Home PEx Sports PBA

Breaking News about FEDEX

Officials saddened over FedEx decision to leave

First posted 04:40pm (Mla time) July 14, 2005
Agence France-Presse

GOVERNMENT officials expressed regret on Thursday after US logistics giant FedEx announced it would close its Asia-Pacific hub in the country and move it to China.
"It is quite unfortunate to hear about the plan of FedEx. We already have the infrastructure projects ready," said Socioeconomic Planning Director Dennis Arroyo.

Arroyo said FedEx's decision came just as the government was improving rail and road links to Subic Bay.

"If that is a business or corporate decision it is unfortunate. We hope they might reconsider. They may have other reasons privy only to themselves," said Transportation Department spokesman Thompson Lantion.

FedEx chairman Frederick Smith announced in Hong Kong on Wednesday that his company would move its regional hub from Subic Bay, a former US naval base north of Manila, to what would be the largest Asia-Pacific air transshipment hub at Guangzhou's Baiyun International Airport.

Smith said the runway at Subic Bay would not be long enough to accommodate its A380 superjumbo jets, although a greater consideration was that its future growth in Asia will be in China.

Both Lantion and Arroyo said their agencies were not informed beforehand about FedEx's decision.

source: http://news.inq7.net/breaking/index.php?index=1&story_id=43501

with these recent developments, is the Fedex PBA team in peril?

Comments

• KARTOGKARTOG PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Considering their role in the current basketball standoff it would probably be better to see them go, than hold everybody hostage. BAP thru Joey Lina's last-minute desperation acts have already caused us the chance to enter the Worlds next year.
  • ateneo10ateneo10 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    KARTOG wrote:
    Considering their role in the current basketball standoff it would probably be better to see them go, than hold everybody hostage. BAP thru Joey Lina's last-minute desperation acts have already caused us the chance to enter the Worlds next year.

its always nice to see people who play politics get bitten by karma.

but fedex per se is not the bad guy. it'd be sad to see them go pa rin.

but lina deserves this 100000%!
  • the linas must be singing karma at the moment

*what goes around comes around, what goes up must come down*

ok lang yan, it's time to open the pba doors to new teams.
  • if there are other teams coming...

the linas can concentrate on cycling, football and amateur basketball
    they dont need the pba when they decide to leave the league
    they run the bap and have the sole authority in sending national teams
  • shox920shox920 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    ^^^
    Halaw ba yan sa Private I kagabi?
  • KARTOGKARTOG PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    I wonder who will now pay these BAP spin doctors.

Will the Linas be able to sustain their BAP cause?

Let's wait for the next columns of the known BAP supporters--once they change their tunes we will know BAP is in its last throes.
  • What does this mean for Ritualo's Mail and More franchise with FedEx?
  • AnthonyServinioAnthonyServinio Member In Focus PEx Icon 🎖️🎖️🎖️
    I recall the time that FedEx officials said in an informal conversation during a post-game Laguna Lakers team dinner circa 1999 (the MBA's peak) that they were planning to abandon the MBA and join the PBA. It speaks of their organization's character. Imagine, they were one of the pillars of the MBA and yet they were planning to jump to the rival league! That really dampened the morale of those who learned about it later.

Of course, we all know the inevitable happened and the Lakers folded up after the 2001 MBA season only to re-surface as the FedEx Express in PBA 2002. Their PBA foray is of course another long story worthy of multiple threads.

Notice the similarity these days? FedEx openly goes against the PBA-PBFI stand by continuing to support the whims and caprices of the discredited Chinese BAP. :grrr:
  • Well, look at it this way...

It just may be a sound business decision considering that:

1. Cost of labor and utilities is a lot lower in China than in the Philippines;

2. China's infrastructure is better, newer and bigger in terms of road networks, bridges, airports, ports, etc.

3. Proximity to other Asian countries.

But, I agree with what the others said about karma. I hope Lina deserves to get ruined for life.
  • AnthonyServinioAnthonyServinio Member In Focus PEx Icon 🎖️🎖️🎖️
    Geraldo "Bong" Ramos has resigned as head coach of FedEx Express effective immediately!

Coach Ramos cited his failure to comply with the company policy of using all the players on the bench and other reasons why he quit in the letter submitted to team manager Angelito A. Alvarez. He was the Express' fourth coach in its three and a half years of existence after Frederick Pumaren, Bonifacio Garcia and Jose Lipa.

Appointed at the start of the just-concluded PBA Fiesta Conference won by San Miguel Beer, Coach Ramos steered the Express to its best elimination round finish in franchise history when they finished in Fifth Place.

No replacement has been named.
  • the management of this team is a joke someone should just buy them instead...imagine management telling what a coach should do or how he should run a team???
  • I think the real reason behind Bong Ramos' resignation is because Johnny Tam was the one sent to coach FedEx in the recent Hong Kong tournament they joined. Parang binastos siya because siya dapat coach but iba ang pinadala.
  • alam mo yang johnny tam na yan di ko alam kung ano meron siya at lagi yan ang coach ng national team we have better coaches than him heck i think there are even greater basketball minds here that if ever that guy gets involved in the national team it should just be as a consultant or scout and nothing more...
  • so it could mean johnny tam will be the next coach of fedex in the pba
    he follows the linas instructions to the letter
    wonder how anthony s will react once he is formally named
    Fortune wrote:
    so it could mean johnny tam will be the next coach of fedex in the pba
    he follows the linas instructions to the letter
    wonder how anthony s will react once he is formally named

he'll again list the *ehem* achievements of coach tam and why fedex should really get their heads checked.
    galactus28 wrote:
    alam mo yang johnny tam na yan di ko alam kung ano meron siya at lagi yan ang coach ng national team we have better coaches than him heck i think there are even greater basketball minds here that if ever that guy gets involved in the national team it should just be as a consultant or scout and nothing more...

its called connections... same thing that wynne arboleda has to get all those pg minutes from fedex
    Zanarkand wrote:
    I think the real reason behind Bong Ramos' resignation is because Johnny Tam was the one sent to coach FedEx in the recent Hong Kong tournament they joined. Parang binastos siya because siya dapat coach but iba ang pinadala.

sinong hindi magagalit? ikaw ang head coach ng team tapus biglang BAM!

kahit ako magagalit talaga
  • kala ko nagbibiro lang si coach bong kahapon.. he was also at the cuneta astrodome watching the ncaa. i saw him talking to somebody on his cell phone and i overheard him saying this too although i didn't hear the details.. at ba't ko naman papakinggan di ba? hehehe! lakas lang ng boses nya nun gamit nya cellphone..

for me tama si zanarkland.. its not because of the contradicting style of coach bong and fedex's philosophy of using all players in a game. bakit yun laguna lakers? fedex backed din sila yet they sit other players out.

anthony s, prepare yourself to see multi titled coaching genius johnny tam in the PBA! hahaha!
  • ateneo10 wrote:
    its called connections... same thing that wynne arboleda has to get all those pg minutes from fedex

Is Wynne Arboleda the FedEx version of Triple H? :lol::D

Nung narinig ko yang resignation na yan, mukhang si Johnny Tam"bak" na ung papalit, tutal medyo matunog din siya at mabango pa ang pangalan for the team since they placed third in that Hong Kong tournament.

OK lang kung siya maging next FedEx coach para maexpose ung kanyang "coaching genius".