Home PEx Sports PBA

Ritualo to NBA Camp??????

Ritualo to NBA camp?
By Joaquin Henson
The Philippine Star 10/15/2005

It may be too late but although Air21 star RenRen Ritualo isn’t holding his breath, he’s still hoping for an invitation to attend either the New Jersey Nets or Philadelphia 76ers training camp before the next National Basketball Association (NBA) season opens on Nov. 1.

NBA teams are now conducting tryouts while playing preseason exhibition games.

Player agent Sam Unera said yesterday former NBA player Darryl Dawkins sent a tape of Ritualo sinking nine triples in a row for FedEx during a Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) game to the Nets coaching staff with a strong recommendation to invite the Express sharpshooter to camp.

Ritualo was shown on tape burying nine straight treys en route to a 36-point explosion in FedEx’ 116-106 win over Red Bull in the Fiesta Conference last April.

Unera is the general manager of the United States Basketball League team Pennsylvania Valley Dawgs whose coach is Dawkins. He enlisted PBA veterans Bong Alvarez and Vince Hizon to play for the Dawgs last season.

Unera, who lives in Pennsylvania, is in town for a visit to check on business opportunities and monitor the progress of Air21 import Shawn Daniels whom he brought here.

"According to Darryl, the feedback from the Nets coaching staff is positive and they’re asking for tapes of RenRen’s first three games in the PBA this season," said Unera. "If the Nets don’t pursue it, we can go to the Sixers whose coach Maurice Cheeks was Darryl’s teammate and is a long-time friend. But I think the Nets will give RenRen a tryout. They know there’s a big Filipino community in Jersey where there’s even a Manila Avenue. The Filipino fans will come out in full force if a Filipino’s playing for the Nets, that’s for sure."

Unera said his interest in bringing Ritualo to the NBA is strictly patriotic. "I’m doing this for our country," he continued. "We’re looking for the first Filipino to play in the NBA. China, Japan and Korea already had their turn. Now it’s ours."

The first Chinese player in the NBA was Wang Zhizhi. Japan’s Yuta Tabuse and Korea’s Ha Seung Jin made their pro debuts last season. Asians invited to past NBA training camps included Lebanon’s Fahdi Al-Khatib, China’s Lui Wei and Ma Jian and Chinese-Taipei’s Chen Hsin An.

Unera said he has spoken to Air21 team manager Lito Alvarez about the possibility of losing Ritualo to the NBA.

"Mr. Alvarez was excited about it," said Unera. "Naturally, he’ll miss RenRen but he knows it will be a big achievement for a Filipino to play in the NBA. He’s supporting it all the way because it’s good for the Philippines."

Unera said Ritualo’s impressive showing at the Global Hoops Summit in Las Vegas last July opened the eyes of NBA scouts. In a game against Passing Lane Sports, Ritualo knocked down seven treys and scored 27 points. Passing Lane’s God Shammgod, an NBA veteran, tried to silence Ritualo in the fourth period but the "Rainman’ still got away with 16 points, including an in-your-face triple at the buzzer.

After the game, Shammgod approached Ritualo, shook his hand and complimented him for his shooting ability.

Unera said Ritualo’s first game this season was a stock booster. He fired 17 points and hit the game-winning triple off import Marquin Chandler to power Air21 to an 88-86 win over Purefoods last Oct. 7.

Ritualo said Unera told him of the possibility of trying out for the Nets or the Sixers.

"Of course, I’m excited," Ritualo said. "Who wouldn’t be? It’s every player’s dream to play in the NBA. But I’m not conscious about it. I know I still have a lot to learn. My goal is to keep improving. If the invitation doesn’t come this year, maybe next year."

Ritualo said he has to strengthen his legs, especially his calf muscles, and play intelligently now that defenders swarm all over him.

"I’m learning how to play decoy," he said. "I’m trying to penetrate and dish. I try to do whatever my coach tells me. What’s important is our team wins consistently, never mind my individual statistics."

Ritualo, 26, played for San Beda high school then joined the La Salle seniors in 1997. He finished his varsity eligibility in 2001 with a truckload of awards, including Rookie of the Year, two Finals MVPs and four Mythical Team selections. In the Philippine Basketball League, Ritualo also made waves as a regular season MVP and finals MVP. He was Rookie of the Year in the PBA in 2002 and Sixth Man awardee the next year.

After being named to the national team last June, Ritualo said his dream is to win a gold medal for the country and to make every Filipino proud.

wow sana magkatotoo nga ito it will be a very nig honor for us!!

Comments

• wow... even if just being invited to a training camp, i think that he will be first Filipino to ever to do... I still see Ritualo too skinny to play in the NBA but if invited, he will be given things to improve on and we might even see a deadlier Ritualo once he comes back from a training camp in the NBA... but that is a big IF...

:hiphop:
  • I'm not surprised.....

He was really impressive during their (Pilipinas Team) stint at Las Vegas.

He's shooting the ball and making it (with consistency) way above the 3-pt line. And he's doing it with hands on his face against taller defenders.
  • wala pa sya sa kalahati ni allan caidic...
    ritualo is a rhtym player, hes not consistent on hitting those 3's..
    si allan caidic nung time nya talagang pag bumitaw ng tres, 95% papasok!!!
    saka ung laro nmn ni ritualo eh sobrang buhaya eh, nde pede ung ganun sa NBA pwera na lng kung kasing galing mo sila.. jordan, iverson, McGrady etc..
  • wala pa sya sa kalahati ni allan caidic...
    ritualo is a rhtym player, hes not consistent on hitting those 3's..
    si allan caidic nung time nya talagang pag bumitaw ng tres, 95% papasok!!!
    saka ung laro nmn ni ritualo eh sobrang buhaya eh, nde pede ung ganun sa NBA pwera na lng kung kasing galing mo sila.. jordan, iverson, McGrady etc..

In my own opinion, mag kaiba ang laro dati sa laro ngyn!!! nde naman ganoong ka agressive ang laro dati kaysa ngyn eh... kaya b ni Allan Caidic na 2mira sa harap ni Danny S. or ni Duremdez? I Admit na mas shooter talaga si Caidic kaysa kay Ritualo... The way that Ritualo play, may K sya sa NBA....
  • its Joaquin Henson as usual, and the salesman Sam Unera. its up to you to believe a story like this.
    AFAIK, NBA training camps started to release invited players. one of them is Menkee Bateer.

kaya tayo high na high sa mga pantasya dahil sa mga write-ups na tulad nito, paulit-ulit tayong pinagbobola.
    Unera said he has spoken to Air21 team manager Lito Alvarez about the possibility of losing Ritualo to the NBA.
    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:fukcin, malala na talaga tayo:lol:
  • as far as i know, the new jersey nets back court line-up is full. they're looking for a big man to be the 12th guy on their team. unless ritualo gets a foot taller, i don't see him playing in the nets training camp.
  • renvic wrote:
    In my own opinion, mag kaiba ang laro dati sa laro ngyn!!! nde naman ganoong ka agressive ang laro dati kaysa ngyn eh... kaya b ni Allan Caidic na 2mira sa harap ni Danny S. or ni Duremdez? I Admit na mas shooter talaga si Caidic kaysa kay Ritualo... The way that Ritualo play, may K sya sa NBA....

oo magkaiba talaga ang laro dati kumpara ngaun, dati kasi talagang uso ung tirahan at sahuran sa basketbol lalo na ung era pa ni jaworski sa PBA!! tanong mo kung kaya tumira ni caidic sa harap ni danny siegle at kenneth duremdes? sa tingin ko nde na tinatanong yan, ikaw na mismo nagsabi na mas shooter si caidic keysa key ritualo, kung kaya ni ritualo eh di mas kayang kaya ni caidic!! ung panahon ni caidic kahit sino pa ang magbantay sa kanya eh kaya nyang tirahan ng harap harapan sa mukha
    bago ginawa ni caidic ung record nya na 17 three points in a single game eh me record na din sya na 15 three points shot na binura nya mismo!! kung may 'K' si ritualo maglaro sa NBA.... eh siguro na ung panahon ni caidic eh mas may 'k' sya na maglaro sa NBA!!
  • KobeWanKenobiKobeWanKenobi PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    There's no doubt that Caidic can score over Duremdes (6'3") and Seigle (6'7"). Historically, he's scored well going up against players his size to players taller than him whether it be in the PBA or in international competitions where he went up against the giants of China, Kazakhstan, South Korea, etc. Allan has been an offensive machine.

What some of you guys fail to note is that Caidic is NOT just a spot up shooter. He's also an excellent catch and shoot player. And more importantly, he knows how to utilize picks and screens that despite being only 6'2 he's almost impossible to stop especially with his long arms and has a quick release .
  • rubberdickeyrubberdickey PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Wala naman masama kung maniniwala tayo sa mga write ups nila malay mo totoo magandang balita yan para sa ating mga noypi kaya dapat support pa rin natin..
  • color_s_Kaboinkcolor_s_Kaboink PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    wag na kayo magulat sa thread na to...ganyan mga pinoy pag may umaangat.. pilit na hihilain pababa...

pag good times lang sama sama pero pag negatibo na wala na
  • I know that the Nets roster is nearly full, if not full. However, I remain optimistic about Ritualo's chances of making it in the NBA simply because I really want a Filipino to be in the NBA. *okay*
  • There's no doubt that Caidic can score over Duremdes (6'3") and Seigle (6'7"). Historically, he's scored well going up against players his size to players taller than him whether it be in the PBA or in international competitions where he went up against the giants of China, Kazakhstan, South Korea, etc. Allan has been an offensive machine.

What some of you guys fail to note is that Caidic is NOT just a spot up shooter. He's also an excellent catch and shoot player. And more importantly, he knows how to utilize picks and screens that despite being only 6'2 he's almost impossible to stop especially with his long arms and has a quick release .
    Very well said! Malayong malayo ang kahit sinong player ngayon sa overall ability ni Caidic at diskarte sa laro! But, with all those talents & abilities of Caidic e ni hindi rin sya na invite sa NBA sa panahon nya na panahon din sa NBA. Dahil ang paglalaro sa NBA ay hindi puro tira. Kelangan tibay ng katawan, bilis ng kilos at DEPENSA. E di mas lalo nang nananaginip tayo kay Ren Ren. Mas mabibilis ang guwardya ngayon sa NBA kesa sa panahon ni Allan. Tama yung iba, rhythm player si Ren Ren, magmimintis muna yan ng katakut takot bago mag iinit. Hindi pwede yan sa NBA, baka tatlong mintis mo e ibangko kana. Mga Amerikano lang ang pwedeng maging BUWAKAW sa NBA at hinding hindi ang Asyano. Mas magagaling din sa depensa dahil very athletic sila ngayon. E si Ritualo, ano na? Nakapasok na ba ang team nya sa top 4 sa PBA. O partida pa yan ha, very familiar pa sya sa teamates at style of play sa PBA. Bukod dun Pinoy pa ang coaching staff. Kaya pls lang Mr. Unera, msarap managinip ng ganyan, syempre Pinoy ata tayo. Proud to be ika nga. Pero baka sumabog lang yan sa mukha natin, mas kahiya hiya!
  • Sana totoo ito.
  • Yes, Caidic is definitely better than Ritualo, but that's not reason for us to put down this guy. The probable reason Caidic was never invited to the NBA is that it is only now that international players get recognition.

Kung yung Japanese na si Tabuse nakapaglaro sa NBA e. I'm sure Orimo of Japan and Hur Jae of Korea (kasabayan ni Caidic) were better players but they never made it to the NBA too.

So, let's all hope and pray that one day, we'll see a Filipino in an NBA.
  • I hope this will turn out to be true. Hey, anyone up for an idea for a Joseph Yeo in an NBA uniform? :D
  • I pretty much doubt it would happen. Ang daming mga europeans, south americans at iba pang asians na mas shooter or kasing shooter ni ritualo pero mas matangkad at kaya magbaba ng bola sa NBA...

Ritualo is too small and too one-dimensional
  • would be ok if it's true, and a great boost to philippine basketball, but...

1. ritualo's way too small to play SG, or even PG in the NBA. he's still much more of a 2 than a 1 in the PBA, and that makes his chances even slimmer to crack an NBA lineup.
    2. (and most importantly of all) parang drawing lang yan. kilala nyo naman si dean quinito... :rolleyes:

let us just hope it is indeed true, and that the "dean" is on the level...his mere presence in an nba training camp would be a first in local b-ball...
  • shamhoyshamhoy PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    hmmm..ano kaya motive ni mr-know-it-all s article n 'to?
    Ritualo, 26, played for San Beda high school then joined the La Salle seniors in 1997. He finished his varsity eligibility in 2001 with a truckload of awards, including Rookie of the Year, two Finals MVPs and four Mythical Team selections. In the Philippine Basketball League, Ritualo also made waves as a regular season MVP and finals MVP. He was Rookie of the Year in the PBA in 2002 and Sixth Man awardee the next year.

oh..i got it..damn..trying to deflect bad news from the green camp..eh? :naughty:
  • hopefully hindi sya magaya kay tabuse na pag lahat may nets jerseys na ni ritualo sa pinas eh tatangalin na sya.
  • What Ritualo in the NBA camp? :eek: hmmmm..it's only pure speculation mga kababayans. :lol: NBA regular season starts Nov. 1st, that's only 16 days away. :bop: *peace* I don't think these teams want to waste their time and so does Ritualo.

Maybe next year....a BIG hope.