Home PEx Hobbies Books and Literature

anne rice anyone???

Comments

• I love anne rice but don't even try going near Memnoch the Devil(book 5 of the Vampire Chronicles) or Violin. Kaantok mashado!For those who have the patience(and time), try Witching Hour (Book 1 of Lives of the Mayfair Witches) it'd make Lasher a very interesting book :)
  • loved "queen of the damned" and "memnoch the devil". haven't read anything outside of the vampire chronicles (the original set) aside from the following: "the mummy" (nice-ish), "taltos" (deplorable book), "cry to heaven", "pandora" (disappointing), and "vittorio" (so-so).

can anyone tell me if "violin" and "armand" are good reads?
  • I once bought a boxed set of anne rice's the vampire chronicles, and I have to say that she is......inconsistent at best. I mean, some books like The Vampire Lestat, Queen Of The Damned, and (maybe) Memnoch The Devil were decent reads, but Interview, Body Snatcher and Armand were pure torture. I mean, they were so bad that I had to force myself to finish them as quickly as possible so I can forget about them as quickly as possible.

[This message has been edited by PauTOT (edited 07-14-2000).]
  • Used to be a rabid Rice fan here but gotta admit some of her other books ARE snooze-inducing (especially Violin... the main character sounds like Rice herself, dontcha think?) snooze.gif . I still like the Vampire Chronicles and some of the Taltos series. The Sleeping Beauty Trilogy is extremely perverse (there's this statue thing with the huge *thing* that offenders have to... ok, I won't say anymore. It's creeping me out) bleh.gif
  • i just read queen of the damned....and i love it
  • awwwwwwww........i miss reading her workkkkkkk
  • Originally posted by Abby McBeal:
    loved "queen of the damned" and "memnoch the devil". haven't read anything outside of the vampire chronicles (the original set) aside from the following: "the mummy" (nice-ish), "taltos" (deplorable book), "cry to heaven", "pandora" (disappointing), and "vittorio" (so-so).

can anyone tell me if "violin" and "armand" are good reads?

Violin? wag na! bop.gifbop.gif kaantok masyado. Armand is good.You get to know more about him, since he wasn't a principal character like Lestat is sa Vampire Chronicles. :)
  • i really like anne rice's vision and concept of vampires. compared to bram stoker's insensitive monster, her vampires have romance and music around them. she gave them dimension and purpose.

the one thing i hate about anne rice, though, ...is her prose! god, the woman is so verbose!! as in VERBOSE!! her books wouldn't be so g..damned boring if she cut to the chase. i read her letter adoring the tom cruise movie version (which she bashed), and all i thought was, is she long-winded or what?!! is she ever getting to the point in this century?

anyway, just my two cents worth.. she has a brilliant imagination (what about those beauty novels, ha?) pa rin. da best!
  • Her 22-ear-old son is putting a book out himself. I don't have the title but it's not as dark as his mother's works.

Rice scares me! I believe she's talented. But I wish she would focus her talent on lighter things.
  • I love Anne Rice's novels "Servant of the Bones" and "Cry to Heaven"... blush.gif i like her style in these ones... also read some of her Vampire Chronicles and Mayfair witches, even have a collection of them though mostly I have not read them bop.gif

All in all, they're all worth readin... just make sure u don't fall asleep snooze.gif
  • I like Anne Rice. I have almost all her books, except for Pandora and Vampire Armand (the newest ones).

I love Ramses the Damned. He's --- so flawed yet you can't help but fall in love with him.
    inluv.gif

I also like Lestat in the Vampire Chronicles. shy.gif i guess i like the bad guys huh?
  • I used to be obssessed with the Vampire Chronicles, especially with Lestat blush.gif I mean, what makes Anne Rice so great is her ability to create this whole new universe and make it completely believable. I actually believed we could be vampires. Well, sometimes it gets scary like in Memnoch the Devil, but hey, she always makes you think, huh?
    Anyway, does anybody have any info on the Queen of the Damned movie? and in case you guys don't know yet, Rice's new Vampire Chronicle, Merrick, is due out September (in the US, i think) :)

[This message has been edited by rinoa_gurl (edited 08-05-2000).]
  • i love anne rice. i love her characters more, especially lestat. another favorite are the mayfair witches. her stories are all so deliciously spine-tingling. i didn't like memnoch the devil though. that was too weird for me. another thing i hate about her novels are the homosexual in it. the way she injects more and more about homosexuality in her more recent novels are really disturbing and in fact, annoying even. not that i abhor homosexuality. i just don't find it entertaining. the mayfair witches was a beautifully done novel. i loved it very much. the vampire chronicles were great too.
  • any news of anne rice putting out new books?
  • lolz.....ako i really enjoyed Taltos....tas am trying to read Lasher...then i'll read Witching Hour....lolz...

try nyo basahin yung "Cry In the Night' ba yun??? lolz..nde ko maalala....abt eunuchs...basta
  • i love anne rice's books...especially yung vampire chronicles :):)
  • yupyup! same here! :D

my favorite is Vittorio the Vampire
    and Tale of the Body Thief

next to those, Servant of the Bones
    then The Vampire Armand

...ah what the heck, i loved all those i read! lol.gif
  • i've read all of them!!!fav ko yung tale of the body thief...kakaiba talaga...but one of my friends told me na junk daw yung 'the violin'...
  • Hindi naman sa ayaw ko yung mga novels ni Anne Rice kaso a part of me says na her topics talaga are generally --- "demonic" in nature. No offense, comment only. Kasi yun nga yung factor para maging interesting yung mga creations niya di ba.:teehee:
  • Originally posted by DELISYUS
    lolz.....ako i really enjoyed Taltos....tas am trying to read Lasher...then i'll read Witching Hour....lolz...

try nyo basahin yung "Cry In the Night' ba yun??? lolz..nde ko maalala....abt eunuchs...basta

DELI have you read "Belinda" ?

you'll enjoy "the witching hour" hataw sa history, at sex.