COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

Words na Uso Sa Pinoy

Correct!Correct! I must not tell lies PExer
As of now, ang napapansin kong uso ay ang word na "dude." Kumalat na rin pala diyan. Napalitan na yung "bro."

Pansin ko lang, ginagamit ng Pinoy ang word na "irritating" pag inis sila sa isang tao. But it sounds awkward kasi masyadong formal. Don't they mean annoying instead?

Tapos pansin ko rin, uso na ang word na "pathetic."

Ano pa ba?

PS: Ano ba ibig sabihin ng jologs?

Comments

• SIOPAO MANSIOPAO MAN hooah! PExer
    pinoy lang ang alam kong gumagamit ng word na "thrice", meaning three times. Wala akong naririnig na dehins pinoy ni isang beses gamitin yung word na "thrice" :lol:
  • infinite_trialinfinite_trial ♥ Drayer PExer
    jologs pinalitan nya yung word na baduy.
  • 17181718 android PExer
    "KOREK!" <---uso ngyon yan
  • shonenshonen knife PExer
    sis, manay - lagi ko nakikita sa friendster. bakit ang manoy hinde.

pauso naman ng frend ko - ditse, diko (sa boys).
  • schmoozerschmoozer Bebot akitch PExer
    Here are some of my commonly heard tagalog words: (usually from gay friends)
    pasaway
    chuva
    anik anik
    carry/keri
    chaka
    charing
    epal
    feeling
    jowa
    career/karir
    okray
  • FlyteFlyte Passenger PExer
    Correct! wrote:
    PS: Ano ba ibig sabihin ng jologs?

If I am not mistaken, the word "jologs" evolved during the onset of hiphop fashion in the Philippines, where kids were wearing oversized everything - from their shirts down to their pants, which were "lawlaw" and "nahuhulog" or "najo-jolog" in contemporary gay linggo. Thus, "jologs" became a descriptive word for the hiphop crowd. In my opinion, that's the word etymology.

In the spectrum of subcultures, we had the hiphop "jologs" and the "togs," another colloquial term circulated to describe the punk revivalists from the new generation who were hooked with bands such as Green Day. "Togs" referred to their chunky boots or shoes.

There were reports of clashes between the "jologs" and "togs" poss?s. This is reminiscent of "West Side Story" rivalries between two subcultural groups, such as the Mods-vs.-Teds of the 50s, or Mods-vs.-Rockers of 60s in the UK. Locally, we also have the Rocker-vs.-Hiphop, with one supposedly alternative FM band (now defunct) fanning the fires.

"Jologs" eventually evolved to mean someone with despicably bad taste or no fashion sense, is low class or unsophisticated, or just plain poor. "Togs" never picked up as the punk revival never came to fruition.
    These words are not "uso," but are Filipinized English words.

Pinoys have coined the word "presidentiable" to mean a "presidential aspirant" or "a potential political candidate for the presidency." It did not exist in the English lexicon. I'm not sure if modern dictionaries now carry the word "presidentiable."

One of the strangest oxymoronic twists Pinoys gave to an English word is "salvage," which we came to use as a synonym for "ambush" or "abduction and murder." The English dictionary (Webster's/ Oxford/ American Heritage) defines "salvage" as "to save," coming from the Latin word "salve or salvare."

And while Pinoys have Finglish (Fiilpino English), Singaporeans actually have added their own ethnic eccentricity to the English language, which has come to be known as Singlish. You'll often hear Singaporeans punctuating each sentence with "lah." But while ours is American English, Singapore's influence (same as Hong Kong) came from the Queen's Language or British. So while we'll hear "Please watch you step" at the escalators in our MRT stations, in Singapore (and Hong Kong, another former British colony) they'll say "Please mind the gap" at their rail stations.
  • _LoRrAiN3__LoRrAiN3_ LostNUrbanChaos PExer
    1718 wrote:
    "KOREK!" <---uso ngyon yan

I HATE that.....kainis kaya....pati yung word na "MISMO"...kainis..... :eh:
  • Correct!Correct! I must not tell lies PExer
    One of the strangest oxymoronic twists Pinoys gave to an English word is "salvage," which we came to use as a synonym for "ambush" or "abduction and murder." The English dictionary (Webster's/ Oxford/ American Heritage) defines "salvage" as "to save," coming from the Latin word "salve or salvare."

Haha, I know. Baka kasi katunog ng salvage ang hostage, iunno. Pero your posts are very insightful.

Ano ba ang English translation ng word na "epal?"
  • shonenshonen knife PExer
    gravidad! (grabe)
  • spongeboobspongeboob Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Flyte wrote:
    If I am not mistaken, the word "jologs" evolved during the onset of hiphop fashion in the Philippines, where kids were wearing oversized everything - from their shirts down to their pants, which were "lawlaw" and "nahuhulog" or "najo-jolog" in contemporary gay linggo. Thus, "jologs" became a descriptive word for the hiphop crowd. In my opinion, that's the word etymology.

In the spectrum of subcultures, we had the hiphop "jologs" and the "togs," another colloquial term circulated to describe the punk revivalists from the new generation who were hooked with bands such as Green Day. "Togs" referred to their chunky boots or shoes.

There were reports of clashes between the "jologs" and "togs" poss?s. This is reminiscent of "West Side Story" rivalries between two subcultural groups, such as the Mods-vs.-Teds of the 50s, or Mods-vs.-Rockers of 60s in the UK. Locally, we also have the Rocker-vs.-Hiphop, with one supposedly alternative FM band (now defunct) fanning the fires.

"Jologs" eventually evolved to mean someone with despicably bad taste or no fashion sense, is low class or unsophisticated, or just plain poor. "Togs" never picked up as the punk revival never came to fruition.

really? i thought the word "jologs" came from "jolina organization" :bop: .. hehe un kasi sabi ng mga friends ko eh.. hindi pala..
  • screamocratscreamocrat Whut It Dew? PExer
    Any word that's in with our people is bound to be the equivalent to nails going across a chalkboard.
  • ziggyboyziggyboy Member PExer
    An Aussie who has been to the Philippines actually told me that there reall is Filipino English. He doesn't mean Taglish, he means that Filipino English is actually an English dialect in its own. Sabi niya we form sentences in a particular way, and use certain words more than others and have preferences in the way we say things. He did mention that Filipinos write well but we "talk the same way as our writing", that's why many Filipinos write well (good grammar, etc.) but when we talk they find it too formal.
  • maLdita_2019maLdita_2019 Member PExer
    JOLOGS is USO kahit noon pa...hehehehe!
  • mytribo1mytribo1 Member PExer
    i think "pasaway" is one.

the phrase "you know" instead of saying "di ba".
  • bosstlbosstl bzzzt...need a light?? PExer
    shonen wrote:
    sis, manay - lagi ko nakikita sa friendster. bakit ang manoy hinde.

pauso naman ng frend ko - ditse, diko (sa boys).

bihira gamitin ang manoy openly kasi kadalasan ginagamit yan to refer to the boy's genital.

ang ditse talagang ginagamit yan to refer to a sibling. di ko lang sure aling order.
  • dihjeixxdihjeixx Member PExer
    yung word na "sh!t" uso to sa pinoy.
    minsan pa nga "sheeeeeeeeeeeet!"
    Correct! wrote:
    Ano ba ang English translation ng word na "epal?"

I believe "epal" came from "mapapel." But sorry, I can't think of an English equivalent to this Filipino expression.
  • RaPRaP Member PExer
    most typed word on local counter strike servers (pldtplay)

amp
    spongeboob wrote:
    really? i thought the word "jologs" came from "jolina organization"

There is a possibility that "jologs" also evolved to become an appropriate acronym for "jolina organization." However, I am not aware that "Jolens" has a fan club called "jolina organization" or if people actually refer to Jolina fans as the "jolina organization." But we can say with certainty, "jologs si Jolens!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file