Home PEx Hobbies Books and Literature
Are you a pageant expert? Join the PEx Miss Universe Quiz Night on May 16!

Why aRe NuRserY RHymes so DaMn TRaGiC?***

Have you noticed that nursery rhymes are so, so tragic and morbid?

1) Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water; Jack fell down and broke his crown and Jill came tumbling after.

2) Rock a-bye baby on the tree top, when the wind blows the cradle will rock; when the tree moves the cradle will fall, down will come baby, cradle and all.

3) Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall; Humpty Dumpty had a great fall; All the king's horses and all the king's men; tried to put Humpty together again.

Comments

• Hhhmm...I really dunno...but maybe they were wrote that way for us to learn??? or maybe the writers didnt really mean for it to be tragic, maybe they just wanted it to be humurous... *shrugs* Can't really think of a logical expklantion for it
  • clawed_outclawed_out PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    i think ... (personal opinion)... they are stories of great men...at their doomsday....... & they're more of a curse thing to me...so negative....

ako rin, i wonder why are they told like that...
  • Ice BurnIce Burn PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    it rhymes that's why...Besides, not just nursery rhymes, also fairy tales!

Some aren't just tragic, some are disgusting too, for instance...

1.) All around the city floor, the monkey's on the table, pick a stick and beat him up, pop goes the weasel (pop goes the weasel)

2.) Peace porridge pot, peace porridge cold, peace porridge in the pot 9 days old. Some like it hot, some like it cold, some like it in the pot 9 days old. (Peace Porridge pot)

3.) Gretel pushed the old witch in the oven and watched her burn (Hansel and Gretel)

4.) The little mermaid took the sharp knife and couldn't stab the prince so she jumoed to the sea and killed herself. (the little mermaid)

5.) Eliza gathered the stinging nettles amidst the witches digging up the newly buried dead and devouring it before her eyes (The Wild Swans)

6.) The little girl couldn't take off her red shoes and kept on dancing and dancing until she died. (The Red Shoes)

7.) The two older prince stabbed the youngest prince to death and left him for the wild animals in the forest and took the firebird, the golden horse and the beautiful princes with them. (The firebird)

8.) Tom took the 7 caps of his brothers and placed them on the ogre's daughters and took their golden crowns and placed them on his head and his brothers. In the morning, the Ogre unknowingly slit his daughters' throats because they were wearing caps. (Tom and his 7 brothers)
  • green gringreen grin PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    i read somewhere that these nursery rhymes told of great tragic events as they occured.
    f'rinstance: "ring around the rosies, a pocket full of posies, a-tishoo, a-tishoo, we all fall down," is about the bubonic plague. the infected was said to be covered with red ring-like rashes on the skin (i forget what "posies" are). "a-tishoo" was a sneezing or coughing sound. we all can guess what falling down meant.

y'all are right, they are disgusting.
  • wickwater: well, hindi ko alam kung bakit nga ba... siguro type lang nung writer/composer... ano sa palagay mo??? ah yeha!!!

• bad influence talaga sa mga kids...
  • I'm glad that we're clear on this :)
  • sagrado: nagbago na pala ang one liner mo: ah yeha na pala instaed of ah yeah...

I think there's a good reason behind this and its not just the author's preference...I believe there is...and I don't believe its you. I'd say: you'ld make a good nursery rhyme...don't you think so? :)
  • nursery rhymes may be tragic - but who cares? they are intended for kids ("nursery"),and i don't think they really understand the story behind those rhymes yet. all they care about is that they are pleasant to recite and listen to.
  • hmm... oo nga noh...

Georgy Porgy... kisses girls and makes them cry...
  • kinkywinky: hi :)

what do you mean who cares?! A child recites the nursery rhymes, memorizes it by heart and then what...in the end it's all a bunch of tragedy lang pala. Don't you realize how odd this is...a kid recites with glee and gloat about the death or injury of another person. Its like teaching a parrot to say something which it can do so easily...but in truth and in fact, said parrot doesn't even know the meaning of a single word.

[This message has been edited by wickwater (edited 01-25-2000).]
  • Yung sa ring-a-ring 'o rosies ata eh di ko sure kung bubonic plague yun. Basta ang sabi sa akin eh may reddish blisters na parang may pus (nana) tapos mabaho daw kaya kailangan ng 'pocket full 'o posies' or flowers para di maamoy. Deadly disease kaya 'we all fall down'... Meron pang London Bridge is falling down, Humpty dumpty, Three blind mice... ;P
  • Ice BurnIce Burn PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Revive, revive...
  • Originally posted by green grin
    i read somewhere that these nursery rhymes told of great tragic events as they occured.
    f'rinstance: "ring around the rosies, a pocket full of posies, a-tishoo, a-tishoo, we all fall down," is about the bubonic plague. the infected was said to be covered with red ring-like rashes on the skin (i forget what "posies" are). "a-tishoo" was a sneezing or coughing sound. we all can guess what falling down meant.

y'all are right, they are disgusting.

as i recall the "pocket full of posies" was pretty literal. they used to think having a pocket full of rose petals could help cure it. correct me if i'm wrong though. tsaka db "ashes ashes we all fall down"? alam ko tungkol Black Death un eh... bubonic plague ba? ata... can't remember...

urk. now that i think about it, it is pretty gross huh? ive nvr heard of "the red shoes" before.... but it sounds disgusting.
  • here's a depressing one..

Row, row, row your boat, gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily life is but a dream

i think it was composed during the height of America's great depression period.

i don't know, my spirit sinks whenever i hear that rhyme.

:rolleyes:
  • a lot of you are right about rhymes being tragic.

remember, these were created by adults to comfort/entertain their kids hundreds of years ago. they used real-life, grownup events and 'rhymed' them and made them sound cute and funny and all that. it didn't matter if the kids understood them.

yes, the ring around the rosies (?) rhyme, is about a plague (not too sure which one, though).

diba nga, the stories of the grimm brothers were actually, uh, grim. most of them are really, really dark and scary for kids. modern times just, uh, 'disneyfied' them to make them digestible.

that's why educators and writers now (at least in 1st world countries) are serious about creating new, more optimistic stuff for kids to memorize......

:batman:
  • six a song of sixpence a pocket full of rye ...four and twenty black birds baked in a pie ...when the pie was opened the birds began to sing ...wasn't that a dainty dish to set before the king
    so, i must presume that this angered the king and surely, the infuriated king must have done something to the cook ...a punishment perhaps?
    can't remember the rest of the lyrics but i think there's even a part in that song which goes something like, "and down came a black bird and pecked off her nose". OUCH!
    miscani014.gif
  • mac_bolan00mac_bolan00 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    during the plague:

"ring-a-ring of rosies
    a pocket full of posies
    ach-choo! ach-choo!
    we all fall down"

circular ring-like lessions on the skin
    small, scented nosegays to prevent infection
    convulsive sneezing
    followed by death

mary queen of scots beheaded for conspiring against elizabeth I:

"mary, mary, quite contrary..."
  • hmmm.....after a minute of dip thinking...i think ur rayt!!!
    some are rili disgusting!!!! kahit mga fairy tales din eh.....