Anti-perspirants cause breast cancer??

do any of you out there use anti-perspirants.?. i'm betting the lot of you do..

well, newsflash.. they recently realized that antiperspirants could be a cause of breast cancer... sabi raw this chemical (i forgot the name) prevents you from sweating.. but we need to sweat to expel toxins and stuff like that from our bodies

and if you use the stuff on your armpits, which are quite close to your breasts the toxins go there?? or something like that.??

sorry if its a bit magulo.. more info to come

Comments

• IraIra Member PEx Rookie ⭐
    Pardon my French, but that's a lot of bull. I think that is being forwarded thru e-mail?

1. Breast cancer is not caused by blocked sweat glands.

2. Breast cancer does not start at the armpits. As the name implies, it starts from the breast.

3. Sweat glands are very superficially located. In the event that it is blocked, it will not affect the circulation of the breast. The worst thing you can get from blocked glands are infections.

4. You expel toxins thru your kidneys, not your sweat.

5. Toxins do not cause breast cancer, either.

6. The flow of lymph does not go from the armpits to the breast; it goes from the breast to the armpit. Totally opposite siya.

Please check http://www.pinoyexchange.com/forums/showthread.php3?threadid=22055 . Someone raised the same issue about this before.

[This message has been edited by Ira (edited 04-29-2000).]
  • black roseblack rose Member PExer
    well i never said it was a fact... all i know is I'M not taking the chance..

i put this topic up coz i got this in some e-mail... sorry if its kinda long

Some time ago, a Breast Cancer Awareness seminar put on by
    Terry Birk with support from Dan Sullivan was attended by the author of this.

During the Q&A period, she asked why the most common area for Breast
    Cancer was near the armpit. Her question could not be answered at that time.

" This email was just sent to me, and I find it interesting that my question has been answered. I challenge you all to rethink your everyday use of a product that could ultimately lead to a terminal illness.
    As of today, I will change my use.

" A friend forwarded this to me. I showed it to a friend going through chemotherapy and she said she learned this fact in a support group recently. I wish I had known it 14 years ago.
    The leading cause of breast cancer is the use of antiperspirant. A concentration of toxins and leads to cell mutations: a.k.a. CANCER. Yes, ANTIPERSPIRANT.

" Most of the products out there are an antiperspirant/deodorant combination so go home and check your labels. Deodorant is fine, antiperspirant is not.
    Here's why:
    The human body has a few areas that it uses to purge toxins; behind the knees, behind the ears, groin area, and armpits. The toxins are purged in the form of perspiration. Antiperspirant, as the name clearly indicates, prevents you from perspiring, thereby prohibiting the body from purging toxins from below the
    armpits.
    These toxins do not just magically disappear. Instead, the body deposits them in the lymph nodes below the arms since it
    cannot sweat them out. Nearly all breast cancer tumors occur in the upper outside quadrant of the breast area. This is precisely where the lymph nodes are located.
    Additionally, men are less likely (but not completely exempt) to develop breast cancer prompted by antiperspirant usage because most of the antiperspirant product is caught in their hair and is not directly applied to the skin. Women who apply antiperspirant right after shaving increase the risk further because shaving causes almost imperceptible nicks in the skin which give the chemicals entrance into the body from the armpit area.

"This awareness may save lives. If you are skeptical about these findings, I urge you to do some
    research for yourself. You will arrive at the same conclusions, I assure you."

that's the email i got.. and whether its hearsay or not, i don't use deodorant in the first place.. but my sisters switched from anti-perspirants with aluminum zirconium or aluminum hydroxide to a deodorant with none of that (brut actif blue.. it works! i tried it before)
    again... thanx so much Ira for clearing that up for me.. but again.. i'm not taking that chance..
  • what_a_guywhat_a_guy waggy PExer
    Don't forget, People can put a different "spin" into a story. They are capable of saying things you want to hear. They can play with words and your mind...so be careful what you hear over e-mails or the net esp these days. Stories like these are called "urban legends" when the source cannot be verified. Most of them play with our fears and sympathy. Remember da KFC story, The Shampoo sham, Charity spins, GAS Out e-mails, "..send this out to 10 people you know" e-mail and there are lot more that keeps recycling/circulating through cyberspace over and over again.

click to this "Urban Legend" link:

http://www.urbanlegends.com/ulz/cancer.html

There is another good website that verifies and consults with independent & certified experts to bring down the rumours that is spreading like wildfire. I will post it when I find it.

[This message has been edited by what_a_guy (edited 04-30-2000).]

[This message has been edited by what_a_guy (edited 04-30-2000).]
  • IraIra Member PEx Rookie ⭐
    Thanks for the link, what_a_guy. :) This breast cancer-antiperspirant link is so unscientific that it's really one for the books. :D
    i think i'll check that link out.. and what_a_guy, you're right.. a lot of junk gets passed through the email.. its like there's someone out there trying to destroy corporations... :)

:blush: i feel a bit stupid now... :D

i ought to change the topic to 'frustrating crap sent through email'
  • Kath_Kath_ Member PExer
    black rose: don't feel stupid. we all get those e-mails that are first attention-getting, then questionable, and then downright phony. you were right in starting this thread and raising this concern. by doing so, it has cleared not only your mind, but that of all the other readers of this topic. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file