[MERGED] All about Warts (Kulugo)

Is there an over-the-counter cream or medicine for removing warts?

Comments

• IraIra Member PEx Rookie ⭐
    Yes, if your wart is really small. Otherwise, electrocautery is best. The medication is Duofilm liquid, which you apply once daily until the wart falls off.
  • insomniacinsomniac Member PExer
    You see I got this small protruding mole-like thingie behind my right breast. i thought it was a mole that was buhay, but recently it hurt a bit and next thing I know it had "dried" up.. all it looks like now is a scab about to fall off

And from what I know moles don't go away on their own. So could it be something else... like a wart perhaps?

What do I do about it?
    From your description, it sounds like a wart. Of course, I can't be sure unless I see it. :) You should consult a dermatologist to have it checked, since it may be another entity altogether.

If it is a wart, the dermatologist may either prescribe you a solution which you can apply until it falls off, or if it's too big for that, he may just cauterize it.
  • planetaryplanetary Member PExer
    Doc Ira: Is this the same as "kulugo"? And isn't there an OTC medicine you can use for this?
    Yes, wart is kulugo. The medications are either Duofilm or Wart-Off!. If the wart is too big, these keratolytics may not work. That's why she needs to see a dermatologist to check whether it is really a wart, and if it is, if it's small enough to just use these medications.
  • clawed_outclawed_out Banned by Admin PExer
    do warts come and go? or hereditary ba? cause some of my relatives have this & thank God for medicines, nawala rin after how many visits to a derma...

same with moles? cause i have this mole when i was little then it disappeared when i was in highschool but it is making a come back now...
    Warts are fungal infections. They don't come and go, they remain until medical treatment is sought.
  • d_a_z_z_yd_a_z_z_y jedi_zensei PExer
    i think its the best way for removing warts?does it hurt?
  • CalypsoCalypso Member PExer
    Hi, d_a_z_z_y! While cauterization is a great way to remove warts, or even moles, I don't think it actually prevents the skin from having them grow back again.

I've had my baby warts (they're so tiny and skin-toned that the dermatologist constantly had to change lighting to see them) on the face cauterized when I was in HS, and a second time just recently. So, if your skin is naturally prone to warts (which are actually cholesterol deposits... hmm tama ba, Doc?), expect your warts to pop up again. Hehe, nanakot ba? But if you just want to remove them, at least temporarily, just like me, then go right ahead! Anything for vanity! ;)

As for the process being painful... naaahhh...! Actually, the first time I had my warts removed, my dermatologist didn't apply any anesthetic at all-- she just told me that the pain would be like an ant's bite. Well, since I have a very high tolerance for pain, I didn't complain. And it WAS just like ant's bite. As for my second cauterization, however, she applied topical anesthesia, so I practically felt nothing. :) If anything, pain and anguish you'll feel will come after na... when you look at yourself in the mirror! Ack! :eek: To walk the streets with a dotted face for three days! Yipe! Pity!!

[This message has been edited by Calypso (edited 08-21-2000).]
    hi Calypso! thanks for the reply! actually i was cauterized a month ago. i went to the derma just for face cleaning and she suggested to remove my baby warts as well! as in dun ko lang nalaman na may warts pala ako! they are so tiny and kakulay pa ng skin ko! :eek:

i love the results though! it was right on time, just two weeks before grad pictorial! :D those 3 days of having a spotted face was worth it!

she didn't charge me for the cauterization, kasi habang konti at maliliit pa daw alisin ko na! is it true that warts are genetic? coz may dad has lots of them! will they grow back?

[This message has been edited by d_a_z_z_y (edited 08-21-2000).]
    Nope, warts aren't genetic. They are caused by different subtypes of human papillomaviruses, and are considered infectious. And even if you have a low threshhold for pain, your physician can apply a local anesthetic cream which will numb you of any pain caused by the cauterization.
    uhm... sorry not genetic, but hereditary... are they? thanks, Ira! :D
    No, they're not hereditary either. They're infectious.
    how can a person be infected with warts? from frogs? are they like a virus or something? thanks in advance! :)
    Warts are caused by papillomavirus subtypes. You don't get warts from frogs. You get them from direct contact with persons who have warts or using an infected person's used wet towels, etc.
    WOW! thanks Ira!
  • blue17blue17 Blue Palito PExer
    Originally posted by Ira:
    The medication is Duofilm liquid, which you apply once daily until the wart falls off.

over-d-ctr?
    ma-try nga...
    magkano kaya? thinker.gif

thanks Dra. Ira ;)

I think there's a new over-the-counter medication since I posted my reply last. It's "Wart-Off!".
  • IkariIkari Lurker PExer
    How do I get rid of them?!?! Preferably hindi electrocautery.
    If the warts are few, very small, and aren't found near the eyes or in the mucosal region, you can try applying either Duofilm 1 drop daily or Collomack 1 drop 2x a day. Be careful about not applying it on normal skin, though. Otherwise, it will have to be electrocautery. If you're afraid of the pain, don't worry. Electrocautery isn't painful since they apply a local anesthetic cream before the procedure is done, so you won't feel a thing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file