Home PEx Hobbies Books and Literature

Awful Books You've Read

i'm a big John Grisham fan but i have to agree with Ira, The Runaway Jury sucked big time. i placed that book on the top most shelf so i wouldn't think of reading it ever again. i also hated "Palm Beach" by Pat Booth : all sex, no story

Comments

• AdaAda Administrator PEx Moderator
    List the awful books you’ve read so you can spare the PEx bookworms from making the big mistake of reading, worse, buying them.

My list:

Lasher by Anne Rice – it was so awful I swore I’d never read any of Rice’ books again.

The Hellfire Club by Peter Straub – A supposedly exciting novel, I couldn’t wait to finish it so I could banish it to my shelf to be forgotten forever.

Bloodline by Sidney Sheldon – I like most of his works, but this one is the pits (among his older works, that is.) Most of the books Sheldon’s come out with for the last 5 years are really awful too. Makes me wonder if someone’s ghost-writing for him (he’s really old, right?)

V.C. Andrew’s books (I forgot the titles of the ones I’ve read) – Intriguing plot but distorted sense of values.

Danielle Steele’s novels – same plot, different characters. No wonder she writes books by the zillion.

I’ll just add to my list if I think of some more.
  • "The Celestine Prophecy" by James Redfield. And also its sequels. Real Awful! I blamed the cosmic forces that I found and read this one.
  • Land of Plenty by Tim Pears...nice plot but he's ssssssssoooo detailed....the story gets so dragging...i didnt finish the book na lang...
  • You know what's surprisingly boring? Salman Rushdie's "Midnight's Children." Ugh.
  • IraIra PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    The Runaway Jury by John Grisham- this book was so @#%$)^&$ awful I was cheering for the bad guys and praying that the good guys would get killed somehow.

Slow Waltz on Cedar Bend and Bridges of Madison County by Robert Walker - 'nuff said.

Anything by Danielle Steele and Sidney Sheldon.
  • i do agree w/ ada. i've read some and yes, the plot may have a lot of twist--who's who and what did who did to whom--but then most of them (the ones i've read) were purely about incest.
    I'll add Grisham's The Chamber to my list. It's soooo dragging. I wanted to burn the book after I read it.

Who were the bad guys in Runaway Jury? The tobacco people or that "person X" in the jury? Seems to me like all the characters were bad.
  • Ada : i think yung tobacco ppl yung bad guys. logical naman di ba?
    i haven't read Grisham's The Chamber . i watched the movie instead...ang panget!!! well maybe it's because all of the books-turned-into-movies are bad. i have yet to get a copy of The Chamber. Hey don't burn your copy...just throw it here in my direction...careful not to hit me :)
  • I just bought Grisham's latest "The Testament". Will let you know if it's any good.
    kmunster: In The Chamber's case, both the book and the movie were awful. If you still want to read it, I can lend you the book. Don't say I didn't warn you, though.
  • IraIra PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    The tobacco people are the bad guys, and the woman (whatever her name is, ugh! I don't even want to open the book to check the name) and her accomplice, the good guys. But geez, I wanted the tobacco people to succeed so badly, kasi NAKAKAINIS talaga ang libro! To those who haven't read this book, if the bookstores ever decide to put this on sale and sell it at PhP1.00, SAVE YOUR MONEY!
  • All of Grisham's books sucks (except for The Firm) I've stopped reading his books and watching his movies... Yung Streetlawyer (the one with Danny De Vito - tama ba ?) had a good ending but was boring as hell...
  • Peps: I think "A Time To Kill" was Grisham's first novel... So I guess tama pa rin ako lahat ng novels niya pangit...
    I heard the Harry Potter books are overrated. Comments?
  • Hans Brinker or the Silver Skates is an awful book. by habit, i finish a book the day i start it but this book, i got rid of after about 3 years without finishing it!
  • uptowngirluptowngirl PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    wAgKaNgMaKuLiT, medyo dragging nga yung story nung The Notebook pero naappreciate ko naman yung theme. :)

Grisham uses the same formula again and again and again...nakakasawa na. Yung Runaway Jury di mo malaman kung san ka kakampi!

And I have to agree twisted yung values nung books ni V.C. Andrews.
  • I once read a book that I really could not hold up no matter what I did.

The title? "Everything You've Always Wanted to Know About Gravity" by an author who fell down on his face in shame. :D

NewYorker363

• Rice & Andrews are too creepy for me. Was once obsessed with them, but never again. Steele, I don't think I'll even go there. The movies are bad enough.

I like Grisham's work, though and actually rate "The Runway Jury" as one of my faves of his. I thought it had an interesting twist. As well as "The Chamber", though long & dragging, actually let me think about what I would do in his shoes, made me question my moral character.

Let's see... the worse books I must've read were the R.L Stein books. Can we say "pot-boiler"? They sucked so bad, so predictable at the end. Awful, really awful.

That's all I can think of right now.
  • wAgKaNgMaKuLiTwAgKaNgMaKuLiT PEx Veteran ⭐⭐

The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks...
    ZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZz snooze.gif
    Awful books?

Has anyone here read any work by that "much-awarded" writer SAUL BELLOW?

Gee, for instance, his Henderson, The Rain King, I had to re-read every para 3-4 times -- and still couldn't get anything!

Poster Boy of Awful Books/Writings, this fellow Bellow.

NewYorker363