FEATURE ADJUSTMENT: The Flag button is temporarily unavailable for members. We are doing certain system adjustments as of the moment to prevent some users from abusing this feature. For reports, please message the moderators or email us at [email protected]
PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at [email protected] Thank you!

Newborn boy: Circumcision or not? [Merged]

zarlatorazarlatora crash! boom! bang! PExer
To do or not to do? What are the pros and cons?

Would you have your son circumcized upon birth?

Comments

• Mickey2000Mickey2000 TheFoodBlogger PExer
    mickey.gifI do, wala naman pros and cons,parehas lang naman,aside from mas magastos kapag naghintay ka pa na mag one yr old sya.
  • annieliseannielise sui generis PExer
    I'm giving birth in October and I'm gonna have my baby circumcised at birth. My friend had her son circumcised at birth too in Medical City in Pasig. Pareho lang naman cos eventually you'll have your baby circumcised anyway. The foreskin is NOT gonna grow back, don't believe those myths. Besides, the baby will not remember the pain when he grows up. I know guys who were circumcised at birth who don't remember how it felt.
  • flavvvahflavvvah Member PExer
    hay nako, i still haven't decided if i'm gonna have my babyboy circumcised when i give birth.

bka mamaya mas mahirap alagaan? di kaya?
    Nope. The operation heals in 4 days. Before that, baby gets a sponge bath. After that, it's full bath for him.

The baby will be on local anesthesia so it really will not hurt for him.
    mickey.gifyup!, petroleum jelly lang ang ipapahid mo,wala ng iba?
  • seasonseason work in progress PExer
    we had our son circumcised at birth. my OB was kind of against it (she referred us to another OB who did the procedure) because of the recent studies on how the trauma of the experience is "seen" in the child years after.

my husband feels that since he was circumcised at birth as well, and nothing happened to him, better na do the same for our baby, than let him experience and remember the agony when he's a lot bigger.
  • zarlatorazarlatora crash! boom! bang! PExer
    annielise.. good for you, youve made up your mind. share mo naman here what happens after the procedure.. like how you took care of the wound (will there be a wound?).. or how to clean the infant's penis..

i'm still torn. although laser naman daw, i know hindi ganun ka messy yun, pero baka naman sobrang intensive care pagdating sa penis ng infant?

thanks for d replies
  • JdelaCruzJdelaCruz Place Avatar Here PExer
    Just because the baby won't "remember" the pain does not mean he did not experience it. Why make the little one undergo such a risky procedure? A lot of things can go wrong.Mamaya, madulas pa yung doctor, mahirap na. You know, if there's something gonna go wrong, you don't want it going wrong in that part of the anatomy!

A friend of mine had the baby circumcised, the wound got infected. The baby at one week old was taking anti-biotics imagine that.

God knows what stress the baby suffers that just gets imbedded in his subconscious only later to manifest itself in some form of trauma or another.

What the hell is wrong with circumcision at the summer betwen Grade 5 and Grade 6? When he goes through it with his neighborhood friends that will eventually be his pals for life? When he bonds with his Dad for the nightly paglalanggas? When his best friend and badge of honor is a pair of loose skirt-like shorts? When he feels and knows and experiences for himself the pride of crossing the bridge between boyhood and manhood? Let not your kid miss out on that!
  • actually... if you really dont want the baby to feel any pain, theres always the option of not having him circumcised at all... if im not mistaken, its really not necessary. then when he gets older and maybe he'll ask for it, then he can be circumcised and it wont be as painful, because he was the one who wanted it...
    Circumcision is always a touchy subject and it is really a matter of preference and judgment call. So PLEASE do NOT insult the judgment of parents just because they opt to have their babies circumcised at birth. Parents have their own reasons for doing so and if you decide not to have your baby circumcised at all, it's your decision too. Here in America a lot of parents do NOT have their babies circumcised AT ALL and people respect their decisions, so respect the decisions of parents who wish to have their babies circumcised too. A lot of Filpinos are always on that touchy side of things saying, "kawawa naman ang baby", but then they don't even consider the feelings of ten and eleven-year old boys who go through exactly the same process and remember the pain as well. What if something goes wrong with the procedure you say?? But whether you have the circumcision done as an infant or as a pre-teen, there is ALWAYS the risk (albeit a very small percentage) of something that can go wrong. That particular line of reasoning is only acceptable if you opt NOT to circumcise your child at all (in short, he'll be forever uncircumcised). If you wish to have your son circumcised later in life, that's not a valid argument, because there WILL be risks in any medical procedure. But I don't and will not say that there's anything wrong in circumcising a child later in life because it's the parents' judgment call so I respect that. If people want to circumcise their babies at birth, you ought to respect that too.
    Originally posted by zarlatora
    annielise.. good for you, youve made up your mind. share mo naman here what happens after the procedure.. like how you took care of the wound (will there be a wound?).. or how to clean the infant's penis..

i'm still torn. although laser naman daw, i know hindi ganun ka messy yun, pero baka naman sobrang intensive care pagdating sa penis ng infant?

thanks for d replies
    mickey.gifYou don't need to worry about the wounds, parang ordinary sugat lang din naman sya, actually my baby didn't feel any pain at all,kapag nilalagayn ko ng Petroleum Jelly.Yung infection naman,make it sure lang na malinis yung kamay mo kapag nagpahid ka,kasi I used my bare hands instead of using cotton,kasi dumidikit yung fiber,during the circumcision, doon ko lang narinig umiyak yung baby ko,and it's just a few minutes lang or I think 30 seconds as far as I remember,during the healing time, comfy naman sya,kahit na me diaper, ako mas prefer ko talaga kapag baby pa,saka kasi parang part na ng pinoy culture,di ba sabi nga nila parang madumi kapag hindi ka nacircumsised,so yun,para sa akin lang, kapag me isip na sila, hindi lang physical pain ang masakit,I think pati emotional aspect as well,imagine you can't live the house not unless you want to wear a skirt. :lol:
    Originally posted by JdelaCruz
    When he bonds with his Dad for the nightly paglalanggas? ....Let not your kid miss out on that!
    mickey.gifMy hubby and my son have a lifetime to spend time w/ each other or to do the "bonding" thingy,and If my son miss that "panglalanggas bonding",I don't think he missed any part of his life at all. :glee:
  • flavvvahflavvvah Member PExer
    Siguro, I'll have my son circumcised when he gets older nalang. For one thing, I'm a first-time mom. I know so little about newborn care (even though I've devoured books on the subject). So siguro, I'll just have him circumcised later on.

Share ko lang. There's this one horror story about this little boy (I think in England or sa U.S.). His parents had him circumcised at birth. Nagkamali yung doctor and he burned (laser kc) the whole penis. So what they did was to replace the penis with a vagina. PInalitan nalang nila. My gosh. This story made me cringe.
  • WittygurlWittygurl Pectore Velnus PExer
    Like flavvvah, I'm a first time mom.. I share the same dilemma thats why I didn't allow him to be circumcised.

Another reason is I don't want him to compare his little thingy with the other kids.
  • JdelaCruzJdelaCruz Place Avatar Here PExer
    sorry... i never thought voicing an opposing opinion would be considered an insult in america. i meant to do no such thing.

all im saying is, i've seen ten or eleven year boys and i think they are less fragile-looking than newborn babies, hence their bodies are a little more built to handle some pain or deal with wounds better than day-old babies. that's not illogical is it?

as for the bonding, rite of passage, badge of honor comment... that's coming from a male point of view. with all due respect, i don't think mothers and females and general will ever get it. with all due respect.

please consider my post not as an insult, but an opinion from a father of a son and a male circumcised at 11 years, if nothing else.
    All I'm saying is that here in the US, people actually refuse to have their child circumcised at any age, so he grows up uncircumcised. In the RP, boys HAVE to get circumcised whether he likes it or not (at least most boys). If people here opt not to have their boys circumcised at ALL and people respect that, why not here in this forum where most of us are Pinoys and most are bent on having their sons circumcised either now or later in life? Oh no, don't worry, voicing an opposing opinion is not and will never be an insult whether in the US or in the Philippines (why the discrimination "in America"?). It's those wry and cryptic statements that really go beyond merely stating an opposing opinion.
    Originally posted by flavvvah
    Siguro, I'll have my son circumcised when he gets older nalang. For one thing, I'm a first-time mom. I know so little about newborn care (even though I've devoured books on the subject). So siguro, I'll just have him circumcised later on.

Share ko lang. There's this one horror story about this little boy (I think in England or sa U.S.). His parents had him circumcised at birth. Nagkamali yung doctor and he burned (laser kc) the whole penis. So what they did was to replace the penis with a vagina. PInalitan nalang nila. My gosh. This story made me cringe.
    mickey.gifSabagay nasa sa iyo din naman iyan eh, pero kasi dito sa US one week after I gave birth, may visiting nurse na agad eh, chine check nila kung tama ba yung pag-aalaga ko sa baby ko,since I'm also a first timer, then chinecheck din nila yung wounds,then tuturuan ka nila, pati kung paano magpaligo sa baby,kaya very comfy talaga.
    Natawa naman ako sa story mo although it sounds like a hoax to me,kasi it's next to impossible,(not the sex change),syempre naman magtataka naman yung parents,lalaki anak nila nung pinasok sa operating room,paglabas naging girl na :lol:
    I'm also a first-time mom, I just learn from my friends and relatives who had their sons circumcised at birth. Like Mickey, I'm very secure about the medical procedures here in the US, so I don't have much fears about the issue. However, my close friend who had my inaanak circumcised as a baby gave birth at Medical City in Manila and this did not pose any problems. So I am pretty sure circumcision is relatively a safe procedure in RP (just don't rely on those mang kepweng-albularyo types though, if you want to make sure).

Flavvvah, Wittygurl - I understand your fears and I respect your opinions. I was also like that before, same sentiments. Just had a change of heart. It was a joint decision between me and my husband.

season: Why did the OB circumcise your baby? Isn't it supposed to be the pediatrician? Our pedia is the one circumcising our son.
    Originally posted by annielise
    (just don't rely on those mang kepweng-albularyo types though, if you want to make sure).
    mickey.gifNatatawa ako sa mga kwento about this albularyo circumsicion,papanguyain daw sila ng dahon ng bayabas dahil iyon daw ang gagamitin pagkatapos hiwain yung "ano" nila,then pagpalo,nalulon daw yung dahon sa halip na iluwa :lol: :lol:,then usually daw nasa tabi ng ilog ang kanilang location,para daw after ng "operation" talon na lang bigla sa ilog, pucha eh di ang sakit non :lol:
    Mickey: Patawa ka talaga! Pero funny talaga yung bayabas thing! :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file