Home PEx Lifestyle Travel and Leisure
Reminder: You never know what someone is going through, so be kind.

Banaue?

We're thinking about getting one of those tour packages. Between Baguio and Banawe, which one of these have a lot of sites to see? Is Banawe as cold as Baguio? Do any of these have caves you can tour?

Comments

• How do i get to banaue? how long does it take from Metro Manila? also...around how much are the different lodging areas there?
  • purpleheadd07purpleheadd07 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    may autobus near along espana, bus leaves at around 10pm and gets there at 6 or 7 am. madaming pension houses near the market halos overlooking sa rice terraces. price ranges from 300-500. masyado malamig dun so be prepared. ;)

and yeah, if you wanna buy wood carvings dun ka na bili mas mura.
  • what are pension houses?
    yung 300-500. lodging yun po?
  • Information posted here will benefit me as well for I want to head up to Banaue someday. The rice terraces are worth seeing.
  • purpleheadd07purpleheadd07 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    pension houses are mini or economy hotels. the 300-500 price range are the rooms which are good for two. basic amenities lang, a bed and restroom. don't bother looking for aircons as the weather their is cool enough already. if you want a classier, more comfy and expensive place go to banaue hotel. sensya don't have the contact nos. though i'm sure you could always have it googled. ;)
  • what can you do in Banaue? is this near Hudred Islands?
  • how do i get to banaue by car?>
  • I can't remember how to get to Banaue as it has been quite a few years, and I was with my grandfather and he knew the way. It's about a 9-10 hour drive from Metro Manila.
  • florenofloreno PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    heart4us wrote:
    how do i get to banaue by car?>

I suggest your car should be Very Very well Tuned up....Or else...bangin ang kahaharapan nyo... :eek:

....maraming matarik points papunta dun.....pero despite all....the view of the Rice Terraces in the morning will give you goosebumps

:)
  • is it really that dangerous to use a car?
  • and also, can anyone give any details directions coming from metro manila? it would be greatly appreciated...thanksss
    Not really....I could imagine for a Car would be at least an SUV type....
  • what province is banaue in? can anyone give an exact thing on how to get there?
  • hmm.......we had our trip there way back 2nd year college....We left Vito Cruz at 6am and we got there 4pm.... so that's 10 hours....I don't know about the other posts above, but that's what i remember. We had two stop over though.....but, yeah pretty far. Well, I suggest you just take the bus, much easier and much cheaper. You don't have to drive, you don't have to worry about the gas (w/c is...wow...baka mamulubi ka, esp if you're goin to use an SUV), and you're not gonna worry about the direction/way goin there...diba. And....I THINK, there's only one major hotel there which is the Banaue Hotel and Youth Hostel....you can check it out here Banaue Hotel and Youth Hostel , I don't know and not sure if there's more...maybe some Inn's or some vacation houses you can rent. But there are rooms in that hotel na ang ganda ng view!!! the one that we had, has a great view of the rice terraces....ganda esp in the morning!!!! :) The food's so-so....ok lang. The rooms are pretty nice but mejo scary....lol...lalo na dun sa mejo dulong rooms...hehehe. Cheap pasalubongs, but beware of some locals na mahal magbenta kase alam nilang turista ka. And when you ask them para pa-picture kasama sila(yung mga aeta/ita...whatever...lol), naniningil din yung iba.....lol. And you know what's another thing you can buy there very cheap....mary jane...:glee: yeah, we were kind of immature then...so y'know....lahat pasaway....Just saying, NOT suggesting it, ok?! :D So....that's it....miss my college days when i remember all the trips we had :(
    banaue is Benguet province...
    like la trinidad....like Baguio....etc.

Its not practical to go there sa car sa mahal ng Gasolina ngayon...
    take the bus nalang...all you have to wory is your scheduling....

its nice to arrive in banaue in the morning especially sa viewpoint locations
  • _LoRrAiN3_ wrote:
    hmm.......we had our trip there way back 2nd year college....We left Vito Cruz at 6am and we got there 4pm.... so that's 10 hours....I don't know about the other posts above, but that's what i remember. We had two stop over though.....but, yeah pretty far. Well, I suggest you just take the bus, much easier and much cheaper. You don't have to drive, you don't have to worry about the gas (w/c is...wow...baka mamulubi ka, esp if you're goin to use an SUV), and you're not gonna worry about the direction/way goin there...diba. And....I THINK, there's only one major hotel there which is the Banaue Hotel and Youth Hostel....you can check it out here Banaue Hotel and Youth Hostel , I don't know and not sure if there's more...maybe some Inn's or some vacation houses you can rent. But there are rooms in that hotel na ang ganda ng view!!! the one that we had, has a great view of the rice terraces....ganda esp in the morning!!!! :) The food's so-so....ok lang. The rooms are pretty nice but mejo scary....lol...lalo na dun sa mejo dulong rooms...hehehe. Cheap pasalubongs, but beware of some locals na mahal magbenta kase alam nilang turista ka. And when you ask them para pa-picture kasama sila(yung mga aeta/ita...whatever...lol), naniningil din yung iba.....lol. And you know what's another thing you can buy there very cheap....mary jane...:glee: yeah, we were kind of immature then...so y'know....lahat pasaway....Just saying, NOT suggesting it, ok?! :D So....that's it....miss my college days when i remember all the trips we had :(

how cool is that! getting high on high places! hehe :)
  • Banaue is in Ifugao, not in Benguet...

It is safe to take a car, if you will only go as far as banaue town... for the outlying towns, you will have to take an SUV or a sturdy AUV.

Banaue is about 9 hours from Manila, via the eastern road, through bulacan, nueva ecija, nueva vizcaya. once you get to solano, nueva vizcaya, take the main road left from the highway going to Lagawe, on to Banaue. You can ask around at solano for directions.

The road isn't that steep. it's just like going up to Baguio.

i suggest you also take the trip to Batad. well worth it... if you're with a group, park your car at banaue town, and rent a jeep to the batad/bangaan junction, all the way to the "saddle". then trek down to batad. it's an ampitheatre-shaped valley surrounded by beautiful terraces. no electricity there... and the inns are only P50 per person per night.

happy trails....
  • one point of interest along the way... stop over at the Japanese Memorial Monument at the very top of Dalton Pass... it's a quaint little park with a great view.

note the sudden climate change... within about 30 minutes from climbing up from the valley, Dalton pass' climate is just like baguio's - foggy and cool... so cool that you see people there wearing bonnets and jackets... and you might need one too should u decide to stop over for even a few minutes...

fascinating indeed...
  • killer ka ba ng Mugu? Ano ang Mugu? Ba't mo sya kini kill? Do I need to bring warm and thick clothes to Banawe? Is it really friggin cold outta there? Is it true that men folks walk around town in G-strings? have u tried it? he he he
  • Yes, "it's friggin cold" in Banaue, especially during the "-ber months," and January and February, primarily because it's a mountain village in the Cordillera highlands. Although you need to bring protective clothing for the cold climate, the temperature does not drop below zero! It's just like Baguio or just a notch below the Pines City's centigrade scale.

Unforunately, "men folks" no longer walk around in G-strings. Even in remote mountain villages, which are inaccessible to land vehicles, our tribal brethren are no longer garbed in their traditional clothes. Now donning "contemporary couture," they are usually clad in denim and cotton shirts. It is a sad fact that for most Filipinos, tribal clothing is already a thing of the past, preserved only in photographs. But Baguio resident-artist Kidlat Tahimik occassionaly dons the G-string and even wrote an article saying, in essence, "I'm proud of my pwet!" I wanted to puchase one in Sagada but was quite pricey at P2,000.00. And this was in the early 90s.

What you are most likely to see are "men folks" not in G-strings but in Wild West cowboy costumes, complete with cowboy hats, boots, denim, and plaid *****. They have been given the monicker Benguet cowboys. This is, of course, another Western influence. In fact, the intrusion and influx of ideas and influences is now being perpetrated by the pervasive presence of satellite television. Photographer Eduardo Masfere, famous for his photographs of Sagada "men folk" in traditional tribal wear, laments that while his box camera tried to preserve the indigenous culture, the the boob tube effectively bought in foreign culture and became a catalyst for change, which is not entirely positive.

Also, you may will no longer find traditional huts in Banaue, except in neighboring villages such as Batad and Banga-an. While you may still see the ethnic influences in the architectural elements and forms, most of the structures in Banaue are no longer made in wood and stone, but with cement and galvanized iron. After all, Banaue is the most accessible and most commercialized terrace village in the Cordillera region.

If you want to see and experience sleeping in an authentic Ifugao or Kalinga hut, visit the Tam-awan Village in Baguio. But you won't see the terraces there! Declared as a world heritage site by UNESCO, the Banaue Rice Terraces is still worth the trip, although the Batad and Banga-an terraces are in better condition. You will still experience the local culture (or a shadow of it) when you go to Banaue. If you decide to go to Banaue, drop by Batad, which is only a couple of hours by public transport (jeepney or tricycle) and another couple of hours of trekking time. Banaue beckons...