COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

What luther believed.

Luther believed that faith alone and scripture alone can save. as the basic belief of Protestants,

But how can you believe that Scripture alone is enough if that very teachiong of Luther cannot be found anywhere in the scripture.

And the faith alone teaching is never be found in the original Greek text of the Bible. It is he only who adds the word "alone" in his german transltion of the Bible.

Isn't it interesting to know that their basic belief is nowhere in the Bible?

Comments

• ArchimedesArchimedes B?nned by ?dmin PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Agree,

Luther "believed" it only in his head. But he can't even prove it in his bible.
    He must have even been so desperate that he INSERTED it in his own german bible. What a pity!

Jesus said ..."on this rock I will build my Church"

He did not say ... "on this rock I will build my Bible"
  • eastereaster Pinoy PExer
    Ephesians 2:8-9 (New International Version)

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast."
  • MilliardoMilliardo Team Valor PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    easter wrote:

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast."

Is this proof? No, because Paul's point here is that we should not boast in our work, since even this is a gift from God (verse 10). In fact, if Paul is pointing out that our works are not necessary for salvation, then why would God prepare those good works for us to do, as said in verse 10? If sola fide is true, then God's preparation of those works is unnecessary, since those would be of no benefit for us--or is it now?
    oo nga naman paki-add ang verse 10
    Milliardo wrote:
    Is this proof?

Ano pa ba ang interpretation na kailangan sa phrase na "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves". Sinasabi dyan "NOT FROM YOURSELVES".

Ok ito ang Ephesians 2 with verse 10.

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."

Ganito na lang eh, ang Panginoon nagbigay sa iyo ng sobrang pagmamahal, nagpapako sa krus para sa iyo, hindi mo pa rin ba mamahalin. You will love back di ba.

Kung may duda pa kung basehan ang good works sa salvation consider this verse.

Luke 23:39-43
    One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: "Aren't you the Christ? Save yourself and us!"

But the other criminal rebuked him. "Don't you fear God," he said, "since you are under the same sentence? We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong."

Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom."

Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."

Paano pa makakagawa ng good works yung criminal na nakapako sa krus tulad ni Jesus? Pero kita naman natin na sinabing "today you will be with me in paradise"

Hindi "You will be with me in paradise IF YOU DO THIS..."

How was the criminal saved?

1. First he confessed that he was a sinner. Sabi niya "We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve."

2. The he asked for mercy and forgiveness. Again he said "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom."

3. Finally he receives salvation. Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."

To all the people reading this...The criminal knew where he was going when he died. Why because Jesus promised him paradise. Gusto nyo din bang makasiguro sa pagpunta sa heaven? Yung criminal nakasigurado, ikaw gusto mo din ba ng pangakong ito?

Accept that you are a sinner. Then receive Jesus Christ as your savior and repent ka sa sins mo and ask for forgiveness.

KAHIT NA GAANO KALAKI ANG KASALANAN MO GAYA NG KRIMINAL, MAPAPATAWAD KA NG PANGINOON.
    The thief on the Cross-another proof text made by Protestants to "demonstrate" sola fide. But there are things to consider here: one, the thief actually did two things which Jesus considered: he admonished the other thief and then he repented. Another thing Protestants forget is that Jesus does not ask for the impossible: He considered the situation, as well as the thief's intentions. In other words, Jesus saw that in other circumstances, that thief would have obeyed Him and would do good works for Him since he was intent on mending his ways, to go far as to admonish the other one. Protestants forget that it is impossible for that thief to do anything else in that circumstance, or else that thief would have followed Christ and obeyed Him in any other circumstances. Something else to consider: if Jesus taught sola fide, then He would have said to the thief: "Hey, no need for you to go through all that trouble, since you would go to Paradise with Me anyway." That would have been His reply had He have sola fide in mnd. But that's not the case. Actually, easter, what you showed us perfectly contradicts sola fide: the thief suffered for his sins (being on the cross); then he rebuked the other thief for mocking Jesus; then he asked for forgiveness. That's not sola fide at all.
    easter wrote:
    Ano pa ba ang interpretation na kailangan sa phrase na "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves". Sinasabi dyan "NOT FROM YOURSELVES".

Ok ito ang Ephesians 2 with verse 10.

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."

This is actually problematic for Protestants because of two things: one, Paul specifically mentions that God prepared those works for us to do. Again, why would God bother to prepare those things if it's not necessary for salvation. Two, Paul would be contradicting himself in verses 9 and 10 if he had sola fide in mind. But that is not his point at all, and we see that Paul taught anything but sola fide when we read all the way to verse 10. Protestants intentionally leave out verse 10 to justify sola fide, since verse 10 would contradict their stance.
    Milliardo wrote:
    In other words, Jesus saw that in other circumstances, that thief would have obeyed Him and would do good works for Him since he was intent on mending his ways, to go far as to admonish the other one.

However, it shows that Jesus does not wait for you to do those good works in order to be saved.

In the end ito nga ang tanong... Yung criminal nakasigurado kung saan siya pupunta before he died. Ikaw ba nakakasigurado kung saan pupunta kapag namatay ka?

Please answer.
  • wackymathaywackymathay Great Scott! PExer
    In other words, Jesus saw that in other circumstances, that thief would have obeyed Him and would do good works for Him since he was intent on mending his ways, to go far as to admonish the other one.

wow! I have no idea that you knew this for a fact.....

Something else to consider: if Jesus taught sola fide, then He would have said to the thief: "Hey, no need for you to go through all that trouble, since you would go to Paradise with Me anyway."

that was the best simple-minded explanation of Sola Fide I've ever read in my entire life.....

si Easter na lang magpaliwanag sayo...makikipag-away muna ako sa mga investment bankers na taga Goldman Sachs and Merrill Lynch. :D
  • viktorkrum_11viktorkrum_11 Member PExer
    easter wrote:

That is through faith. Not faith alone. It means that you need something else. Faith is just like the pipe where the water will go through. You need something else like prayers, confession, anointing, baptism, etc.
  • viktorkrum_11viktorkrum_11 Member PExer
    easter wrote:
    However, it shows that Jesus does not wait for you to do those good works in order to be saved.

In the end ito nga ang tanong... Yung criminal nakasigurado kung saan siya pupunta before he died. Ikaw ba nakakasigurado kung saan pupunta kapag namatay ka?

Please answer.

First that he is not anymore a criminal for he repented his sin.
    Second we catholics are continuously pray and follow what God taught us for us to be in heaven. We just lift up our life to God that we may enter into His kingdom at the end of this pilgrimage here on earth. Hindid namin ipinagmamalaki na makakarating kami sa langit but with faith and with good works by following God's Law then we can be in heaven.
    That is through faith. Not faith alone. It means that you need something else. Faith is just like the pipe where the water will go through. You need something else like prayers, confession, anointing, baptism, etc.

Ang tanong nga bakit yung criminal di na kinailangan itong mga ito? Ano ginawa niya? Nag sorry kay Jesus and humbled himself. Acknowledge Jesus as His only way to being saved!

Wala nang like prayers, confession, anointing, baptism, etc.
    Hindi namin ipinagmamalaki na makakarating kami sa langit but with faith and with good works by following God's Law then we can be in heaven.

So may question pa? Bakit nga yung criminal wala nang question? Sabi Jesus di ba...

Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."

TODAY! Not tomorrow or next week if you completed your good works. But TODAY! Baka nga yung kriminal can't wait to go at that moment. Biro mo sinabi pa ni Jesus kung saan siya pupunta. Hindi siya pupunta sa Hell, hindi siya pupunta mall. He will go to paradise!

Gusto mo ba makasiguro ng paradise. Again kung mamatay ka mamayang gabi. Or kung dumating si Lord mamayang gabi, saan ka mapupunta.

Alam mo viktorkrum_11 ang tao maraming problema sa buhay. Pero sa kahulihulihan ito ang pinakamalaki niyang problema.

TAKOT SIYANG MAMATAY KASI DI NIYA ALAM SAAN SIYA PUPUNTA!
    easter wrote:
    Ang tanong nga bakit yung criminal di na kinailangan itong mga ito? Ano ginawa niya? Nag sorry kay Jesus and humbled himself. Acknowledge Jesus as His only way to being saved!

Wala nang like prayers, confession, anointing, baptism, etc.

Easter,
    The thief was already talking to Jesus. That is already in the act of PRAYING to God.
    Jesus is God right?. He also confessed his sins when he said them while he was on the cross.
    easter wrote:
    So may question pa? Bakit nga yung criminal wala nang question? Sabi Jesus di ba...

TODAY! Not tomorrow or next week if you completed your good works. But TODAY! Baka nga yung kriminal can't wait to go at that moment. Biro mo sinabi pa ni Jesus kung saan siya pupunta. Hindi siya pupunta sa Hell, hindi siya pupunta mall. He will go to paradise!

Gusto mo ba makasiguro ng paradise. Again kung mamatay ka mamayang gabi. Or kung dumating si Lord mamayang gabi, saan ka mapupunta.

Alam mo viktorkrum_11 ang tao maraming problema sa buhay. Pero sa kahulihulihan ito ang pinakamalaki niyang problema.

TAKOT SIYANG MAMATAY KASI DI NIYA ALAM SAAN SIYA PUPUNTA!

If we well follow your logic, then lahat na ng masama gagawin ko na NGAYON, total patatawarin naman ako ni Hesus sa huli ,I will be automatically be in heaven anyway..
    In other words, I can do all evil deeds like abortion, kill someone, divorce my wife and have sex sex now coz I know I can repent on the last day of my life. No, I will definitely not follow that. The thief said, acknowledged, and confessed his sins to God, unlike the other unrepentant thief. The thief accepted his suffering on the cross as a just penance and punishment for his sins. In the end, Jesus accepted and completely forgave his sins. That’s why Today he will be with me in paradise
    Archimedes wrote:
    In other words, I can do all evil deeds like abortion, kill someone, divorce my wife and have sex sex now coz I know I can repent on the last day of my life. No, I will definitely not follow that.

We'll of course you shouldn't and that would be foolish since hindi mo naman alam kung kailan ka mamatay. What if habang ginagawa mo itong sinful things na ito eh mamatay ka na? Eh di wala ka nang time mag repent.

Saan kaya ngayon pupulutin yung taong yun.

AGAIN let's focus on Jesus. Confess and repent of your sins then acknowledge what He did on the cross for you and that He is your only way to salvation.

Ito ang ginawa ng kriminal so he went to Paradise.
  • AsiaWestAsiaWest Member PExer
    ^ There have been many evangelicals, even pastors that have already professed with full conviction their faith in Jesus Christ as personal Lord and Saviour and confessed their sins, but then after regressed into a sinful lifestyle--sometimes into bondage, or an ugly unspeakable sin.

Are they sure to go to Paradise?

There are many Catholics, mostly called saints, that are assured during their earthly life, thru personal or so-called private revelation, that they will enter Paradise when their time comes.

Evangelicals base their certainty on the certainty of authority of their teachings (i.e. their own interpretation of scriptures)--which here is what is actually in question, not necessarily thru private revelations as Catholic saints have.

Having certainty of one's individual salvation based on teaching or doctrine alone is similar to those of Islam. Muslims boast of being sure of entering Paradise when they perform horrendous "acts of jihad" over what they consider to be "infidels" (e.g. Jews or Christians; i.e. enemies of Islam), believing this to be the Will of God (Allah).

Do you suppose their certitude guarantees them that what they believe is true?
    AsiaWest wrote:
    Evangelicals base their certainty on the certainty of authority of their teachings (i.e. their own interpretation of scriptures)

Again does the story of the criminal needs further interpretation? Again Jesus says the following:

"I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life." (John 5:24)
    AsiaWest wrote:
    ^ There have been many evangelicals, even pastors that have already professed with full conviction their faith in Jesus Christ as personal Lord and Saviour and confessed their sins, but then after regressed into a sinful lifestyle--sometimes into bondage, or an ugly unspeakable sin.

Are they sure to go to Paradise?

Professing with your mind and with your heart entails a lot of difference. Again how to know if your faith is genuine and you are saved. Your faith must bear fruit. And we will go there next.
    AsiaWest wrote:
    Evangelicals base their certainty on the certainty of authority of their teachings (i.e. their own interpretation of scriptures)--which here is what is actually in question, not necessarily thru private revelations as Catholic saints have.

Having certainty of one's individual salvation based on teaching or doctrine alone is similar to those of Islam. Muslims boast of being sure of entering Paradise when they perform horrendous "acts of jihad" over what they consider to be "infidels" (e.g. Jews or Christians; i.e. enemies of Islam), believing this to be the Will of God (Allah).

Do you suppose their certitude guarantees them that what they believe is true?

In order to see the difference one must actually see the fruit of the spirit in the individual who professed that he has accepted Jesus Christ as His personal savior.

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law." (Galatians 5:22-23)

I do not see sexual immorality or murder here.

Continue to verse 24.

"Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires."

Human individuals are again just human and can fall and commit sins. Even those who already accepted Jesus will still commit sins. But as a true believer you hate these things in your heart. Once you commit them like anger you are convicted na mali and you ask forgiveness from the Lord directly.

Even the apostle Paul says it this way...

"We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature.[a] For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it." (Romans 7:14-20)

He is not saying ok mag sin. In fact tinatakwil nga niya eh. Pero tao lamang ika nga. Nagkakamali pa rin. Pero kung may makita kang pagbabago sa kanya na maganda ayan ang totoong pagbabalik loob sa Diyos.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file