Home PEx Sports NBA

Portland, Miami, Orlando and Lakers are the teams to beat next season!

A sealed deal between Miami, Cleveland and Portland! Kemp to Portland, Brian Grant to Miami, wheww! and 3 players to cleveland!
Maimi is a very strong team next season! Eddie Jones, Alonzo Mourning, Tim Hardaway adn Brian Grant? Hill and McGrady to Orlando! And ofcourse, Lakers! Their still the team to beat coz their the defending champions!

Comments

• bastebaste PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    ... portland.. definitely stronger.. lakers.. still strong though still lacking in a PF.... MIAMI.. VERY much stronger... orlando yes definitely strongers... but a team to beat?? i don't think so... just another piston or toronto type of team...
  • Originally posted by baste:
    orlando yes definitely strongers... but a team to beat?? i don't think so... just another piston or toronto type of team...

That's absolutely right. Just because Hill and McGrady are on the same team doesn't make this a team to beat. They'll be lucky to get to the second round of the playoffs. New York, San Antonio, and even Utah are better teams than Orlando.
  • RuckuSRuckuS Member PEx Icon 🎖️🎖️🎖️
    On paper these teams are definitely the teams to beat. However, Orlando and Miami would still have to prove if they can be cohesive enough to exploit their team's new found strengths. And Im sure New York would still be looking for ways and means to strengthen its line-up. No way would they allow Miami to step all over them! BTW, I heard Tim Hardaway wants out of the Heat.
  • yeah, Miami is looking great for '01...with Jones and BGrant...dayum...Portland grabe...binibili yata nila yung c'ship...the team to beat is still the Lakers...as long as they have Shaq and KB...

on the way up: Nets, Magic & Warriors (i hope)

NETS2001!
  • I agree with all the teams mentioned but one and that is Orlando. Given that they indeed improved a lot, they still lack a few more bodies to make this a championship caliber team.

Portland will have major jelling problems with their All Star line-up.

Miami also would have some jelling to do but the problem is their bench.

Lakers still doesn't have a PF and they still have Rice to contend with. As long as Rider contributes rather than be a distraction, they would still have the best mixture of Stars and Role players.

In my opinion, the wildcard here would be Indiana and San Antonio. Indiana if their reputation of bringing young stars up to speed (Croshere, Rose) keep up, so I'm expecting Bender, Foster and Harrington to have more playing time with a lesser role for Smits and Davis departing. San Antonio will be a major force as long as they stay healthy.
  • lakas ng miami ...

pero, lakers pa rin!
  • neth_rowneth_row PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Originally posted by mr. pink:
    Portland grabe...binibili yata nila yung c'ship...

completely unfair statement....all of portland's acquisitions so far have been approved by the NBA execs, no one is complaining, except for whining laker fans who are wary to lose to the blazers this time around....

• nah PHOENIX SUNS all tha way! KIDD & PENNY!
  • batang uliranbatang uliran PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    It's true I'm frustrated but the Blazers are definitely a financial powerhouse. The way their team is made up, their payroll will be DOUBLE that of the Lakers! The inability of the Lakers to get a good PF by now is Jerry Buss' refusal to loosen the purse strings! The Blazers are the only team with more than 3 players on their team making $10M or more per year and they have 5 - Kemp (about $12M and will be making over $20M per year for the last 2 years of his deal!!), Pippen (about $15M per year), Sabonis, Stoudamire and Wallace. On top of that people like Steve Smith make about 7 to 8 million per year. The Lakers by contrast have only 2 players making more than 10 mil per year - Shaq and Kobe. The total Blazer payroll is over $80 million while it is around $50M for the Lakers. I realize this is the reality and while the Blazers are definitely better on paper this year, I am still hopeful the Lakers will get a decent PF and win next year despite the financial handicap.
  • bastebaste PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Originally posted by mr. pink:
    yeah, Miami is looking great for '01...with Jones and BGrant...dayum...Portland grabe...binibili yata nila yung c'ship...the team to beat is still the Lakers...as long as they have Shaq and KB...

on the way up: Nets, Magic & Warriors (i hope)

NETS2001!

the warrior will become better in the future... but .. with how the west is packed with talent... it will be a looong time before they enter the playoffs
  • Originally posted by neth_row:
    completely unfair statement....all of portland's acquisitions so far have been approved by the NBA execs, no one is complaining, except for whining laker fans who are wary to lose to the blazers this time around....

:rolleyes: Whatever. Seems the bitterness of losing to the Lakers is still gnawing at some people here.
  • aticusaticus PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    whiny laker fans? are you kidding me?

It wasn't the Lakers who choked away a championship with 12 minutes to go last season. If adding Shawn Kemp to the mix makes Portland believe that they now have the emotional maturity and stability to beat LA... hahaha.

Phil Jackson has been here before. Remember the Bulls? Everyone used to say it was only MJ and Pip who did anything, and that they were a two-hit wonder. But a 6-time championship wonder at that. Why?

Well, the Lakers had Magic against MJ the first time, but MJ won. The Blazers had the best record, but MJ won. The Suns were more talented and had the best record, but MJ won. The Sonics had Kemp (remember when?) and Payton and Schrempf and Hawkins... and MJ won. The Jazz had Stockton and Malone and Hornacek, plus homecourt advantage, and MJ won.

Sense a trend here?

Talent isn't enough to win in the NBA. Defense and a go-to guy you can depend on in the clutch does. That's why the Celtics and Lakers were so successful. Not because of raw talent alone, but because Bird could hit fadeaway shots with the left hand to win games and Magic had baby sky hooks and Kareem had a shot NOBODY could block.

The Lakers have Shaq. No other person in the NBA is as dominant, and at the most dominating position too. Count how many people can stop him one on one. Short count, huh? =) Yup, no one.

Kobe is a force unto himself. Do you realize that he averaged 22 points per game while being the SECOND option behind the leading scorer in the league? AND he was All-Defense first team??? Can you imagine how he would have fared in Toronto, instead of Carter? I guarantee you one thing, Kobe won't be passing up any game winning shots in favor of Dee Brown in the playoffs...

Kobe can league the lead in scoring NOW. The fact that both these players are the most dominant players in the league at their position, plus the Lakers were in the top 5 in rebounding, team defense, 3pt defense, defensive FG pct and so on, only goes to show that they will be the team to beat again this year. Don't forget the coach. He could help them win too. Or does any Blazer fan out there still think that Mike Dunleavy is a great coach after the most monumental collapse in NBA playoff history?

• Originally posted by baste:
    the warrior will become better in the future... but .. with how the west is packed with talent... it will be a looong time before they enter the playoffs
    Wow, my Warriors are finally getting some love here at PEx.. :D The Warriors definitely improved themselves with a much needed facelift. Eventhough I still don't expect them to win a championship anytime soon, it's good to see that they're actually building for the future. Hiring a respectable coach, signing a low post enforcer in Fortson, unloading underachievers with big contracts in Marshall and Caffey, and picking up perimeter shooters in Sura and Del Negro. I like what they've done, but I have a feeling that they're not finished yet. We still have the veteran point guard Mookie Blaylock and Indiana's first round pick to waive around as trade bait. I suspect that a contender will be knocking at our door between now and the trading deadline for the services of this veteran guard. But regardless of what happens til then, I seriously think that we've got enough to battle for atleast the eight spot in the west.. especially with Sacramento losing some key players in Corliss Williamson and Tony Delk, and the Timberwolves lack of offseason activity/acquisition (which basically means that KG needs to carry the whole team all by himself again this year). Expect the Warriors to make some noise this season.

*sigh* If only the Warriors were in the East.
  • In Rasheed Wallace, the Blazers had an All-Star power forward. Now they have three. On Thursday, one day after acquiring Shawn Kemp, the Blazers received Dale Davis from Indiana for Jermaine O'Neal and Joe Kleine.
    Portland will really dominate the 2000-2001 season! Not even the presence of Isiah Rider will put the Blazers on the edge! this is like a all-star line-up!
  • But the Trail Blazers will still have a hard time against the Lakers! Their the defending champions!
  • Shame on you guys for leaving out The Spurs as a top contender. A complete Spurs roster would have scared the hell out of the Lakers last season. As for Miami (Mourning, Eddie Jones, Brian Grant, Mason, Hardaway), they're the strongest team on the East.

Did any of you guys saw the USA vs Canada game last night? Vince Carter has proven that his inside game is as good as his outside game. This guy is starting to become a 3-point threat.

Just my 2 cents.
  • I can only say one thing.

Go Blazers!

silly.gif
  • aticusaticus PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Hmmm... Portland got Dale Davis. Let's see, they have Wallace, Kemp and Davis ALL playing power forward. Is it just me or are there even going to be fewer minutes for people who fancy themselves as All-stars? I'd love to see Shawn Kemp live down being a second fiddle to Rasheed Wallace.

Part of the strength of any team doesn't come from raw talent, but rather from having well-defined roles. The reason Portland collapsed last time wasn't a lack of players of caliber, but rather a lack of a well-defined "go to" guy that the entire team respected and acknowledged. I'd love to see who tries to take the last shot in a team with Pippen, Wallace, Kemp, Smith, Davis and Sabonis. Not to mention that upstart Wells. Would be interesting who took the shot, and who COMPLAINED about it.

At least everyone in LA knows who takes the last shot, and it isn't Shaq.

But I will give props to San Antonio (which I think is more dangerous than Portland), and don't overlook Sacramento and even the Miami Heat. Looks to be a great season.
  • Originally posted by dawg 4 life:
    nah PHOENIX SUNS all tha way! KIDD & PENNY!

ditto!

sama mo na rin si robinson pre!

pheonix in `01 baby

pede na rn ang lakers at portland

reddevil.gif
  • LA is definitely the team to beat, and Felon doesn't mean the Clippers here (although they are looking sweeter by the minute... uni's still look lame though). With Shaq playing unreal basketball, Kobe growing into his superstar mold and now with the additional firepower of JR "I will behave" Rider, the road to the title means going through the Lakers.

I will admit to shifting allegiances to Portland, however, because of the addition of Dale Davis (who, along with Vince Carter and Kenyon Martin, make up Felon's Favorite Players). While they will make a Portland - LA series exciting and more challenging with the Blazer's abundance of bodies to throw at Shaq, something tells me that the Purple and Gold will pull out in the end. Which is fine by me, really.

Miami has definitely gotten stronger. If PJ Brown and Tim Hardaway decide to stay, the Heat lineup is then an excellent mix of offense and defense, something Pat Riley should like. And while Orlando sports an impressive lineup of Hill, McGrady and Armstrong, Miami looks to be stronger.

While not really any serious threat to the title (YET), keep an eye out on Toronto and New Jersey, as I'm sure all of you will.