Speed Bump Woes — PinoyExchange

Speed Bump Woes

Honeybahts
Honeybahts Rastafarian Recidivist
One of the things that really ticks me off is the proliferation of
unauthorized and poorly constructed speed bumps (what we locals
refer to as *humps*).

These abominations are commonly found in Class B (and below)
villages and subdivisions in metro manila.

Case in point na lang yung village namin somewhere in south metro.
On every street you can see at least three or more humps na sobrang
narrow and steep that matatagtag talaga car mo when you cross it kahit
sobra bagal mo na. It seems some houses take it upon themselves to
erect their own humps in front of their house. Their rationale, I guess,
being that they want their children to be safe while playing in the
streets kasi mapipilitan mag slowdown yung mga cars.

There are parks and playgrounds in every village specifically for
the purpose where children can play. Speed bumps are erected for
the sole purpose of preventing collissions/accidents between motor
vehicles at intersections. They should be constructed only by the
village association and according to proper specs.

Can you imagine the amount of fuel that can be saved if all illegal
humps were removed, not to mention the lessening of pollution (kasi
more emmissions if cars have to slow down and accelerate again every
50 meters or so).

Hay naku, talagang onli in da pilipins...

Comments

• Honeybahts
    Dagdag ko lang...theres this house sa next street ng village namin, he
    didnt even have the decency to erect a speed bump made of concrete.
    Ang ginamit ba naman eh strips of truck tire rubber na pinagkabitkabit
    with sampayan wires then he nailed the damned contraption to the
    pavement with large concrete nails. Ang sama nito medyo nakausli pa
    yung mga ulo ng pako and some of the wire ends were protruding pa!

Hindi pa ma contento na halos tumigil na sa tapat nila yung mga
    dumadaan na mga kotse, ang gusto yata ma-flat pa. Ogags talaga!!!
  • slamm
    slamm runnin on empty
    I know how that feels... its a stupid waste of fuel having a road bump every 20-50 meters.

The village associations are the ones responsible for authorizing speed bumps. One person cannot just put up a hump in front of his house if he wanted to as the road is a "public domain" of the village.
  • ach_soo
    ach_soo Banned by Admin
    They're there for good reason. Too many stupid drivers speeding about even in residential areas.

What you're agry about is the trouble of having to slow down, let the car coast over the hump, and then go to first gear. All idiots want to stay at fourth. For me, I like full stops and slow coasts over humps. Maybe it's just me.
  • shun_sakurai
    shun_sakurai when in doubt, FLAT OUT!
    ach_soo wrote:
    They're there for good reason. Too many stupid drivers speeding about even in residential areas.

What you're agry about is the trouble of having to slow down, let the car coast over the hump, and then go to first gear. All idiots want to stay at fourth. For me, I like full stops and slow coasts over humps. Maybe it's just me.
    They're also a great way to damage/destroy your suspension and undertray. This will inevitably happen even if you drive over them slowly.

The Inquirer had an article about this a year ago...the Brits call humps "sleeping policemen"
  • GreatBop
    GreatBop Beerhand Gets Big Pots
    "They're there for good reason. Too many stupid drivers speeding about even in residential areas.

What you're agry about is the trouble of having to slow down, let the car coast over the hump, and then go to first gear. All idiots want to stay at fourth. For me, I like full stops and slow coasts over humps. Maybe it's just me"

i don't mind speed bumps personally. AS LONG AS THEY"RE PROPERLY DONE.

not a speed bump every 2 seconds worth of driving.

and yung speed bump's like the ones they have in n. america.
  • shun_sakurai
    I'd rather have the close-knit rumble strips like those along McKinley Rd. They get noisier the faster you run over them, but they're non-intrusive. An altogether gentler way of reminding you that you're in a speed-limited area.
  • Honeybahts
    BTW, whats the right way to negotiate a speed bump? As for me, I
    dont approach it squarely/head-on. I cross it medyo diagonally so
    that hindi masyadong ma jar/tagtag yung car especially if the hump is narrow and high.
  • GreatBop
    just apply breaks. pero leave a little bit of momentum for the car. once you feel yung front tyres have reached the apex ng bump, break hard and release slowly.

tapos leave another bit of momentum for the rear uli. and do the same thing.

if diagonally, gagawin mo lang yun if lowered yung car mo.
  • mac_bolan00
    mac_bolan00 Banned by Admin
    if you guys consider the following, you'll understand why there are speed bumps for every 30 feet in subdivs. first, there is no residential area in metro manila whose innermost point is more than 10 minutes away from a major highway. the biggest i know is the project 4-cubao area wherein you enter from aurora, run along kalantiao, until you hit 20th avenue. i see no reason why you should try to cut that by only a few minutes by cruising at fourth. second, every subdivision i know has at least one kid chasing a ball, or a granny out cleaning her front sidewalk, run over by a 'responsible' neighbor in a car. in most cases, it's the victim's fault (daw) :rolleyes:

psychologists say drivers who get annoyed at having to stop or slow down are really just insecure jerks. talk about cheap power tripping.
  • sumbong nyo kay bf. papatanggal nya yan. :D
  • shun_sakurai
    psychologists say drivers who get annoyed at having to stop or slow down are really just insecure jerks. talk about cheap power tripping.
    Humps are a necessary evil, sure. All we're saying here is that negotiating a hump shouldn't cost you a broken oil pan or your suspension...and there are appropriate locations for them such as intersections and fourways.
  • Honeybahts
    My point exactly. Too many haphazardly constructed humps scattered
    all over metro villages result in too much fuel wastage and increased
    pollution from all that stop and go action of cars.

And I sure dont cruise at 4th inside the villages. I try to stick to the
    30 km/hr limit even on some stretches not blemished by humps.
  • GreatBop
    Humps are a necessary evil, sure. All we're saying here is that negotiating a hump shouldn't cost you a broken oil pan or your suspension...and there are appropriate locations for them such as intersections and fourways.

yep...

READ: WE DONT MIND THE SPEED BUMPS.

We understand why it is needed in there.
    our complaint is that most of them are wrongly made and wrongly placed.

so... we're still power tripping ba? we just compromise.

by the way, i'm for STOP SIGNS/ 4 way stops..

that imo should be done here.
  • mac_bolan00
    oh sure, you guys are worried about your suspensions. what are they made of? clay? my lancer glxi is more than 10 years old and our subdiv has lousy bumps made of cement. but the mechanic says my supension and under-chassis are just fine.
  • shun_sakurai
    oh sure, you guys are worried about your suspensions. what are they made of? clay? my lancer glxi is more than 10 years old and our subdiv has lousy bumps made of cement. but the mechanic says my supension and under-chassis are just fine.
    Well good for you, but car suspensions really do sag over time, especially coil springs.

We kept an AE101 Corolla bone-stock for 7-8 years. A year before we sold it, I can attest to its springs sagging, to the point that if even if we slowed to an absolute crawl to negotiate the taller, more "matambok" humps, I'd hear the undertray scrape. Chalk those sagging springs to normal wear and tear.

Want a model of a locally made perfect hump? Go to Ayala Alabang. Wide and flat enough to be friendly to the suspensions of those who brake for it, but tall enough to punish those who recklessly barrel through it. And they're all uniform.
  • mac_bolan00
    the DPWH specs for an ideal hump is one with a circle radius of at least 1 meter. this translates to a hump at least 0.75 meters wide and six inches in height.

but a circular profile is not the best. i posted earlier that the best hump i ever 'experienced' ( :lol: ) was the one along mapagmahal street in central district/pi?ahan, just as you go up from EDSA (where you have the JAC bus station). the hump is not round in cross-section but slightly triangular. it's more than 1.25 meters wide and more than 6 inches high, made of asphalt. the triangular section means there is no 'snag' when the front wheel hits it. the top of the 'triangle' is slightly rounded. even when attacking it from an uphill climb (mapagmahal has a higher mean elevation than EDSA), you can coast over it at neutral low speed and there's absolutely no jarring.

just not sure if it's still there.