Painkillers.

Howabout ibuprofen? Is that also a painkiller, or a muscle relaxant? And under what circumstances would you recommend naproxen sodium?

Thanks, Doc!

Comments

• brownpaubrownpau Member PExer
    Aspirin.
    Paracetamol.
    Acetaminophen.
    Mefenamic acid.
    Naproxen sodium.

What's the difference? Is any one of them better suited for certain types of pain? Is any one of them more effective?
  • IraIra Member PExer
    They're pretty much the in the same classes of pain relievers. Just that naproxen can be given for moderate to severe pain, while the others, for mild to moderate pain.
  • IraIra Member PExer
    Ibuprofen is also a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agent. The stronger medications are given when over-the-counter analgesics like paracetamol, aspirin, and mefenamic acid don't work in pain control. Some people are more hiyang with ibuprofen, while others are more hiyang with naproxen. These medications may irritate your stomach lining, though, so it's advised that you take an over-the-counter antacid like Maalox,
    Kremil-S, or Simeco with them.
  • cybertazcybertaz Member PExer
    what about alaxan? i've heard some rumors that this painkiller depletes your body of calcium and thus is not recommended for use. is that true?
  • IraIra Member PExer
    Alaxan is just ibuprofen and paracetamol. The rumor isn't true.
  • cloneclone Member PExer
    In the U.S. there's a new group of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs which do not produce the degree of gastrointestinal irritation which Ibuprofen and Naproxen do. Their generic names are Celecoxib and Rofecoxib.

Your comments on these, please, Ira. Are they available in the Philippines yet?
  • IraIra Member PExer
    They've been available in the local market since the 3rd quarter of 1999. They have less incidences of gastrointestinal irritation and bleeding, but we noticed that its efficacy is just about the same as, or even lower than, NSAIDs like ketoprofen and naproxen. Since we always give prophylactic antacids anyway, we usually just stick to the regular NSAIDs + antacid for patients with no prior history of gastrointestinal irritation-- with the prohibitive prices of these selective COX-2 inhibitors (rofecoxib and celecoxib), it's still cheaper and usually more effective to buy the NSAID and antacid instead of the new drugs.
  • cHarL!e's AngELcHarL!e's AngEL couch potato :) PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    i took Exflame after my 1st wisdom tooth extraction & my eyes got swollen, then i took Ponstan before my 2nd wisdom tooth extraction & my eyes reacted the same way. i went to an allergologist & she said i'm allergic to pain killers because Ponstan & Exflame are NSAIDs..i forgot to tell her i took the 2 at different times though. could her diagnosis still be true despite that?
  • IraIra Member PExer
    She's correct.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file