Home PEx International Entertainment International Movies

TRANSAMERICA (Felicity Huffman, Kevin Zegers)

TRANSAMERICA (2005)

1021tra9ch.jpg

Credited Cast:
Felicity Huffman .... Bree
Kevin Zegers .... Toby
Fionnula Flanagan .... Elizabeth
Graham Greene .... Calvin
Burt Young .... Murray
Elizabeth Pe?a .... Margaret

Written and Directed by
Duncan Tucker

Plot:
Bree is a perfectly adjusted conservative transsexual woman. Born Stanley, a genetic male, she's about to take the final step to becoming the woman Stanley always wanted to be - until she finds out that she is the parent of a long-lost son. Afraid to tell the rebellious teenager the truth, Bree embarks on a journey with him that will challenge and change both their lives and bring them closer to the truth of their connection. TRANSAMERICA is a funny, touching, coompletely modern look at the modern American family, starring Emmy award winner Felicity Huffman and Kevin Zegers.

TRANSAMERICA has won numerous festival prizes, including awards for best film at the Berlin Film Festival, San Francisco's Frameline festival and the Woodstock Film Festival, and the award for Best Screenplay at France's 2005 Deauville Festival if American Film.

http://www.transamericathemovie.com/

Comments

• yey! a transamerica thread!

*snoopy dance*

yey for felicity!

:D:D

ETA: I'll post something more "meaningful" later. I'm just so happy that there's a thread. :D
  • butterfix: ayan! :D thanks for flying by.
    i'll also post the links of clips and some caps later. :D
  • I saw the trailer in the Ellen show. Ang galing ni Felicity Huffman! *okay* Hmmm... another best actress trophy?
  • superstite wrote:
    I saw the trailer in the Ellen show. Ang galing ni Felicity Huffman! *okay* Hmmm... another best actress trophy?

agree! *okay* felicity really nailed the role.
    funny nung last scene sa trailer
    when she saw the bulge
    :lol:

folks, here's the trailer. (quicktime 7 is needed):
    http://www.apple.com/trailers/weinstein/transamerica/trailer1/
  • I have a feeling Huffman's gonna bag an Oscar for this one...looks good!
  • story.jpg
    Felicity Huffman in "Transamerica."

Our favorite housewife
    Felicity Huffman talks about those rumored "Desperate Housewives" hissy fits, what it's like to have a penis, and why gays may just be the secret to the show's success.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    By Rebecca Traister

April 23, 2005 | "Oh great, a transgendered woman driving across the country with her son! I wanna go see that," jokes Felicity Huffman, describing "Transamerica," the new movie in which she stars as . . . well, a transgendered woman driving across the country with her son.

It's true, it doesn't immediately sound like a sure bet at the multiplex. In the movie, Huffman portrays conservative Bree (formerly Stanley), who is surprised to learn that during college she fathered a son -- who needs to get bailed out of prison for drug posession and driven from New York to California. The road trip occurs just days before the long-awaited operation that will complete Bree's sex change.

But the film, written and directed by Duncan Tucker, makes its North American premiere Sunday at the Tribeca Film Festival, and buzz is strong (it won a prize at the Berlin Film Festival in February). Given the groaning weight of its material, "Transamerica" is surprisingly light and smooth, buoyed by Huffman's compelling performance as Bree, an uptight, prissy woman who happened to have been born male.

rest of article

ETA: :wave: to cultured pearls :D
  • topnotch97topnotch97 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    indie film?
  • heymikeyheymikey PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    yes, it's an indie film. That's why it's only on limited release.
  • article courtesy of Felicity Huffman Online gawd I love this site! :D

La Dolce Musto
    One of TV's Desperate Housewives is moonlighting as a desperate father turned desperate mother. Explain please, Michael. OK, well, DUNCAN TUCKER's Transamerica—which pops up in the Tribeca Film Festival—has the esteemed FELICITY HUFFMAN as Bree, a conservative pre-op transsexual who learns that while she was living as a man, she fathered a son, and whoopsy, he's currently a hustler who needs to be bailed out of jail. The result is a surprisingly conventional road movie, despite its offbeat exchanges. (Bree: "Jesus made me like this so I could suffer and be reborn like he was." Son: "So you're cutting your **** off for Jesus?")

As the would-be holy/holey/ wholly girl, Huffman looks a bit like the adorable KATHY GRIFFIN, which means she truly captures tranny realness. "I'm so glad," Huffman gushed in a phoner when I said she looked the part. "That's what I did all the work for—to not only make the emotional journey true, but also be true to that world."

At first, though, she didn't want the job at all and begged Tucker to get a man instead. "I thought casting a woman would rob it of its inherent drama," Huffman explained. "I felt the drama lies in the sexual assignment, that you hate what's between your legs. But the drama actually comes from feelings that everyone can relate to—alienation, isolation, and self-consciousness. That's what the movie's about, not what's under my dress." Which is a penis, right? "Yeah!" she deadpanned. "Don't tell anyone on Desperate Housewives. That's the third-season mystery!"

The second season's will no doubt be TERI HATCHER's giant, two-headed schlong. But back to the movie: As a woman playing a man who's really a woman, Huffman had to practically chop off her regular voice and body language. "I take my femininity for granted," she said. "I can wear pants and stand like a man and it doesn't jeopardize who I am in the world. But when you're a transsexual, you don't want to show that. It's all about sucking it in and taking up less space." (Hey, I try to do that all the time. I must be a transsexual!)

All right, enough with the sad jokes. In fact, Huffman's hubby, WILLIAM H. MACY, was glad the movie didn't treat her tranny essence like a gag. And Huff herself was so moved that a week after wrapping, when she started shooting Housewives, she still felt the role's pseudo-hormonal effects. "My voice was about four octaves lower," she told me, "and my mannerisms were different. I said, 'I think I'm bad in this series. Or maybe I'm transitioning!' "

This seemed like a good cue for me to lower my voice and transition to the Housewives divas' Vanity Fair cover shoot, supposedly the most tempestuous *****fest since the last Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show. "It's a lot of fury over nothing," swore Huffman (who, as even straights know, plays the ex-career lady Lynette). "The truth is, everybody's been waiting for us to fight from the first press we did." But they ****ing don't!

As always, I saved the most potentially dial-tone-inducing question for last: When those now legendary false reports said that one of the show's cast was coming out as a lesbian, did anyone think it was Huffman? "I don't know," she said, then laughingly added, "Maybe after this movie!"

(Source: The Village Voice, April 18, 2005; by Michael Musto)

Apr 20 2005 by Jenn

link
  • heymikeyheymikey PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    *bump*

I just saw the trailer (I didn't know it was already posted on this thread) and it looks really good. I hope Felicity Huffman at least get a nomination for Best Actress at the Oscars.
  • Bree?

Haha...Always thought Marcia Cross was BREE.

hehehe....
  • JENSIE_GJENSIE_G PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    There's a feature article on Felicity and her Oscar chances at Time Magazine Dec. 19 issue.

:D
    Si Felicity daw yung nasa left... Oscar-bait nga talaga yung role niya.
    co3.jpg

COURTESY OF MOVIEWEB
  • Bree?

Haha...Always thought Marcia Cross was BREE.

hehehe....

hehe. I read that Felicity got so attached to the name that when they were filming Desperate Housewives and they would call Bree (which was Marcia Cross), she would turn around and thought it was her they were calling. :D

ang galing nung ginawa nya for the movie. the research that she went through... how she changed her voice... amazing.
    Read sa Time Magazine Dec. 19 issue na even her daughter was traumatized tremendously upon seeing her in her 'costume' during the shoot for TRANSAMERICA. Poor girl, she was given sessions to overcome her shock and trauma.
    Just saw this film. Felicity will surely get an Oscar nomination. Great performance. Etong klaseng roles ang gustong-gusto pa naman ng AMPAS.
  • I also saw the film, she is my bet for Best Actress!
    ^Galing noh! If this film is released locally, baka may cut... :shrug:
  • Eyeglasses59Eyeglasses59 PEx Rookie ⭐
    kailan ba papalabas dito sa Pinas?

lOve felicity! the once underrated housewife shines!
    I wonder when this film will be released locally... :hmm: