Home PEx Sports PBA

2005 PBA Awards Winners

and the winners are...

Comments

• luks7210luks7210 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Sportsmanship Award 2005 - Dondon Hontiveros (SMB)
    Rookie of the Year - Rich Alvarez (Shell TC)
    Most Improved Player 2005

- Enrico Villanueva (Red Bull)
    Most Valuable Player 2005

Eric Menk (Ginebra)
  • gosh.. ROY c rich.. congratz rich.. u deserve it!!!
    First Mythical Team 2005

Eric Menk (Ginebra)
    Willie Miller (Talk n' Text)
    Jimmy Alapag (Talk n' Text)
    Nic Belasco (San Miguel)
    Dorian Pena (San Miguel)
  • what happened to caguioa?
  • pretenred1pretenred1 Member PEx Icon 🎖️🎖️🎖️
    yehey si rich ang nanalo.. baka sa tabloid tomorow, james at kris break na.. hehehhee juk lang!
  • camerlengo wrote:
    what happened to caguioa?
    With James Yap losing out to Rich Aklvarez and Marc Caguioa left out of the M5 the league is not an SMB league after all

As for the M5, they probably followed the 3 Forwards of Centers and 2 Guards composition where Miller is a shoo-in for his MVP plum and Alapag probably out voting the Spark.
  • neth_rowneth_row PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    The big loser isn't Caguioa, but rather Dondon Hontiveros. I felt he deserved as spot in the Mythical Team (at least). Big winner? Dorian Pe?a. He should thank the league for sticking to a strict team composition; otherwise he wouldn't have made it to the Mythical Five.
  • 2 ateneans in the persons of rich and enrico bagging two awards each in the same awards night...

a bright moment in ateneo sports history i think
  • ateneo10ateneo10 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    swanggit...

telan... pe?a...

hay...

they should've just gone with 3 forward centers...

i mean, this is the all pba 1st and 2nd teams and your centers are... never mind...
  • ALvsALvs PExer
    with san miguel not making any considerable impact in the league, until only this last conference, i think other players may have deserved to be in the mythical five...
  • neth_rowneth_row PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    San Miguel dominated the 2004 Fiesta Conference Elims, with a 16-2 record. True, they got blindsided in the quarterfinals. But it doesn't take away the fact that they played 18 exceptional games.

They pushed eventual champions Ginebra to the 5-game limit in the AFC semis, moreso than finalist TNT. And now they're on the verge of winning the 2005 Fiesta Conference, holding a 3-1 edge over TNT.

Really, other than the Hontiveros and the Villanuecva snubs, plus the Pe?a slot, I think the league got it right this time. Hontiveros' non-inclusion to the Mythical Team seemed to have fired him up, as he scorched TNT for 24 points (including 6 triples in the 2nd half alone).
  • shadow jedishadow jedi PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    2 ateneans in the persons of rich and enrico bagging two awards each in the same awards night...

a bright moment in ateneo sports history i think

Don't forget Olsen Racela!!! :)
    Red Bull Most Exciting Player 2005

Ronald Tubid
    I think Caguioa is included in the 2nd Mythical Team
  • ^yeah... hmmm... bakit kaya? i think mas deserving siya sa 1st mythical, without biases... isa siya sa pinakaconsistent na player sa PBA...

i guess he just lost sa voting.
  • dorian pena won because san miguel is in the finals. His teammates voted for him. Mark Caguioa lost the 1st team slot because ginebra was eliminated early. His teammates did not bothered to go to the venue to vote for him, they might be vacationing. Rich alvarez won the roy because he lead the statistical derby over james yap mainly because of the "won games bonus points". But if you compare their averages, jamesyap would appear the clearcut favorite. In this conference alone, james yap averages +- 15pts per game vs alvarez who did not even average in the double figures. Press people who was not always on the venue to watch the PBA was deceived by the statistics. They simply voted for the frontrunner which is alvarez. Shell management did also their job to ensure alvarez victory. Before the awarding, a press release saying that alvarez is leading the roy race by a wide margin on statistics appeared on most of the philippine newspapers.This is to perceive that alvarez is clearly the deserving roy. History repeats itself. Players in the past who won the ROY award, thanks to "won game bonus points", and players block voting (usually if their team is in the finals during the voting period) and media voting (pinapakain and lagay) included bong ravena over meneses in 1992, boybits victoria over noli locsin (ave.20pts,10 rebs)/rey evangelista (statistical leader) in 1994 and jeffrey cariaso over dennis espino in 1995.
  • ateneo10ateneo10 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    luks7210 wrote:
    Red Bull Most Exciting Player 2005

Ronald Tubid

that award just plain sucks...

it shows how much the pba sold out...

i mean, look at the nba... they could easily give awards out with sponsorship, but argh...

the coke all nba 1st team...

that's no way to build a brand. they should leverage these awards to give them more dignity and not give the impression they're just selling out...