FEATURE ADJUSTMENT: The Flag button is temporarily unavailable for members. We are doing certain system adjustments as of the moment to prevent some users from abusing this feature. For reports, please message the moderators or email us at [email protected]
PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at [email protected] Thank you!

Levothyroxine Questions...

Levothyroxine is a thyroid hormone replacement drug.
Questions:
What exactly does thyroid hormones do?
Will the drug improve/increase metabolism thus be beneficial for weight loss?
Will it have the same effects on metabolism as with 'fat-burners' such as xenadrine?

Comments

• PhooeyPhooey Member PExer
    I have to admit I considered this as a hypothetical weight loss drug also. However:

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/unithroid_wcp.htm
    WARNINGS

WARNING: Thyroid hormones, including UNITHROID (L-thyroxine), either alone or with other therapeutic agents, should not be used for the treatment of obesity. In euthyroid patients, doses within the range of daily hormonal requirements are ineffective for weight reduction. Larger doses may produce serious or even life threatening manifestations of toxicity, particularly when given in association with sympathomimetic amines such as those used for their anorectic effects.

Why are you asking, btw? How much weight are you planning to lose? Xenadrine is an extract from a chinese herbal plant. It contains ephedra which in a labratory can be used to synthesize shabu. So, as expected, the effects of taking these drugs are similar. Increased heart rate, increased blood pressure, nervousness, increased metabolic rate, insomnia, etc.
    This is dangerous especially if you have any underlying illnesses. A number of sudden athlete deaths have in fact been linked (though inconclusively) to the intake to these supplements in conjunction with strenous exercise. I would advice you not to drink these supplements at all. They are unregulated and you drink them at your own risk. The formulas, protein shakes, whey etc are more of nutritional support so dont have the side effects of fat burners, etc.

You set your own goals and decide when enough is enough. Are the benefits of a few more cuts worth the added health risk? Quite a number of people at the gym where I go to shoot up with steroids in the locker room. But should I? For me at least this is an easy decision. Its not like im a professional athlete looking for an extra (albeit illegal) edge anyway.
  • FenixFenix Member PExer
    thanks. :)
    I am already aware of the dangers of ephedra that is why I am looking for alternatives. hehe.
    I have a very slow metabolism and I gain weight easily when I dont exercise, and when I do, results take forever. A friend told me about this and said it can boost metabolism.
    Its just frustrating that when it is in your genes to have slow metabolism you can't do anything about it. :(

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file