Home PEx Sports PBA

Is The PBA A SMC League?

FortuneFortune PExer
Clean Living : Is James Yap enjoying 'undue' advantage?

First posted 07:23am (Mla time) July 08, 2005
By Manolo I?igo
Inquirer News Service

Editor's Note: Published on page A23 of the July 8, 2005 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

THERE is no question that the Philippine Basketball Association is worthy of praise for honoring the league's most outstanding players of the year, but in the spirit of fairness and equality it should revise its format allowing the players of four sister teams -- San Miguel Beer, Coca-Cola, Barangay Ginebra and Purefoods -- to vote separately in the frantic race to select the PBA Most Valuable Player, Rookie of the Year and Best Import.

For example, in this year's Rookie derby, James Yap of Purefoods is perceived as enjoying an advantage over Rich Alvarez of Shell in players' vote because the TJ Hotdogs swingman is expected to get the votes from players of Purefoods' sister teams.

In my view, this setup, where one company controls too many teams in the PBA, is not good for the league.

"It's looking monopolistic," former PBA chair and Alaska team owner Wilfred Uytengsu once said following the transfer of the Pop Cola franchise (now the Coca-Cola team) to San Miguel Corp., raising the number of PBA teams owned by SMC to four.

As a result, this one-sided setup has generated many criticisms. Many say the league's integrity could be cast under a big cloud of doubt and the fans' confidence could be eroded.

I'm not privy to the selection format, but it is in the best interest of the organization if the PBA pashas limit the votes of the four sister teams in future conferences. This will at least level the playing field and make everybody happy.

In the current ROY derby, the 6-foot-3 Alvarez is not only leading in the statistical race but his overall record is better than those of the other contenders such as Yap, Joachim Thoss (Alaska), Yap's Purefoods' teammate Paul Artadi; and Ranidel de Ocampo (FedEx).

An all-around player and two-time UAAP Most Valuable Player, Alvarez, a former Ateneo Blue Eagle, was simply dominant in the 2004 Philippine Cup, 2004 Fiesta Conference and the ongoing 2005 Fiesta Conference, where the Turbo Chargers beat the TJ Hotdogs in a best-of-three series for a spot in the semifinals.

Comments

• oops wrong forum
    should be in IN THE ZONE
    thanks mods
  • ateneo10ateneo10 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    i see you're at it again fortune...

by the by, uaap HAS NO MOD so would you be so kind as to report this to neth row so he can do what's proper with it? :D
  • fortune, isn't this an old topic that you've rehashed yet again?

parang nakita ko na to at least twice nung ginagamit ko yung lumang nick ko...
  • di pa ba nasasagot tong tanong mo na ito? it's been years! talino ka lang talaga!
  • i normally don't agree with that idiot Manolo I?igo, but i with him with this one.
  • air_presto2air_presto2 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Nasa payroll ng Red Bull yang si Manolo I?igo eh... lahat ng columns nyan about Red Bull. Wala kasi candidate sa Rookie of the Year ang Red Bull pero kung meron tiyak yun ang ibbuild-up nyan.
  • the_BuGsthe_BuGs PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    na ban na si fortune dati di ba?
  • neth_rowneth_row PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    You were saying?
  • PandaemonaeonPandaemonaeon Moderator PEx Moderator
    Mommy, what does SMC mean?
    no seriously

panda23xg.gif
  • sprakinhytsprakinhyt PEx Rookie ⭐
    uhmmm san miguel corp? :ahh:
  • SoliduS_AlphASoliduS_AlphA PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    joker.jpg
    May I speak to Mr. Eala? I want to report somebody here sayin that the PBA is an SMC league.
    the_BuGs wrote:
    na ban na si fortune dati di ba?

he's just (well, was) on self imposed exile. using his alternick to get him by.

of course, now that yap didn't win it, he could go back to that mode hehe

mythical team had pe?a? of course the gins had the mvp, but he's not been playing in the league for a while...
  • a10, do you only show up during UAAP time?
  • joker.jpg
    May I speak to Mr. Eala? I want to report somebody here sayin that the PBA is an SMC league.

kaboom has already given fortune/camerlengo the PBA's office number...malamang, naduwag na naman yan at di makatawag kaya dito na naman nilalabas galit nya sa mundo...
  • doolfreak_bigedoolfreak_bige PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    matuwa na yang manolo inigo na yan! dahil nanalo ang red bull ng most improved player award (enrico villinueva). at hindi nagkatotoo na si james yap ang ROY dahil si rich alvarez ang nanalo.

wala naman alam isulat yang kolumnistang yan kundi siraan ang smc; puriin ang red bull; saka magsulat tungkol sa mga horse racing blah blah....
    coydeleon wrote:
    a10, do you only show up during UAAP time?

not dati.

guess when i saw no hope for my playoff teamS (nj, chi, hou), i just gave up pexing for a while. it was sad enough not being reminded about it hehe

but with the free agency season open, post draft, i can keep my hopes up.

but yeah, i came back this time for the uaap. i just wanted to know who's in out line up and who went away, and bam! got hooked on pex again! :D
    Big Ticket wrote:
    kaboom has already given fortune/camerlengo the PBA's office number...malamang, naduwag na naman yan at di makatawag kaya dito na naman nilalabas galit nya sa mundo...

the pba's office number? wow! that's news to me...

but that's real great of kaboom! though...
  • ^yeah....sa asar ni kaboom kay fortune...pero di naman raw tumatawag si fortune eh, he/she/it does not have the guts to call...
  • wala naman alam isulat yang kolumnistang yan kundi siraan ang smc; puriin ang red bull; saka magsulat tungkol sa mga horse racing blah blah....

sama mo na rin ang ballroom dancing / dance sport :lol: :rotflmao:
  • SoliduS_AlphASoliduS_AlphA PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    joker2.jpg
    This is the joker's league. :evilgrin: