Home PEx Local Entertainment Showbiz - Movies
Join our PEx Olympics Quiz Night and win GCash prizes! 🏅

What are the highest grossing Pinoy films?

I remember when they did a news report on the late Eddie Rodriguez, they mentioned that "Maging Sino Ka Man", one of the films he directed, was the all-time highest grossing local film. Although I could have sworn "Jose Rizal" was the all-time box-office champion.

Can anyone provide any box-office figures?

Comments

• Number one Filipino movie of all time:

Anak.

Then came Ang Tanging Yaman.

But that was before Ang Tanging Ina came out so I'm not sure which movie holds the second place title now.
  • etxeteraetxetera PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I'm curious about this too... sana may list ng top kahit 50 highest grossing films... among all the movies I think the Robin-Reg starrer ang isa sa pinakamatagal na pinalbas sa mga sinehan morethan than 2 motnhs ata... pang-ilan kaya ito sa list?
  • till there was you
    bakit di totohanin
    kahit isang saglit
    all piolo-juday movies
  • Tanging Ina and isusumbong kita sa tatay ko!!
  • Top 5 Movies of All Time :

1. Tanging Ina
    2. Anak
    3. Milan
    4. Got to Believe
    5. Kailangan Kita

*okay* *okay* *okay*

updated : :) hello mga followers ni idol best actress MS CLAUDINE BARRETTO ,e2 na po fromabscbn number one na po ang milan in terms of sales in dvd and vcd at over all na po no. 1 ang milan no. 2 ang tanging ina at 3. na ang ANAk :)
  • Hindi ba Milan?
  • ambertookmeambertookme 🦅 Eagle Squad🏅
    i thought Feng Shui
  • Umm...

Anak is THE highest grossing movie of all time.

Second is Tanging Ina.

Third is Tanging Yaman.

Saw it on a newspaper.
  • hindi bah ksma ang FENG SHUI...
  • Correct! wrote:
    Umm...

Anak is THE highest grossing movie of all time.

Second is Tanging Ina.

Third is Tanging Yaman.

Saw it on a newspaper.

luma na siguro yun!!!....wala pa na-update!!! ;)
  • for me it's panaghoy sa suba...lolz..
    proud to be a boholano
  • Minsan, Minahal Kita
    Madrasta
  • Sana nga we have something like boxofficemojo.com to accurately track how our movies fared in the Philippines and abroad *okay* Sa boxofficemojo.com kasi they have an all-time box office list based on domestic ticket sales as differentiated from worldwide ticket sales.

Mayroon din silang all-time box office list based on inflation-adjusted ticket sales (more sales does not mean more moviegoers compared to previous years) so that U.S. viewers have a complete and true picture about which movies really made money.

I think that it's a common assumption that if a movie earns three times its total production cost (moviehouses, cities and studios split gross receipts) in the Philippines then break-even pa lang ang kinita nito. Anything beyond that is profit back to the producers already :)
  • I talked with a friend of mine who worked in a film distribution outfit. He says: "No one—absolutely NO ONE—knows what the highest grossing Pinoy films are." Apparently, we don't have accounting transparency as in reportage of grosses in Hollywood Reporter, Variety, etc. All news reports on movie grosses in RP are filtered through the film companies' publicity machineries and their "envelopmental publicists". As a rule, the published or reported gross is inflated two to three times the actual gross. Even the local governments or the BIR wouldn't know what the highest-grossing films are based on tax collections on films, because certain big-time producers who publicize their films as "top-grossing" would underdeclare their income when tax filing time arrives, and keep a second set of books to rationalize their underdeclaration: suddenly, films that had been reported as top-grossing are declared to have performed so-so at the box office, when tax time comes.

The only exception to lack of accounting transparency are the films that play in the December Metro-Manila Film Festival, and those that are rated by the Film Development Council of the Philipppines: these films' grosses need to be accurately reported by the Metro Manila Development Authority and the Film Development Council of the Philippines because of tax and public funds accountability issues. And in past MMFF years, the highest-grossers have been the Vic Sotto films ("Enteng Kabisote", etc.), FPJ's "Panday", Uro de laCruz's "Bahay ni Lola", etc. As far as the gross reports of the FDCP, the films they have rated—because they are not usually "commercially slanted"—do not count as among the highest-grossing Filipino films.

Even as the grosses of the above have been accurately reported, it's still difficult to determine or compare the highest-grossing Pinoy films, because—as stated—the grosses of non-MMFF, and non-FDCP-rated films, are not accurately reported during the rest of the year. Therefore, such reports as "this or that film is the highest-grossing Filipino film in history" should be regarded as mere film company hype, to be taken with—and spat out like—a grain of salt...or wishful thinking by fans of certain stars.
  • kyupaybkyupayb PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Jose Rizal
    Muro-ami
    Let The Love Begin
    Lovestruck
  • Filmd fest films are always accurate. It's the only time most newspapers post actual numbers. Some of the highest grossing filmfest films are Enteng Kabisote, Jose Rizal (it was helped since most highschoolers were required to watch it), and Tanging Yaman. Based solely on how long they stayed in theaters and how crowded the cinema was I'll guess that some of the highest grossing movies are

Got to Believe (was showing when Rico Yan died and suddenly everyone went to see it)
    Anak
    Milan
    Tanging Ina
    Let the Love Begin
  • kyupayb wrote:
    Jose Rizal
    Muro-ami
    Let The Love Begin
    Lovestruck

Jose Rizal
    Muro-ami
    Let The Love Begin
    Lovestruck? ---> are you really serious about this? :rolleyes: this is funny! :rotflmao:
  • kyupaybkyupayb PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    opo.. the truth is it is really doing well in cinemas.. negative publicities lang yan ng kabila.. kc bitter parin sila sa paglipat ni jolina... at para na rin sirain ang starstruck idols.. the movie is now on its 2nd week.. bkit ba kasi tayo ganito porke film ng gma at kapamilya ka tlgang nega.. lets just be true and support filipino movies.. watch ka nalang ng lovestruck para mawala inis mo.. its a feel-good movie.. isangtabi mo muna ang pgiging kapamilya mo and see for urself..
  • Kyupayb,

OO lovestruck is doing well in cinemas, but to say na its oen of the top grossing films of all time is plain kabobohan. Among the films you've mentioned, Jose Rizal at Muro Ami lang ang may karapatan
  • cesar10022 wrote:
    I talked with a friend of mine who worked in a film distribution outfit. He says: "No one—absolutely NO ONE—knows what the highest grossing Pinoy films are." Apparently, we don't have accounting transparency as in reportage of grosses in Hollywood Reporter, Variety, etc. All news reports on movie grosses in RP are filtered through the film companies' publicity machineries and their "envelopmental publicists". As a rule, the published or reported gross is inflated two to three times the actual gross. Even the local governments or the BIR wouldn't know what the highest-grossing films are based on tax collections on films, because certain big-time producers who publicize their films as "top-grossing" would underdeclare their income when tax filing time arrives, and keep a second set of books to rationalize their underdeclaration: suddenly, films that had been reported as top-grossing are declared to have performed so-so at the box office, when tax time comes.

The only exception to lack of accounting transparency are the films that play in the December Metro-Manila Film Festival, and those that are rated by the Film Development Council of the Philipppines: these films' grosses need to be accurately reported by the Metro Manila Development Authority and the Film Development Council of the Philippines because of tax and public funds accountability issues. And in past MMFF years, the highest-grossers have been the Vic Sotto films ("Enteng Kabisote", etc.), FPJ's "Panday", Uro de laCruz's "Bahay ni Lola", etc. As far as the gross reports of the FDCP, the films they have rated—because they are not usually "commercially slanted"—do not count as among the highest-grossing Filipino films.

Even as the grosses of the above have been accurately reported, it's still difficult to determine or compare the highest-grossing Pinoy films, because—as stated—the grosses of non-MMFF, and non-FDCP-rated films, are not accurately reported during the rest of the year. Therefore, such reports as "this or that film is the highest-grossing Filipino film in history" should be regarded as mere film company hype, to be taken with—and spat out like—a grain of salt...or wishful thinking by fans of certain stars.

Thank you for the explanation.

Perhaps this is not a conclusive barometer but I think if rival film companies acknowledge that a movie that they did not produce made money should count for some credibility. This is the case with 2003's Till There Was You. Both Boss Vic and Mother Lily said the movie earned big bucks despite the behemoth X-Men 2 showing at the same time. I don't think anybody in the film industry questioned that this film really made money. A month later, Star Cinema screened Ang Tanging Ina.

Sana we have insiders who know how much this and that film really costs from pre-production to publicity vis a vis the peso amount during its entire run and the [insert applicable foreign currency here amount] if shown abroad.