Home PEx Lifestyle Health and Wellness
Speak your mind, but mind what you post. Let's not spread disinformation and/or misinformation.

I have a health concern.

For the past year, I always had phlegm in my throat despite that I do not have any colds. I also feel it firmly lodged in the back of my throat. Sometimes, I feel a rumbling in my chest. I worry that it's a heart problem but I do not feel breathless and neither does my heart palpitate after the spasm has subsided. The feeling is that I have a large amount of phlegm or something else lodged in my bronchial area. This causes that spasms I have mentioned in my chest area, leading to my throat. I'm worried about this and I do not know what this could mean. I can't get the phlegm out no matter how hard I hack it out. Please enlighten me about it.

Comments

• batang uliranbatang uliran PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    I've seen some patients with this particular problem and to be honest, it could mean many things. It is difficult to assess something like this online but Ic an give you a few tips. Obviously, the remedy will depend on the cause.

If it is phlegm or mucus, then you will need a decongestant (eg. Neozep or sinutab or sudafed) and depending on other features, a nasal steroid spray (if nasal congestion is a problem as well) or an antihistaminic if you have multiple allergies.

The other things it could be range from a spine from a fish at the back of your throat (treated of course by removal), some other foregn body that may have been lodged there - eg. peanuts, small plastic toy, rosary bead (I'm trying to be creative here), or an infection or a tumor (I threw this in for completion's sake but if you are a young, healthy person, it's probably not this).

My suggestion is to try the measures I listed above and assume this is phlegm. If things don't get better in 1 to 2 weeks then I suggest seeing an ENT to take a look down there to make sure nothing more serious is going on.