COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

List down your favorite books of all-time!

I love books...and I'm always out to read more. I'm sure everyone's got a couple of favorite books they'd keep for their kids, or even their grandchildren to read. List them down!

You can include fiction, non-fiction, sci-fi, comic books, graphic novels, humor, anthologies, or inspirational novels.

Comments

• babyfatbabyfat Member PExer
    Great topic, Aragorn! Here are some of my favorite books: The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (reminiscent of George Orwell's 1984, which is also very good); Animal Farm by Orwell, which makes the hairs on my arms, neck and back stand on end every time I read it; Alice in Wonderland; Women Who Run with the Wolves by Clarissa Pinkola Estes. I also like reading anthologies -- my favorites are Story by Rofel Brion, and Forbidden Fruit: Women Wrote the Erotic (various authors). I also collect children's books. The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein is a classic -- I believe children's books don't get much better than that. Some are touching ("I Love You Forever"); some are just plain funny ("The Cat in the Hat"). If you read a good children's book, you'll be surprised how profound it can be, how relevant its message is, and how moving. Little Blue & Little Yellow is one example -- it will at first seem to be a story about primary colors, but as you turn the pages you'll see how it touches on racial discrimination. I also love, love, love Roald Dahl's "Charlie & the Chocolate Factory" and "Witches." Happy Reading!!!
  • AragornAragorn Aragorn PExer
    Those are some very interesting books...I've heard of Margaret Atwood, but I never knew her type of writing. Reminiscent of 1984, huh? Sige, I'll pick it up one of these days.

Also, I agree with you wholeheartedly on children's books. Some other Silverstein classics for me are: The Missing Piece, and The Missing Piece Meets the Big O. To those of you looking for that special someone, these books will give you a fresh new perspective.

I love The Cat in the Hat! But my personal Seuss favorite is Oh, The Places You'll Go! partially because it was read to us in 1st year college math class by our teacher, right after a horrible mid-term exam.

Regarding Roald Dahl, I suggest you pick up his autobiography, Boy (there's a sequel to that, but the title escapes me). It's about his life, but you'd wonder if he wasn't really Charlie under another name! =)

Come on, guys, keep those lists comin'!
  • batang uliranbatang uliran Administrator PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Lord of the Rings trilogy by Tokien.
    Dune Trilogy - didn't really care for the ones that came after. By Frank Herbert.
    Foundation Trilogy by Aasimov
    Ringworld by Heinlein.
    Anything by John Le Carre

As you can tell, my interest in Sci-Fi is obvious.
  • MaviMavi Member PExer
    These are my favorites:

Guess How Much I Love You
    I Love You Forever

My co-teachers made up a tune for the mother's lullaby. Our kids just love it when we sing it to them!
    The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
    The Heart That Followed Me Home

This is too abstract for my 5 yr olds to grasp, still it is very nice. Each time the boy would do a good deed, his pet heart would grow bigger. This was written by a Filipino.

Faery Tales by Hans Christian Andersen
    Encyclopedia Brown by Donald Sobol
    I loved to solve his cases.
    Amelia Bedelia series by Peggy Parish
    Funny, funny, funny!
    A Bear called Paddington by Michael Bond
    I have never met such a polite bear in my life!
    The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh by A.A. Milne
    The Cow-Tail Switch a West African Folk Tale
    The Velveteen Rabbitby Margery Williams

These books have more than 10 pages and buying them for my library would be worth it. Sana in the future, someone could put up a children's library where parents (along with their children) may borrow books to read to their children before they go to bed. Can you imagine having to buy one book for every night you read to them? I'd like to buy them for my own but like babyfat said, children's books can be very expensive. I suppose it's because they're hardbound.
    Batang Uliran:
    try out The First Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, by Stephen R. Donaldson. Great trilogy, somewhat reminiscent of Tolkien's original work, but more focused on the individual's struggles.

also, I heavily recommend getting Twilight Zone Complete stories, written by the one and only Rod Sterling, who wrote and directed the original tv series, while you're in the states. It's very entertaining, and perturbing reading. One of my personal favorites.
  • nixnix Administrator PEx Moderator
    I enjoy all the writings of Raymond Feist, especially the Magician series. I also like the works of Leo Tolstoy a whole lot, especially his short stories.
    You know, in the States, Barnes and Noble actually allow their customers to browse through the collection.

Also, they've got a non-profit foundation that donates children's books to public schools and to parents. sayang nga...

But locally, I think our local publishers are coming out with very good works, both in terms of art and paper, and story. They're cheaper, too. But you're right about imported children's books. My three Shel Silverstein books cost me over P1,200! Ouch!
    Mavi, you're a preschool teacher? You should take your "kids" to the Kids' Lib in Q.C. It sells childrens' books, but it also encourages browsing. You can stay there the whole day and I don't think you'd be pressured by the storekeepers into buying a book. It's owned by Felix Migel and Amel Zubiri, themselves children's book authors. I haven't been there, but I tool a class called "Writing & Illustrating for Children" and our teacher, writer Jose Badelles, couldn't stop talking about the place.
  • ChiQuiChiQui Member PExer
    I read "Little Women" when I was younger and even until now, I don't mind reading it over and over. It's the type of book that you can't seem to get enough of.

I also like reading "Chicken Soup for the Soul". There are many enlightening stories that either make you think about you life or make you feel good about it. :)
  • GenevieveGenevieve Member PExer
    my fave book is THE FIRM by John Grisham, actually any books by him is a good one, its like once you start reading it, u cant seem to stop till u finish it ?
  • AdaAda Administrator PEx Moderator
    Aragorn: Margaret Atwood is a sci-fi writer. I think Handmaid's Tale is her most popular work. I have a copy which you can borrow if you want.

The books I love:

1. One Hundred Years of Solitude and Chronicle of a Death Foretold -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

2. Star of Acabar -- Og Mandino

3. To Kill A Mockingbird -- Harper Lee

4. Catcher in the Rye -- JD Salinger

5. 1984 -- George Orwell

6. The Sands of Time -- Sidney Sheldon

7. Doctors -- Erich Segal

8. It -- Stephen King

9. Butcher's Theater -- Jonathan Kellerman

10. I Kissed Dating Goodbye -- Joshua Harris

As a kid, I loved Nancy Drew, The Hardy Boys, Sweet Valley High, and Childcraft.
    I was in Powerbooks recently and was looking for a good suspense/thriller novel. I left empty handed because I was overwhelmed by the number of authors I had to choose from (all of them were unfamiliar to me.) Any suggestions?
    Suspense-thriller, eh?

Try these:
    anything by Mary Higgins Clark - she specializes in mystery-type stories, but definitely more unpredictable and more psychologically detailed than Perry Mason books.

You can also pick up "Thinner" by Stephen King, if there are any reprints out. They turned it into a movie about 8 years ago.

How about Michael Crichton's "Eaters of the Dead"? It's a very good, absorbing plot, with the same kind of suspense as "Congo".

A classic would be "Firestarter" by Stephen King also...I loved the movie, and I loved the book!

If you're into the surreal, see if Powerbooks already has Neil Gaiman's first novel, "Neverwhere". It's about this guy who accidentally gets stuck in London's "underground" (literally) society. Very good reading.
    Hi Aragorn!

Any specific title from Mary Higgins Clark? I recently finished her Remember Me and I didn't quite like it. Too choppy.

You're right about Thinner . It's one of King's better books.

I'll try to see if I can get a hold of Gaiman and Crichton's books.
  • MikoidMikoid Administrator PExer
    Aragorn,

I have to agree with you on the First Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. It's brilliantly written with some of the most vivid descriptions of a fantasy world I've ever encountered! It's damned depressing but it makes the end even more triumphant!

Don't read the Second Chronicles, though. It's hopelessly morbid depression without the triumph.

Which reminds me, don't I have a falling-apart copy of Book 2: The Illearth War still with you?

A good pulp swords-and-sorcery set is Feist's Riftwar saga, particularly the first two books Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master. It's like reading a game of Might and Magic (or is it the other way around???).

I've got a collection of the entire Sandman cycle, and since I classify it as literature, I'll recommend it to anyone. The way Gaiman binds mythologies together into a profound story is uttterly amazing (see, I even used three T's)!

The best Sandman books: Season of Mists, Brief Lives, and The Wake. The best single issues: Ramadan, The 2nd to the Last Issue with the Chinese Art, and The Sound of Her Wings.

Other favorites: James Clavell's Shogun, for his take on feudal Jap culture. Isaac Asimov's Foundation Trilogy, for brilliant discussions and a sweeping tale of future history, er, psychohistory. William Gibson's Neuromancer, because he was on-line before anyone else. Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns, for bringing us the One True Dark Knight. Carl Sagan's Contact, for teaching us to dream like the ants.

- Mikoid

"By dipping them in myth, we see them more clearly." - CS Lewis
    Ada: Try "The Green Mile" (in 6 parts) and "Different Seasons" (which has one story for every season, including the more well-known "Rita Hayworth & the Shawshank Redemption") both by Stephen King.

Hmmm... "The Handmaid's Tale" is supposed to be... sci-fi? Never really saw it that way, although it does look into some very frightening possibilities for the future...
  • batang uliranbatang uliran Administrator PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    babyfat:

Stephen King's The Green Mile is about to come to the widescreen starring Tom Hanks and it's supposed to be one of the hottest upcoming movies.
    Hi Babyfat!

I've read "Different Seasons" and enjoyed "The Shawshank Redemption" eventhough it wasn't Stephen King-ish in nature. I couldn't even believe that "Stand By Me" was based on one of his works.

Yeah, "Handmaid's Tale" is supposedly sci-fi. It was one of the required readings in a sci-fi lit class I took.
  • faurafaura Member PExer
    When I saw the topic I was hoping to find suggested Filipino reading fare, or at least a listing of notable books/novels by Filipino authors. Perhaps someone can start with that (or should that be done under another topic -- well, this IS "Pinoy Culture"). It may sound out of place, but let me just throw in this title by Jun Cruz Reyes:

Tutubi, Tutubi, Huwag Pahuhuli sa Mamang May Bigote

(Apologies if the title is not entirely accurate. It is a long one, I do not have a copy onhand, and I am digging (deep) into memory.)

[This message has been edited by faura (edited 08-20-1999).]
    For books written by local authors, my picks would be:

Gapo
    Dekada '70
    Luha ng Buwaya

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file