Home PEx Hobbies Electronic Gaming

PC vs Console RPGs

Which do you prefer? There's a difference. From stat-building to character development to the more obvious medieval aka AD&D style (of PC RPGs) vs. "steampunkish" setting of console aka Japanese-style RPGs.

Comments

• nixnix Administrator PEx Moderator
    No contest, I choose the PC RPGs. PC RPGs generally have more content, more interaction, more control, and more character and story building. With console RPGs, I feel that the battle sequences are dumbed down, and that the story is very linear. Just compare Baldur's Gate with Final Fantasy VIII and you can tell that Baldur's Gate has so much more depth and control over its story as compared to the repetitive Final Fantasy that admittedly has the edge in cinematics.
  • nix: I think so too. Kaya lang, I was just wondering why there's a rash of console-style RPG for the PC today. From the Final Fantasy VII conversion to Septerra Core, among others, there seems to be a trend going the Japanese way.

Pero I must admit that one of the best RPGs I've ever played is on the SuperNES - Final Fantasy III and Chrono Trigger. Followed by Daggerfall and Diablo.

BTW, do you consider Diablo an RPG?

• Gotta disagree with you there Nix, I think consoles have more coherent storylines (hence the rigidness of the game structure) while PC's in general have more open ended structure so sometimes you spend your time running all around the place not knowing what to do. As for dumbing down of combat PC RPG's share this too (some are probably more dumbed down), most of the Ultima games are guilty of this, Might and Magic 6, etc...

I guess it's a matter of choice really, for me I like both. And IMO, FF7's storyline beats the hell out of Baldurs Gate, there was more of link between the characters in FF7 and me than with Baldurs Gate. (Spent a whole day breeding those damn chocobos)...

Torment however is another story, great cast of characters!!! You really "identify" with them. And quite an open ended structure also but the plot is still very consistent...
  • Jacob, I don't think Diablo is an RPG in the strictest sense of the word. It's more like a stat-based hack-and-slash game. An RPG (role-playing game) is truly immersive -- like a good story, it suspends your disbelief and bridges the link between you and your character.

With this in mind, I think the Ultima games (particularly 5-7) do a great job of this because they are so open-ended, and you do everything from talk to make businesses. To a lesser extent, Baldur's Gate did the same thing because your alignment and actions reflected what people thought of you, while in Final Fantasy the story was so immersive that you're just drawn into it.

Diablo was so detached. There was no personality on the part of the character. The townpeople were absolutely un-interactive, and your choice of class or actions made no difference in the game or your character development. Diablo definitely was not a role-playing-game.

Given the amount of time I spent playing it, though, it was still a wildly successful (and fun) dungeon hack.

- Mikoid
  • PC RPGs the bomb !
    Dont you guys remember all those AD&D RPGS like pool of radiance, curse of the azure bonds, dragon lance ? Those were like sobraaaaang astig and now theyre making sequels. PC RPGs look so much better, got higher resolution, music, textures etc.

Plus the feel of playing an RPG on a console doesnt feel as good as sa PC. :cool:
  • One distinction could be that where console RPG sweep you along a more "scripted" path (although some of the stories are great), PC RPGs are more open-ended.
  • PC RPG's are more robust and more complete. More close to the original pen and paper RPG's of old. Console games, RPG's or otherwise have more of a simplified feel. This is because the targeted audience is more of the arcade loving kind so the console game makers keep this in mind when creating the games.
  • Most of you are into PC . But I still go for console RPGs. I find them better, more appealing, and exciting. Probably because I prefer the "feeling" i get from handling a controller, than from using the mouse and the keyboard. I think FF7 is the best.

How about Starcraft? Is it an RPG?
  • PC is the best in everything..
  • Originally posted by acridmouth
    Most of you are into PC . But I still go for console RPGs. I find them better, more appealing, and exciting. Probably because I prefer the "feeling" i get from handling a controller, than from using the mouse and the keyboard. I think FF7 is the best.

starcraft = strategy
  • hey, you can't compare Baldur's Gate or Diablo or any of those type with FF7! They're completely different games.

RPGs have that "aura" that you get with console games like FF, Xenogears, CC, etc. It's also about leveling up but through a turn-based system (not a real-time one). Taking the words "RPG" literally, then yes, you might consider BG or Diablo as such, but I really consider them to belong in a different RPG class than FF7 and the like.
  • Originally posted by Totnak Boy
    hey, you can't compare Baldur's Gate or Diablo or any of those type with FF7! They're completely different games.

RPGs have that "aura" that you get with console games like FF, Xenogears, CC, etc. It's also about leveling up but through a turn-based system (not a real-time one). Taking the words "RPG" literally, then yes, you might consider BG or Diablo as such, but I really consider them to belong in a different RPG class than FF7 and the like.

ummm im kinda confused. what exactly is that 'aura' you're talking about? i don't think that the combat system of a certain game decides whether a game is an rpg or not though. and this is the first time i've ever heard someone doubting whether Baldur's Gate is an RPG. Heck, it's one of the best there is.

but i think you have a point. since the console RPGs are more linear, it has an 'adventurish' feel, at least in my opinion.

or maybe i'm still confused :p
  • Originally posted by acridmouth

Eh. No. :D

Neither is Diablo. Neither is Final Fantasy.
  • Totnak Boy: Turn based combat and leveling up does not an RPG make. If it did, even the old X-Com games would be considered RPGs.
  • Originally posted by Tanis_Half-Elf
    Totnak Boy: Turn based combat and leveling up does not an RPG make. If it did, even the old X-Com games would be considered RPGs.

uh.. ATB is completely different from turn based battling.
    If the battle is in 'real time' uh.. doesn't it mean that the game is an action game???

Fallen 2 is not an RPG. Its a simulation. It's like outpost or any other tycoon games. The outcomes depends on your choices.

I seriously do not know why you dont think ff is an rpg series. There's equipping, items management, party management, storyline, exp points, and gils (Final Fantasy series' currency). Again, i know all you have played is ff7 and 8, the crappiest of the series and i forgive you on your uneducated comment.
  • I've also played six and nine. You think too much of yourself.

LOL, that rates as the dumbest, most uninformed statement you've said. It even beats the "Everquest is a soloing game..." one. You never fail to cap yourself, do you?
    I seriously do not know why you dont think ff is an rpg series. There's equipping, items management, party management, storyline, exp points, and gils (Final Fantasy series' currency).

So does UFO and X-Com, except that your aquanauts don't level up, they just get better with more kills. 'Course, you wouldn't know that. :silly:
    I've also played six and nine. You think too much of yourself.

LOL, that rates as the dumbest, most uninformed statement you've said. It even beats the "Everquest is a soloing game..." one. You never fail to cap yourself, do you?
    I seriously do not know why you dont think ff is an rpg series. There's equipping, items management, party management, storyline, exp points, and gils (Final Fantasy series' currency).

So does UFO and X-Com, except that your aquanauts don't level up, they just get better with more kills. 'Course, you wouldn't know that. :silly:

uh.. you do realize that atb has two modes: active and wait. How have you played 9 when you don't even have a psx? Unless ofcourse you're so cheap that you're willing to keep sit down and download the game's rom.

uh.. acctually i know what xcom is. It is exactly like Syndicate. except ufo is about aliens, and syndicate is about organized crime supremacy. i think both were made by bull frog, can't remember now. That game came out back when i thought highly of PC games. Unfortunately as time goes on, the quality of pc games has worsen. Total lack of innovativeness in an attempt to create the next best fps or rts.

Your first task is to track down a UFO, try to intercept it with your aircraft, then send a group to investigate the area, and try to capture an alien, research it, and hopes that eventually you will be ablt to go to their home planet and exterminate them. You get more money by monthly government fundings depending on your alien exterminating job.

XCom is a strategy game. Much like Command and Conquer, you research technologies. You equip your members with your new weapons, etc. Instead of controlling units, you control a member. It is turn based with each person giving a certain amount of time unit. Yes and the more experienced your member gets, his rank gets higher. Gaining more Time Units and some other stat upgrade. Oh yeah BTW, I believe the genre the falls into is turn based strategy... so.. i still don't know what xcom/ ufo is?

• Originally posted by GreatBop
    uh.. you do realize that atb has two modes: active and wait. How have you played 9 when you don't even have a psx? Unless ofcourse you're so cheap that you're willing to keep sit down and download the game's rom.

No duh. Active mean the enemy's/ally's bar still runs while you're selecting your attack and wait mean the bars all freeze while choosing your attack/item/summon.

Huh? Do I need to own a PSx to play a game? What are friends for?
    Originally posted by GreatBop

No duh. Active mean the enemy's/ally's bar still runs while you're selecting your attack and wait mean the bars all freeze while choosing your attack/item/summon.

Huh? Do I need to own a PSx to play a game? What are friends for?

cool... you acctually have a real life friend. I thought that with all your anonymous internet gaming you don't have one friend.. you prooved me wrong there.

And another thing, if it is on active mode, if you choose to attack, you won't be able to attack immediately. you will have to wait for your turn. Plus turn based battle system is an acceptable battle style for rpgs. So what are you complaining about? In fact Final Fantasy is the 'truer' rpg compared to fallen 2. Final Fantasy series has been in existence for over 15 years now and still is regarded as an excellent rpg series. And you come here yakking about ff not being an rpg..

"Oh too much battling, oh i can't choose my own path." Don't play the game then.

Oh yeah btw, i owned you with that xcom bit didn't i.. admit it..
  • pc rpg's are better, marami kasing variety and different approach sa paggawa ng game.... unlike sa console's parang may pattern tsaka straightforward ang game. hindi ka talaga makakapagexplore...

maganda kasi nonlinear yung storyline eh :)