Home PEx News and Tech Local and Foreign Issues
COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

Conrado de Quiros on Miriam and Cory

keyellekeyelle PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
There's The Rub : The most unkindest cut of all

First posted 00:12am (Mla time) June 30, 2005
By Conrado de Quiros
Inquirer News Service

Editor's Note: Published on page A12 of the June 30, 2005 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

TRULY, this country has no end of monumental ironies to offer. Last Tuesday I saw a most astounding sight. Two people who had lost a presidential election before and had railed bitterly at the cheating done to them were now defending, or ignoring, a breathtaking case of it with breathtaking ease. Those two were Corazon Aquino and Miriam Defensor-Santiago.

Well, I wasn't completely astounded that Miriam did so. That is one person God gave a head, if a much-unhinged one, but not a heart. That is one person who has developed a capacity to quote law but not to glimpse justice. She it was who also defended Joseph Estrada to high heavens during his impeachment trial, using her lawyerly skills and apparently constitutional expertise to hide the truth rather than burnish it. No, I am not surprised that she should now reprise the same role with much the same passion in much the same circumstances. With probably much the same results, which is only to see her patron ousted by an angry populace.

Miriam was telling TV channel ANC that she saw nothing insidious in the drift of Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo's conversation with Virgilio Garcillano. She singled out the part where the President was telling Garcillano that Rodolfo Biazon was threatening to expose fraud in Tawi-Tawi and elsewhere and was asking if it would affect her adversely ("baka madale ako"). What's wrong with that? Miriam asked. All that showed was that Ms Arroyo was anxious that none of the intramurals below would affect her.

Now, assuming there is nothing criminal in the simple fact that Ms Arroyo was having a conversation with a official of the Commission on Elections (Comelec) about election results during the actual counting-and you would imagine a constitutional expert would know better-had Miriam gone on to read further, she would have come to the point where Ms Arroyo expressly tells Garcillano: "Hindi kaya pwedeng ma-delay 'yung senatorial canvassing... [Can't we delay the senatorial canvassing]?" I mean, Ma'am, that is not directly interfering with Comelec work?

Indeed, had Miriam gone on to read further, she would have come to the part where Garcillano says: "Dun naman sa Basilan at Lanao Sur, ito ho yung ginawa nilang magpataas sa inyo, maayos naman ang paggawa e.... Sa Basilan, alam nyo naman ang mga military dun eh, hindi masyadong marunong kasi silang gumawa e." I cannot imagine that it is merely Miriam's being an Ilonggo that makes her fail to grasp the atrocious meaning of that statement. That is something by the way Franklin Drilon shares with her: He too is an Ilonggo, and he too finds nothing wrong with Ms Arroyo's exchanges with Garcillano. Poor Ilonggos, to be represented by people whose powers of comprehension are severely limited.

Though I am a Bicolano, I can at least assure them that by "magpataas sa inyo," Garcillano was not talking about increasing Ms Arroyo's height. I can assure them that by "yung military dun hindi masyadong marunong gumawa," Garcillano was not talking of a military contingent not knowing how to make the right kind of elevator shoes to make Ms Arroyo look tall.

As I said before, the hardest person to wake up is the one who is pretending to be asleep. The hardest lawyer to convince to see the truth is the one who is determined to prove the lie. But that Miriam should claim to have been cheated by Fidel Ramos during the 1992 elections and shout her head off for years over it with no more proof than her say-so and now deny cheating when hearing the words straight from the horse's mouth, not entirely figuratively -- well, they call her "Brenda."

But Cory Aquino is the real disappointment. She didn't exactly defend Ms Arroyo but she did ask us to just resort to prayer and move on. Didn't Cory protest bitterly that she was cheated blind by Ferdinand Marcos in the "snap election" in nearly exactly the same circumstances? Marcos refused to step down as president to run on an even field, Ms Arroyo refused to step down as president to run on an even field, the latter notwithstanding the Constitution's ban on an incumbent running, which was tacit in provision for a president holding only a single term. Marcos owned Leonie Perez, Ms Arroyo owned Benjie Abalos, or as turns out now to be the real power in the Comelec, Virgie Garcillano. Marcos unleashed guns, goons and gold in that order, Ms Arroyo unleashed gold, goons and guns in that order. Marcos rigged the counting, which led to principled Comelec people staging a walkout. Ms Arroyo rigged the counting, which led to -- well, Cory saying let's pray for those who sinned and get on with our lives.

How can any life go on that is weighed down by injustice? When Ninoy Aquino was gunned down on the tarmac by soldiers shouting "Pusila! Pusila!" did we say let's forgive and forget, the dead can't be brought back to life, life has to go on? No, we said, "Hindi ka nagiisa [You are not alone]," your death is the death of all of us, finding justice for you is resurrecting all of us. No, we said, "Tama na, sobra na, palitan na [Enough already, too much already, replace already]," we've had enough of corruption and rottenness and indecency, it's time we stopped it, life cannot go on with it. Is there any difference between the murder of a man and the murder of a nation? Is it viler to gun down a man while he walks in the sun than to strangle the nation while it sleeps in the night?

The equation is never "first the economy, then justice." It is always "first justice, then the economy." At the very least that is so because you can never have economic progress with crooks. The people who are messing up the economy are not those who are protesting the iniquity, they are those who are ruling iniquitously. At the very most that is so because before you can eat, you have to breathe. Justice is the air we breathe.

But that the symbol of the struggle for justice should now urge us to just struggle to subsist-that is the most unkindest cut of all.

Comments

• omengomeng PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Very well said.
  • Is there any difference between the murder of a man and the murder of a nation? Is it viler to gun down a man while he walks in the sun than to strangle the nation while it sleeps in the night?

In a country where most of the cheating happen at d local level, where mayors resort to vote buying, people actually fall in line in someone's backyard near d school precint 4 someone to buy their votes. Pinoys are more aghast at the sight of blood, a loved one gunned down than hear reports of cheating. Well D Quirios is D Quiros.
  • si Miriam pa,ika nga sa text, A POLITICAL PROSTITUTE.
  • Come to think of it, Conrado de Quiros <3 s ERAP
  • mellmell PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    I have read many articles in the Filipino blogosphere and forums regarding gloriagate. I have held my opinion for a while now. But here it goes.

The center of the problem is not GMA and the opposition and vice versa.

The culprit stares us in the face.

Plunder exists throughout our society. From the poorest to the most elite. Active participation in the governance process is non-existent, rather we have patronage politics.

This has fostered a system that propels the most crooked at the top, and the most honorable at the wayside, no matter how good you are.

Now you say Susan can be trusted. I disagree, she is a mere pawn.

But I do appreciate our situation as a nation.
    We are indeed stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I subscribe to Randy David’s thinking, “we have a crisis of legitimacy for all our institutions.”

All this due to the very person that stares at us in the mirror.
  • siguro malaki expectations ni de quiros kay cory na magsalita vs GMA, maliban kay susan, iba ang dating ni cory sa maraming tao, credible voice din siya. kaya nga nakakalungkot at dasal lang ang payo niya. hindi naman ito nagwork kay kris, hehe.

may balita na iniipit ng Malakanyang si Cory about the Hacienda Luisita issue.
  • mell wrote:
    All this due to the very person that stares at us in the mirror.

The one who cheated in the election is not the one I see when I look in the mirror.

Do not distribute the grave sin of Gloria (stealing the election) to the Filipino people. Gloria stole the election by using the machineries of the government which are not readily available to anyone else.

The Gloriambino Crime Family Rules!

:D
  • There's The Rub : Prayer

First posted 11:41pm (Mla time) July 03, 2005
    By Conrado de Quiros
    Inquirer News Service

Editor's Note: Published on page A14 of the July 4, 2005 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

FRANKLY, I cannot comprehend Corazon Aquino's position on GMA. Breaking her silence last Thursday, Aquino said she has always stood by the Constitution. Breaking it won't do us any good. "To step outside the Constitution will only expose us to greater danger than the injustice we want to correct." She said People Power will succeed "only if it is for others." "It was so in 1986...it was so in 2001. But people power for one's self will never succeed." What we need to do now, she said, is pray. "Prayer, and the strength and courage that prayer gives, gave us back our freedom and protected it."

I agree from head to toe: To step out outside the Constitution will only expose us to horrendous danger. But, pray-while at the subject of prayer-who in God's name has stepped outside the Constitution with such breathtaking brazenness only the blind can possibly fail to see it? The last time I looked at the Constitution, its preamble said we, the sovereign people, want to have the blessings
    of democracy "under a regime of truth, justice, freedom, love, equality and peace." What is true, just, free, loving, equal and peaceful about GMA (Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo) calling Virgilio Garcillano during the canvassing, asking him to delay the senatorial canvassing in Marawi, approving of his methods in "magpataas sa inyo," and accepting his suggestion to kidnap a witness to cheating?

And the last time I looked at the Comelec, it affirmed that it was an independent constitutional body "mandated to give life and meaning to the basic principle that sovereignty resides in the people." It also said that before its existence the supervision of elections resided in the executive, specifically under the Department of the Interior, a thoroughly idiotic arrangement that allowed the president to manipulate the results. Yet having been created to correct that idiocy, it unleashed the very same idiocy, allowing the president to manipulate the results.

I couldn't agree more: To flout the Constitution will expose us to a greater danger than the injustice we want to correct. But Cory shouldn't tell that to the people who want to oust GMA, she should tell that to the people who foisted GMA on us against our will. She should tell that to Namfrel, about which Garcillano expressly said when GMA worried about "the other side" trying to get Namfrel's copies of the municipal COCs: "Wala naman...Namfrel is now sympathetic to us." She should tell that to Archbishop Fernando Capalla, Bill Luz and Dinky Soliman who not only turned a blind eye to GMA's efforts to steal the elections but actively participated in it.

Is it possible Cory can see that any move, however principled, to oust the pretender Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo steps outside the Constitution; but that any move, however unscrupulous, to thwart the will of the sovereign people does not? Indeed, never mind violating the Constitution, mind only-while still on prayer-violating the Ten Commandments. Isn't one of those fire-and-brimstone, etched-in-tablet, commandments, "Thou shalt not steal"?

I agree as well from head to toe that People Power will only succeed if it is for others, not for one's self. But surely that is even truer of government? Indeed, never mind succeed, mind only exist. Surely no government may exist only for one's self, only for others? Can any leader in this country after Marcos embody more selfishness, more acquisitiveness, more craving for power than GMA? Can any leader have shown more ambition with less desire to work? I will not say since Marcos because Marcos at least took risks to declare martial law, GMA merely hid under the bed-a phrase Cory should be familiar with-during Edsa II, crawling out of it only when the battle was over to claim the crown. Later, she would attribute her discovery of courage not to Cory, who now defends her to high heavens, but to a pope who was too dead to call her a liar. She said it was Pope John Paul II who begged her to slither out of the woodwork and fight.

I agree, Cory's quest for justice for a husband murdered by Marcos was more than an act for one's self, it was an act for others. I agree, civil society's quest for justice for a nation betrayed by Erap (Joseph Estrada) was more than an act for one's self, it was an act for others. A quest for justice, however done for the most personal reasons, always rises beyond itself and conscripts into its ranks all humanity by a power more obdurate than the draft. It's true, hindi ka nagiisa, (you are not alone) the murder of one man murders us all, justice for that one man resurrects us all. So why now should the quest for justice for both the murder of the sovereign will by cheating and the betrayal of the nation by jueteng, however disparate the motives that fuel it, suddenly constitute an act of selfishness? The hardest person to wake up is the one pretending to be asleep, the hardest person to bring to see is the one pretending to be blind.

And still I agree from head to toe that prayer is a most wondrous thing. But there are prayers and prayers. There is praying for rain when irrigation can easily water the fields, the kind of prayer Rizal assailed the friars for. And there is praying for God to grant us courage and fire and unwavering purpose to carry out what needs to be done. Wasn't it Christ himself who said, "Not all who say 'Lord, Lord' will enter the kingdom of God"? Prayers are never uttered by the mouth, they are uttered by the heart. They are not found in lips quivering with the weight of supplication, they are found in hearts soaring with the wings of conviction.

I do know how to pray, too: With leaders like these, please lang God, help us.
  • Cory Aquino: "At 72, I'm too old for another people power."

What she has failed to grasp, is that people power was never about her.

And with his last two columns, Conrad de Quiros just buried Cory Aquino and whatever credibility she had left.
  • Pag gusto may paraan,pag ayaw may dahilan. :D
  • The hypocrite Cory is now unmasked. :D
  • renzrenz PExer
    bondying wrote:
    The hypocrite Cory is now unmasked. :D

sori bondying. i disagree with you.

hindi lang NOW, matagal na. at ito ang pinakamatindi niyang ginawa. hindi kaya utang loob niya yun sa tulong ni gma sa hacienda luisita? hmmmmm.....

dasal cory dasal. nyahahhaha!
  • lechon xlechon x PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    oist renz nicholson, ikaw dapat ang magdasal ng husto. hanggang ngayon nakapako pa ang wetpu ni la glorya. di yata epektib ang dasal mo.

kelan ba talaga. ako ay atat na atat na. ano ba sabi ng crystal ball mo.
    :lol:
  • Musta na ba yung Hacienda Luisita Massacre?
  • Come to think of it, Conrado de Quiros <3 s ERAP
    I don't think so. de Quiros said: She (Brenda) it was who also defended Joseph Estrada to high heavens during his impeachment trial, using her lawyerly skills and apparently constitutional expertise to hide the truth rather than burnish it.
  • renzrenz PExer
    lechon x wrote:
    oist renz nicholson, ikaw dapat ang magdasal ng husto. hanggang ngayon nakapako pa ang wetpu ni la glorya. di yata epektib ang dasal mo.

kelan ba talaga. ako ay atat na atat na. ano ba sabi ng crystal ball mo.
    :lol:

i believe in prayers, mi mama. but i dont pray for gloria to resign. di tatablan yan. alang konsensiya yan eh. kapalmuks, buo ang loob, wasak ang pagkatao. nyahahhaha!

tulad ng sabi ko mamaletseka, unti unting nahuhugot ang pagkapako ng maliit na pwet ng mandarayang gloria. unti unting nawawala ang suporta ng mga taong intact pa ang moralidad kahit papano. nyahahhaha!

and we will all sing:

and now the end is near
    and so i face the final curtain

nyahhahahah!
  • And with his last two columns, Conrad de Quiros just buried Cory Aquino and whatever credibility she had left.

Really... so D Quiros decides who gets the medal, who doesnt. Cory has her own personal reasons not to join the "mob" and so do other people who are just plain johns and janes. Im not too sold either to oust another president...wow is this nation crazy, or is this nation crazy? :glee:

Alot of people recklessly hit the streets, it doesnt make one less moral or credible either if you missed the last noisy rally. D Quiros only fancies his left winger fwens, geeze he even looks like one of dwem... :hmm:
  • Whine away.

Conrad de Q's points make more sense (morally, intellectually) than Cory's. Sorry, but he is more credible than Cory Aquino, whose prayers merely gave us Kris and some very dead Hacienda Luisita workers.
  • Conrad de Q's points make more sense (moral, intellectual) than Cory's. Sorry, but he is more credible than Cory Aquino, whose prayers merely gave us Kris and some very dead Hacienda Luisita workers.

Huh? Are they both writers for some broadsheet? I dont get your comparison? How can u even say that Cory is less moral than others on the basis of that newspaper article? Im also a fan of D Quiros but just like everybody else, he has biases and so do you.

And whats with the Luisita corpses and Cory? Like she killed them coz of her prayers? Geeze...i didnt realize she could be that powerful, maybe we ought to bring her back. :D
  • bafanabafana PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    bondying wrote:
    The one who cheated in the election is not the one I see when I look in the mirror.

Do not distribute the grave sin of Gloria (stealing the election) to the Filipino people. Gloria stole the election by using the machineries of the government which are not readily available to anyone else.

The Gloriambino Crime Family Rules!

:D

This is a worst case of self-denial. Election cheating has been a staple fare of Philippine politics since time immemorial. It didn't start with Gloria nor with Marcos nor with Quezon. It is endemic in our nation, so is corruption and dishonesty, and the reason why it is endemic is because of US, the Filipino himself, the Juan Dela Cruzes of today and generations ago, because we keep voting people who are corrupt and dishonest and we expect to share in their largesse. Look at yourself in the mirror and see if there is not a taint of dishonesty in what you wrote.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file