Home PEx Hobbies Books and Literature
Speak your mind, but mind what you post. Let's not spread disinformation and/or misinformation.

Pinoy English

have u ever wondered why criminals made to face extra-judicial "justice" r said to have been "salvaged" when the word actually means saved? ... but here in the 'pinas, it is a bastardized version of "beyond salvage"

and what is "going straight" as in "ayoko nang mambabae p're, going straight na ako" ... u don't hear of americans "going straight", do u? they more or less "straighten out" themselves, right?

what other pseudo-english terms r purely pinoy? can u think of any?

and how do u translate the ff into proper english? (a) "pang-ilang anak ka ba?"; and (b) "ewan ko sa kanya/iyo/akin."

Comments

• a) what's you're ordinal rank in relation to ur siblings according to date of birth (hehehehe...ang haba) :) and labo no
    b) its up to him/you/me (well i guess there is no contextual counterpart to these phrases)

how abt:
    1. walang hiya
    2. utang na loob
    3. pakikisama
  • jack: *lol* what is ur ordinal rank ... labo!
    nice try though :D

lemme see:

1) shameless
    2) debt of gratitude
    3) drinking spree? bwahahaha (as in, eh ma, kailangan ng pakikisama eh!)

imagine breaking this ordinance: "no parking on BOTH sides"
  • walangdilawalangdila PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    anong english ng 'sayang?' :bleh:
  • walangdila: too bad (??) =)
  • what a waste?
  • kahumbukahumbu PEx Rookie ⭐
    'Texting' and 'Texted' are good examples of pinoy english. :D
  • what is "going straight"

You were wondering why Americans dont use the words above......
    The English do...... and due to popular belief,that where the language belongs.
    Americans spell "colour" as color!!!!Which spelling is correct? The English way or how the Yanks spell it?
    Don`t worry Pinoy........This time you got it right!!

• SilverlokkSilverlokk PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    If I recally rightly, the mis-use of the word 'salvage' started around the mid-80s. The idea was that the police salvaged a corpse dumped into a stream, for instance, in the same sense that you salvage a sunken vessel. Thanks to sloppy news editing -- due more likely to tight deadlines and the long hours that editors put in than to lack of competence (although that's also a possibility <g>) -- salvaging then came to mean summary execution, which was the cause of salvaging, in the correct sense of the word.

As to other "Pinoy English" words try these:

1) tuition fees -- tuition is already a fee
    2) upliftment -- no such word)
    3) explicitate -- no such word. Fortunately, it seems to have been most popular in the mid- to late-80s, and I haven't heard it since.

Those are words that I've seen in newspaper columns, by people whose English is otherwise good.

Mabuhay.
  • ...for a while

I know it means "sandali lang", but so does "just a minute", or "one moment, please."
  • Salvage as used in Pinoy English is not the same word as the English salvage which means "to save". It comes from the Spanish word "salvaje" which means "savage". It's been assimilated into the Tagalog and Visayan languages as "salbahe".

It's a noun in Spanish, Tagalog ang Cebuano ("mga salbahes kayo!"), but many writers have taken advantage of the lax rules of the English language, which allow almost any word to be used as a verb (a few decades ago, nobody would have used "impact" or "text" as verbs.) And so to salvage someone really means to savage him...the confusion between the Spanish "salvaje" and the English "salvage" also points out how many of us have forgotten our Spanish heritage...
  • Originally posted by lupuS
    ...for a while

I know it means "sandali lang", but so does "just a minute", or "one moment, please."

a friend told me that you shouldn't use the phrase 'for a while' when answering the phone because it means you'll leave the person waiting for a long time. don't we say, 'it's been a while...'? so 'for a while' doesn't really translate into 'sandali lang' but is actually its opposite! trivia for yah.. :D
  • o, heto ang isang mahirap..

how do you say "horizon" in tagalog?
  • horizon = "kalawakan" (depends on what "kalawakan" you have in mind) :lol:
  • Originally posted by chang
    o, heto ang isang mahirap..

how do you say "horizon" in tagalog?

na-intriga ako. according to my talatinigan,
    horizon is equivalent to "abot-tanaw" or "guhit-tagpuan". (sounds malabo, no?)

iba pang pinoy english na alam ko (these are used in actual conversations):

TRAFFIC (na ibig sabihin, "heavy traffic" or "traffic jam". as in "Late na naman si Procopio. Na-traffic siguro.")

HIGH BLOOD (mga mainitin ang ulo)

WHITE LEGHORN (mga puting foreigner)

NUMBER TWO (the other man/woman; in erap's case, this number could go on...)

FIVE SIX (alam ito ng mga mahilig umutang)

will post more kapag may naalala pa 'ko
  • hehehe... labo nga.

accdg. to a friend, horizon is 'kaligiran'.
    Just remembered another word that's not in the dictionary: 'actuation'.

Mabuhay
  • In HK, it is referred to as toilet...
    My cousins from the States call it the bathroom, the ladies room, etc...
    I've heard that in Europe, they say water closet...

I have a friend who grew up in Thailand and when he first came here, it took him a week to figure out what the comfort room is (he was too shy to ask)... :)

btw,
    what's english for pasikutsikot and nagkabuholbuhol????
  • let me try...

pasikotsikot--> I know in a certain context it could be translated through the term "going around the bush"/"going in circles."

nagkabuholbuhol--> "entangled?"

• Originally posted by l'ange
    let me try...

pasikotsikot--> I know in a certain context it could be translated through the term "going around the bush"/"going in circles."

nagkabuholbuhol--> "entangled?"

Thank you... :)
    pwede ko bang gamitin yung pasikotsikot meaning 'going around the bush/going in circles' in this context?
    "Samahan mo sya at hindi nya alam ang pasikotsikot dito sa Maynila."
    no?? :confused:
    Originally posted by yndisfagur

pwede ko bang gamitin yung pasikotsikot meaning 'going around the bush/going in circles' in this context?
    "Samahan mo sya at hindi nya alam ang pasikotsikot dito sa Maynila."
    no?? :confused:
    That's something else. It's more like "He doesn't know his way around Manila."

Mabuhay.