Home PEx Hobbies Books and Literature

H.P. Lovecraft

Herr_StarrHerr_Starr PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
Any readers of H.P. Lovecraft here?

Comments

• he's made quite an impression on a lot of writers (king, gaiman, etc.), which is why i got curious about him. i'd like to get my hands on one of his Dream Cycle stories (the cthulhu thing is not to my taste).

a web search some time ago led to the intruiging "voynich manuscript," as well as the disturbing "book of law" by aleister crowley. if you like strange things, you should check them out...
  • i've read just two-the tomb and the rats in the wall. deliciously creepy stuff
  • Herr_StarrHerr_Starr PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Aleister Crowley, he should have a thread all to himself, living on the shores of Loch Ness, honeymooning in the center of a Mayan Pyramid. Allegations of cannibalism after a sojourn in the Himalayas...

You should read as much of Lovecraft's work as you can, even the Cthulu Mythos, just dont read any mythos stories by any writer not named Lovecraft. It's not really about demonic elder gods, the true horror is that Lovecraft was one of the first writers to speak of Man's insignificance in the Universe.

Please read 'Dreams in the Witch House' for a nice intro to the Mythos. It's short and simple to read despite its combination of witchcraft and N-Dimensional Geometry.

Also on the shortlist:

At the Mountains of Madness - the only Novel of the Mythos
    The Call of Cthulu - the one that started it all
    The Shadow over Innsmouth - one of the greates horror stories ever

For the dream cycle:

The Statement of Randolph Carter - he's the main protagonist of the Dream Cycle
    The Doom that came to Sarnath - long, sad and more challenging than his usual stuff
  • I'm a so-so fan. I have a couple of his anthologies, but of course I've come to realize that I can't read several short stories straight because the writing style can get formulaic and derivative.

But a great writer for his time, and influenced a lot of writers, both past and present.
  • the Philippines was mentioned near the beginning of Call of Cthulu...

forgot all about that part until I re-read it last night :D
  • st.angerst.anger PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    i know this author thanks to Metallica. but do they sell his books in the local bookstores?
  • Not to my knowledge...

I got me here some textfiles, though. ;)
  • Aeon books in Katipunan, Fully Booked in Greenhills, Gateway Mall and Rockwell, and A Different Bookstore/Ink & Stone in Glorietta, Podium, Eastwood, and Cubao.
  • st.angerst.anger PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    massive bump! sorry :D

2 years after reading this thread, I just finished my first Lovecraft story - The Shadow Over Innsmouth.

freakishly interesting read. those with a taste for the weird and macabre will really love this. have to read more.. :evil:
  • just rekindling this thread, if there are afficionados around?
  • I do! I love H.P. Lovecraft! The Case of Charles Dexter Ward is my absolute favorite. I carry that book with me wherever I go. Hell, I can carry that book with me if i get stranded somewhere and be perfectly happy reading it over and over and over again :D
    Lovecraft readers will be happy to know that his complete catalog is now available for free online. You can try various sources, here's one, dagonbytes.
  • I agree. Lovecraft's are all interesting reads.

If you're interested, I can give you Lovecraft's Complete Works - all 63 of them - for only P500.00. =)
  • @ Herr Starr

thanks for the link

@sandwoman

is "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward" the only story you've enjoyed or are there others?

"The Dunwhich Horror" and "The Dreams in the Witch House" are some of my favorites.

Has anybody also enjoyed HPL's other contemporaries like August Derleth, T.E.D Kline, Robert Bloch? lots of entertaining stories of the Cthulhu Mythos from them.
    @ Herr Starr

thanks for the link

@sandwoman

is "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward" the only story you've enjoyed or are there others?

"The Dunwhich Horror" and "The Dreams in the Witch House" are some of my favorites.

Has anybody also enjoyed HPL's other contemporaries like August Derleth, T.E.D Kline, Robert Bloch? lots of entertaining stories of the Cthulhu Mythos from them.

You're welcome.

I've read a lot of Lovecraft's contemporaries, as well as influences such as Machen and Dunsany. Kline wrote one of my favorite stories of the extended mythos, Black Man with a Horn. Among more recent authors, Gene Wolfe has written a few Mythos stories, his Lord of the Land is superb and disturbing. Thomas Ligotti is another great writer in the extended Mythos, The Sect of the Idiot and The Last Feast of Harlequin are well worth it. I'm not a particular fan of Derleth as a writer in the Mythos, he imposed a certain order into the stories that Lovecraft never intended.

I would recommend a book that influenced Lovecraft deeply, The House on the Borderland by Robert Hope Hodgeson. Another work which influenced Lovecraft was The King in Yellow by Robert Chambers. Both are available on Project Gutenberg.
  • I've come across Ligotti only once and it was waaay back when i was still in college, cant even remember the story.

I dont mean to correct you but isnt it William Hope Hodgson? I have a collection of his short stories on Thomas Carnacki, ghost hunter. Quite good! (I also have an interest in some of the excellent ghost story writers like M.R. James)

I was also able to acquire a copy of Chambers The King in Yellow as well.

I'd recommend also Arthur Machen's The great god Pan, I recall it influenced HPL's The Dunwich Horror.
    I've come across Ligotti only once and it was waaay back when i was still in college, cant even remember the story.

I dont mean to correct you but isnt it William Hope Hodgson? I have a collection of his short stories on Thomas Carnacki, ghost hunter. Quite good! (I also have an interest in some of the excellent ghost story writers like M.R. James)

I was also able to acquire a copy of Chambers The King in Yellow as well.

I'd recommend also Arthur Machen's The great god Pan, I recall it influenced HPL's The Dunwich Horror.

My bad, it's William Hope Hodgson.

Dreams in the Witch House was one of my favorites as well. What are your other favorite stories?
  • @ John Strange

I liked the Dunwich Horror too! ;) can't say the same for Dreams in the Witch House though. It's good, really good. But it just didn't give me the familiar 'lovecraftian' skin crawling sensation that I seek.

I also enjoyed At the Mountains of Madness and the Horror at Red Hook. What I really liked about Love Craft is after you read his books, It makes you go, " how the surf did he came up with that concept?" and in my case, after reading and rereading his works I'd be like, "What the hell what was that? :eek: I love the guy. his awesome imagination is such an inspiration!
  • ^^ Edited because I can't spell. Grrr.
  • @ Herr Starr

I also enjoyed Escape from Innsmouth (like sandwoman mentioned, theres that feeling that makes your skin crawl because you know that there's something realy awfully wrong and its just beyond you at the moment) --- this creeped me out more than say some zombie stories.

and of course there's The Call of Cthulhu.

@ Sandwoman

yup! i get what you mean by his stories and the sense of awfull, sickening terror. its not too graphic that it leaves you desensitized and yet not meager to leave you wanting.

do you guys follow also any of HPL's contemporaries like Robert Bloch or Ramsey Campbell?