Home PEx Hobbies Pets and Animals
Speak your mind, but mind what you post. Let's not spread disinformation and/or misinformation.

Is fish keeping a fad?

Bakit ngayon parang wala na masyadong bumibili ng isda? Unlike last year na biglang sulputan ang mga pet shop? Fad lang ba ito? Wacha think?

Oh... Siguro madaming nadidiscourage pagnamatayan ng isda.... Most of them just puts the fish into an aquarium tank and just expects it to thrive there.

Comments

• Nung kid ako parati ako namamatayan ng goldfish. Dati ni-flush pa nung isang yaya ko yung fish sa toilet bowl. Ang tagal ko rin di ginamit yung bathroom na yon!
    Seeing a fish float belly-up was traumatic for me.
  • jdcastrojdcastro PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    They say aquarium fish keeping is second only to gardening in popularity.

But seeing the interest shown by the posters here in PEx regarding the hobby; I can't see how it could be that popular.

blackblade21:
    Are you a member of any fish club?
  • Keeping fish requires a lot of knowledge,espesialy keeping marine fish and inverts. Unless you have this knowledge and equipment the fish dont usually thrive.
    It takes a lot of dedication to create a natural enviroment that fish and inverts need in an aquarium.Any questions??
  • Originally posted by jdcastro:

blackblade21:
    Are you a member of any fish club?
    Am a member of S.p.a. ikaw member ka ba?
  • jdcastrojdcastro PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    blackblade21:

ako rin SPA.
  • MeMe PExer
    Me, ASAP. :D
  • No is the answer to that! I used to do scuba diving though and I wanted to create the same effect in my living room,so I bought an aquarium and some books and aquired some knowledge!
  • From where I'm at, I believe it isn't just a fad, in fact a new fish shop near our house has just opened...and I'm into fishes since I was a kid...In fact I'm planning to raise some Kois and I've replied to another thread asking for some advice...Blackblade21: can you give me some expert's pointers? BTW been to your website...it's very nice...
  • hindi fad iyon. kasi noong bata pa ako, nag-alaga na kami ng tropical fish. nilagay namin sa fishpond and nag-breed iyon. so we tried to sell them to our neighbors. ang daming bumili.

at saka, until now about 30% of the houses i visit in cebu have aquariums inside.

:D

[This message has been edited by adlaw (edited 07-14-2000).]
  • adlaw Exactly!!! Actually, I'm from Cebu and you're right about your observation...
  • KuyaDannyKuyaDanny Moderator PEx Moderator
    I decided to take up fish keeping about 20 years ago. I bought most of my fish, equipment, and supplies from a small pet shop several blocks away from my parents' house in Mandaluyong.

Then I had to leave for business school, then get married, and pursue the serious business of raising a family. So the fish keeping hobby was put on the back burner for a while.

Last year I decided to take it up again.

That small pet shop in Mandaluyong is still open, and doing very well. So if that is any indication, I don't think it's a fad at all.
  • clawed_outclawed_out PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    adlaw: i think fad yon, kasi i was in manila several months ago & talagang nagsulputan ang mga kanto kantong "pet" shops na isda lang naman ang tinda...

pero keeping a fish is not a fad...

nauso lang yan ngayon kasi sa sabi sabi ng keso ganito na swerte ang may isda keso swerte ang arrowana (naku mali spelling! di ko alam e!) ..haaaay andaming keso! mag alaga ka ng isda kung hilig mo! hindi yung mag a alaga dahil swerte!

ako? lagi akong namamatayan ng isda eh, kaya tumigil na ako...
  • Originally posted by clawed_out:
    adlaw: i think fad yon, kasi i was in manila several months ago & talagang nagsulputan ang mga kanto kantong "pet" shops na isda lang naman ang tinda...

pero keeping a fish is not a fad...

nauso lang yan ngayon kasi sa sabi sabi ng keso ganito na swerte ang may isda keso swerte ang arrowana (naku mali spelling! di ko alam e!) ..haaaay andaming keso! mag alaga ka ng isda kung hilig mo! hindi yung mag a alaga dahil swerte!

ako? lagi akong namamatayan ng isda eh, kaya tumigil na ako...

okay, i haven't been to manila for the past 7 years, so baka nga diyan fad iyon.

but sa cebu, wala akong nakikitang symptoms of a fad...

:D
  • me got only 1 fish dat i love.... my aruana...arjuana...arowana...watever da spelling is!!! :D:D:D

ako din member ng SPA A..haaayy sarap magpaspaa.. ;)
  • gusto mo ako nalang magmasahe? powder or lotion :devil:

As for the fishies.... medyo okey naman, marami pa namang petshops na bumebenta eh...
  • Hello to my brother and sisters in the P.I.! I don't know if the majority here is from the islands or states. I'm representing the new American bloodline- staright from the Bay ARea, San Francisco, California- HELLO! Yes! I do know that the basic aquarium hobby has stretched very wide in the hobby spectrum, being one of the leaders amongst hobbies. Yeyyyy! We have many lfs(live fish stores) in my area(San Francisco,Bay Area). Because my city is a major cargo stop for ships and planes, many of our fish our fresh picks from the wild. Also, there are so many breeders here, ranging from African/American cichlids to the basic Koi. Living in the city is sometimes stressful, so most must find ways to rid of such stresses--Gardening, Karate, FISH HOBBY. Almost everyone I know owns a fish of some sort. From the plain siamese fighting fish found in 2inch bowls to the 600 gallon tanks Uncle Boy has, there are many aquarists. My largest tank is 200gls, containg 6(5in) Tiger Oscars. This is my recent project. Hopefully in 5-6 monhs these fish will start pairing/breeding. I have also started a Green Terror project- 1(7in)Female Green Terror and 3(3in)Green Terrors. By the end of this year I should have at least one pair(fingers crossed).
    My past fish- Silver Arowana, Red Devil/Midas, Gouramis(Dwarf-Giant), Red Tail Catfish, Convicts, Jack Demseys, Blood Parrot, and every type of goldfish you can think of(Oranda, Lionhead, Black Moor, Ryukin, Telescope, Bubble Eye, Pom-Pom, feeders). Toast to the #1 hobby
    Cichlids, i mean Fish. :)
  • rage_withinrage_within PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    i guess marami ang mga naging enthusiasts pero hindi pa nila gets masyado yung mga dapat gawin sa pag-aalaga. especially for marine fishes.