Home PEx Local Entertainment Showbiz - Movies

Peque Gallaga's Pinoy Blonde

Anyone heard of this?

From the previews, talaga nga namang nakakaintriga kasi yung style/concept/plot/cinematography eh Quentin Tarantino-ish (who directed Kill Bill 1&2, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, among others).

I don't really know Gallaga's style except that he always wants something new sa movie industry si I don't know what to expect.

Sana di ako biguin pag naarkila ko.

Comments

• i'm not sure what to think of this film. we all know that peque has indie american films for inspiration (perhaps even reference) but from the previews, he seems to be shooting for something a bit too ...highbrow for mass production.

will still watch it of course :)

re: style, i loved how mr. gallaga executed magic kingdom. it was groundbreaking original fantasy, and one of the most influential movies of my life. i'd like to see his other films, but i was really impressed by how he broke the mold without sacrificing audience interest.
  • pero manonood ako nito!
  • sinong mga artista dito?
  • ^ sina epy and boy2 quizon ang stars.

http://www.pinoyblonde.com
  • sa mga nakapanood, feedback naman!! ;)
  • dj_sensuidj_sensui PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    ok yun movie. kakaiba... kaya lng konti nanonood kanina sa megamall kasi daming pila sa fantasic four.

eto yung pelikula na tungkol sa pelikula.
  • JENSIE_GJENSIE_G PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Great art direction and cinematography.

Pero yun lang.

Otherwise... it's a :zzz: :sleeper: movie...

Lack of originality is never kewl. No matter how you put it.
  • Actually, the reviews I've heard from friends are pretty good. La Visa Loca was ok but I felt it was overrated. I'm expecting the same for this movie.
  • starczamorastarczamora Sissie DaToic PEx Moderator
    Unitel Pictures has made a habit of tweaking their promotion.

For instance, La Visa Loca was being promoted as a film about the Pinoy's obssession about Visa application to US. But in the actual film, this tipic was only brought up in only a fourth of the movie.

Its real topic was the Filipino's unusual Lenten practices (that's why it was originally titled "Penitensya Republic").
  • I saw it.

I agree that the cinematography and the visuals were good.

But the story itself lacked soul, direction or meaning. I really didn't care for what the hell was going on.
  • most pretentious movie i've seen...i agree with the above comment, pilit talaga yung whole movie...it had no script, just a bunch of quotes from hollywood movies and pop-culture references tied together by visuals! i had the feeling that peque gallaga made a this movie to release his frustrations about not making the movies it refers to thus "spoofing" a lot of hollywood films (ie face/off, kill bill, matrix, spiderman etc)... once again, another all-hype pinoy movie...then again, i like the fact that producers are actually making movies like this...hope they make actually make a good different movie next time!

only saving grace of the movie was Jaime Fabregas! that guy was awesome! pfft pfft!
  • JENSIE_GJENSIE_G PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    ^^^I couldn't agree more. This movie's nothing but a copycat of all sorts.

And all the local movie industry can do is RANT, RANT, RANT for the low turnout of supporters of local movies these days.

Pathetic.

Ang konswelo lang ay the movie has kewl teasers and posters. Buti nalang Unitel has a good creative agency.
  • Oh. I havent seen the film. But I also had this gut feel that its all hype, like La Vida Loca, which wasnt that great a movie.
  • topnotch97topnotch97 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    maganda yung trailer..... yun lang

i agree with the Quentin Tarantino aspect and style

parang "Dude, Where's My Car?"
  • last.dodo.birdlast.dodo.bird PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    JENSIE_G wrote:
    ^^^I couldn't agree more. This movie's nothing but a copycat of all sorts.

And all the local movie industry can do is RANT, RANT, RANT for the low turnout of supporters of local movies these days.

Pathetic.

Ang konswelo lang ay the movie has kewl teasers and posters. Buti nalang Unitel has a good creative agency.

If you make a movie about movies, then of course there will be a multitude of references to a wide array of movies! It's not about the originality, but the need in the film to make these references.

I agree that the film elements are crafted masterfully - great lighting and cinematography... although the editing is sloppy at times. Lots of style injected into the mix.

I disagree with the entire "no soul, no story" comment... Well, not really... Maybe I could give the "no story" comment a let-go since the plot is actually quite thin...

But there is a lot of soul in the movie which revolves around Epy being pro-Brocka, pro-sentimentality and Boy2 being pro-Bernal, pro-intellecual... add Epy's situation with his girfriend... add their pangs in being struggling film-makers... add Ricky Davao's charater which enhances this premise towards the end.

It's a movie which uses a thin plot to present a lot of commentaries on things such a politics, entertainment, culture, and most of all - movies. Heart vs Mind. Sentimentality vs Intellectuality. It even makes me consider that much of the "soul" is left to the viewers and not to the movie itself...

Not all movies feed on the story... Some are made as satire - such as this one. At the end of the day, a movie is great if it is what it needs to be, and for me this is an excellent movie, well worthy of the hype and much more.

*okay*
  • I read an article in the Philippine Star about how Pinoy Blonde was a movie directed and produced by 60 year olds aimed at 13-30 year olds...i think this is one of the biggest problems of the movie, Peque Gallaga and Tony Gloria made a movie based on what they THINK is "cool", what will click with the young audiences and it failed because they made it based on THEIR perceptions (ie the soundtrack filled with today's hottest bands, the animation, the CGI, dream sequences, glimpses of sex scenes), unfortunately, it just tries too hard to be cool, too hard to be cutting edge and different. a cool movie is one that just is, and this movie basically screams cool to it's audience (god, even the trailers and posters say that this movie is "ASTIG!")

i'm a 21 year old film student...i am basically the target market of this movie and i didn't get it...it didn't speak to me like it was supposed to...it didn't make me love movies more or get involved with their quotes...in short, i barely identified with these characters, in fact, our film class had nothing good to say about this movie and that's sad because this is a film which was supposed to speak to us and it failed in doing so...
    homeBuddy wrote:
    I read an article in the Philippine Star about how Pinoy Blonde was a movie directed and produced by 60 year olds aimed at 13-30 year olds...i think this is one of the biggest problems of the movie, Peque Gallaga and Tony Gloria made a movie based on what they THINK is "cool", what will click with the young audiences and it failed because they made it based on THEIR perceptions (ie the soundtrack filled with today's hottest bands, the animation, the CGI, dream sequences, glimpses of sex scenes), unfortunately, it just tries too hard to be cool, too hard to be cutting edge and different. a cool movie is one that just is, and this movie basically screams cool to it's audience (god, even the trailers and posters say that this movie is "ASTIG!")

i'm a 21 year old film student...i am basically the target market of this movie and i didn't get it...it didn't speak to me like it was supposed to...it didn't make me love movies more or get involved with their quotes...in short, i barely identified with these characters, in fact, our film class had nothing good to say about this movie and that's sad because this is a film which was supposed to speak to us and it failed in doing so...

I'm curious how you know so much on what this movie is "supposed" to be? :)

imho, i just felt that it needed a certain amount of humor, style and satire considering the theme that it presented and the flow of the story.

But when you talk about what it's supposed to be, then you're talking about intention... what the film makers intended the movie to be...

But what do I know? I'm not a film-anything *okay*

Anywayz, at the end of the day, this is quote that all should abide to regarding appreciating any sort of art ---> de gustibus non est disputandum *okay*

Peace!
  • naku... sabi ko na e.

damn, i should've known better than to hope :D but i'm still going to watch. will take notes.
  • homeBuddy wrote:
    I read an article in the Philippine Star about how Pinoy Blonde was a movie directed and produced by 60 year olds aimed at 13-30 year olds...i think this is one of the biggest problems of the movie, Peque Gallaga and Tony Gloria made a movie based on what they THINK is "cool", what will click with the young audiences and it failed because they made it based on THEIR perceptions (ie the soundtrack filled with today's hottest bands, the animation, the CGI, dream sequences, glimpses of sex scenes), unfortunately, it just tries too hard to be cool, too hard to be cutting edge and different. a cool movie is one that just is, and this movie basically screams cool to it's audience (god, even the trailers and posters say that this movie is "ASTIG!")

Whoever wrote that article is completely wrong. Peque Gallaga gave almost all the creative freedom to the young people. Trust me on this.

Kung hindi mo nagets ang movie, siguro may kulang sa kokote mo or you think too highly of yourself. ;) Maybe the movie failed you, but don't generalize. We saw the film and it was all good, the message was clear, the effects were great (except for the 2D Animation)! ;)

Buong film class niyo walang nasabing maganda sa film? WHAT THE?!?!? Dude, look at the cinematography, the lightings, the effects? Wala kayong nakitang maayos dun? Huwag sanang lahat ng film class dito sa Pinas ay kagaya niyo..talagang mamamatay na ang pelikulang Pilipino kung ganun. :)

The only thing I hate about this movie is them quoting Hollywood most of the time...napaka-unrealistic.
    naku... sabi ko na e.

damn, i should've known better than to hope :D but i'm still going to watch. will take notes.

tama yan :) it's a great film.

and after your note-taking, share your insights on this thread *okay*