce or legal separation. If death occurs, the prenup conditions are applied that would protect the living spouse and the children as well. Because in this case, you will also state what happens to premarital properties in reference to appreciation, gains, income, rentals, dividends and proceeds of such property in case of death. Prenup is not just about laying out terms for selfishness only. It's for the well being of the couple as well as the children.
    unga! tsaka pag nag-asawa na naman tayo.. diba patuloy parin ang bugso ng pera sa bulsa natin? atin parin yun, right? :lol:
  • freakster2k1freakster2k1 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Can 1 really conceptualize the third jet or the new house at the hamptons? Or perhaps that new minivan? There are ways to circumvent those division of properties-- by setting up corporations and trusts: enabling one to control those resources without really owning them. Then again, why would u want to be the owner of a new gold rolex (imagine the tax burden) if your already wearing it?
  • Can 1 really conceptualize the third jet or the new house at the hamptons? Or perhaps that new minivan? There are ways to circumvent those division of properties-- by setting up corporations and trusts: enabling one to control those resources without really owning them. Then again, why would u want to be the owner of a new gold rolex (imagine the tax burden) if your already wearing it?

natawa naman ako dito....LOL....

merry X-mas to all....it's still very early where I am ....but in the Philippines, it's the actual X-mas na.....so hope everyone is having a ball.....
    Can 1 really conceptualize the third jet or the new house at the hamptons? Or perhaps that new minivan? There are ways to circumvent those division of properties-- by setting up corporations and trusts: enabling one to control those resources without really owning them. Then again, why would u want to be the owner of a new gold rolex (imagine the tax burden) if your already wearing it?

make sense but... agreement is another good thing to me. :D

miss shz_z and banned 4 life, who drafted your agreement? :naughty:
  • omeng wrote:
    miss shz_z and banned 4 life, who drafted your agreement? :naughty:
    My dad's solicitor who practices both corporate and family law. Why, you want a copy for reference? :rotflmao: It was just a simple one, more on just stating general conditions. But of course to be amended when the right time comes... :lol: It needs inclusion of his conditions too...(btw, BF is not averse to the idea...)
    There are ways to circumvent those division of properties-- by setting up corporations and trusts: enabling one to control those resources without really owning them.
    I think this is a logical option for people who are really mega rich or belonging to the high spectrum of the financial ladder. But for ordinary people like me who simply wants protection, prenup is sufficient. Not complicated and less hassle.