Home PEx Sports NBA

Lakers sign Isaiah "JR" Rider

batang uliranbatang uliran PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
The Lakers sign Rider for one year and rumor has it, the 2.25 million dollar exception slot. If he behaves himself, he will probably start alongside Kobe in the backcourt thus forming the most explosive starting backcourt today. If he self destructs, it's no biggie for the Lakers. Here's hoping Phil Jackson is able to keep him on the straight and narrow - after all, Phil has dealt with headcases before with success - eg. Rodman, Bison Dele etc.

Comments

• Road DoggRoad Dogg PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I hope that J.R. Rider plays well for the Lakers, and I hope na okay naman siya, unlike in his stint with the Atlanta Hawks where he was released during last season.

[This message has been edited by Road Dogg (edited 08-26-2000).]
  • oh well it's a wait and see thing....u'll never know.....but I think he'll have many of those off nights just like rice.....damn why did the lakers trade Jones for Rice anyway? coz he's a shooter? Sheesh!!!!
  • batang uliranbatang uliran PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    They traded Jones for Rice because:

1. They thought they could work his shooting into their offense better.

2. They wanted to get rid of Elden Campbell's big contract.

3. They didn't want to pay Eddie Jones the maximum or anything near it.

4. They weren't thrilled with Jones' performance dipping in the playoffs year after year.

The main reason here is probably money. At this point, Jones and Campbell are making a combined $15M a year and there is no way Buss would pay that - after all, he is already paying the Shaq and Kobe tandem close to $30M yearly and that's already almost the entire cap. The Lakers knew that Rice's contract was up and even if they decided to re-sign him (which they obviously aren't going to do), it would cost them at most $8 to 9M yearly which is still a hefty discount to what Eddie and Campbell are making now.

All this being said, I think if they knew what they now know about Rice, they wouldn't have made the deal. They would have probably still let Jones go this year but for much more in return (eg. PJ Brown) for instance. It's just that he was just such a bad fit in the triangle that he underperformed badly. I think Rice just needs a new start and he'll be back to scoring in bunches like he used to - as the focal point of the offense.
  • They thought they could work his shooting into their offense better.<;---- yeah and that's what makes it stupid!!!! Jones can shoot the ball almost as well as Rice from the arc.....he can defend better.....they should have traded him for someone else....One more thing..... they were on a winning streak before they traded jones.
    "They weren't thrilled with Jones' performance dipping in the playoffs year after year."<;
    coz Kobe was starting to get his minutes.... how can Jones be comfortable with a team that really wanted to trade him in the first place.....those rumours never helped
    "All this being said, I think if they knew what they now know about Rice, they wouldn't have made the deal."
    They actually knew that....that's the reason why Charlotte wanted to trade Rice in the 1st place...
  • This is a risky maneuver if ever there was one. The Rock has never questioned Rider's talent, it's his attitude that's the problem. ;) The man has worn out his welcome for every team that he's played for: Minnesota, Portland, and Atlanta. He's an amazing athlete with both a strong first step, great leaping ability, and a decent jump shot. But his head is usually anywhere but focused on basketball and his team's needs. Both Laker coach Phil Jackson and Laker V.P. Mitch Kupchak are taking a huge gamble here. But as said by batang uliran, Jackson has proven that he can handle even worse headcases like Rodman and Dele.

The Rock personally is unsure of this move, but if the Lakers end up with another title in June, then The Rock will have no problem with it. :D

If you smell what The Rock is cookin! :cool:
    Correction: The Lakers still have their 2 exception slots available -they signed Rider to the League Average which is between 700 and 800,000 for the year. This makes him an even bigger bargain. If anyone can make Rider behave, it's Phil.

Jones has never done well in the playoffs - he folded this last year as well and I think that's a glaring deficiency of his game so far.
  • I agree with the Rock.. picking up Rider isn't the smartest of moves. I can just see Jerry West having a heart attack right about now. If he were still the Laker GM, West would have vetoed this move long before he could say "remember how the Dennis Rodman acquisition turned out?" Regardless of how talented this man is, his thuggish ways clearly outweighs everything that is positive about him (with no sign of change in sight). He's a bad apple that not even Phil Jackson can change (besides, I don't feel that Phil was responsible for taming D.Rodman in Chicago, MJ was). I also doubt that being a part of a championship team would be enough motivation for him to change his ways.. remember, he played for a very good Portland team and yet he was still distractive and rebellious. And another thing, do the Lakers really expect JR "I-want-the-ball/more-playing-time" Rider to come off the bench behind Kobe? I'd give him two weeks before he starts missing practices. And what if the Lakers are unable to unload Rice this season? You really think Rider will be overflowing with joy when he realizes that he's the third/fourth option in the offense?! Good Luck Lakers...
  • Jones has never done well in the playoffs - he folded this last year as well and I think that's a glaring deficiency of his game so far. <;---- the way Kobe's been playing so far, they don't even need Jones to score but they need him on defense.
    Yup, he's definitely a risk but with Jackson and coming off a championship, the Lakers are the best team to take that risk. I would feel a bit better with this risk once the Lakers get a PF with offensive ability - ideally Laettner. However, if Rider accepts his diminished role a Kobe-Rider backcourt would be plenty explosive!

If I could turn back the clock, I would definitely want Eddie Jones back instead of Rice but the financial reality is Buss is NOT willing to pay the salary he wants so he would be gone after this year anyway. The only difference would be that the compensation for him would probably include a good PF - eg. PJ Brown had he gone to Miami. And I can't complain since the Lakers won a championship without him. Buss isn't like Portland's Paul Allen who doesn't care about payroll and at present, Portland's payroll is about $75M while the Lakers have one in the mid 50s - that 20 to 25 million difference goes a long way. My guess is if the Lakers didn't have any financial limitations, they would have a top PF signed by now.
  • I have to go with The Rock on this one. Jackson's the best person to take care of head cases in the Show. But Rider has simply been the single most difficult player to handle, Rodman included. It's an awful lot to risk considering they just came off a championship. It's a gutsy move that shows the Lakers aren't sitting pretty. But if Wilkens couldn't handle this guy, I don't know if anyone, even Zen Master Phil, can. I just cannot see him sitting on the bench and waving his towel as Kobe, the guy who plays in front of him, plays the big minutes.
  • aba ok lang basta ba manalo sila uil eh. :D
  • All that being said, Phil Jackson would be a true genius and the Lakers an even more dangerous team if they pull it off. So you may be proven right, imogen. You don't think the risks are too high?
  • as my opinion is concern, i'm not very happy about the signing of Rider to LA i think la needs now is much better defender than a scorer......or maybe the LA would do a very big move before the season starts eg. trading Rider and Rice and acquire Grant and Schrempf ...that would be great.......what do u think.............

ciao
    evilgrin.gif
  • Rider is a better defender compared to Rice....Time and again I've seen commentators complain about Rice...he's just too slow...Never mind if Rider is only 6'5 he can still play SF. He's strong enough to defend bigger SFs plus he can guard quicker SFs like Carter or McGrady...Plus his 3pt %age is almost as good as Rice...oh and by the way he's a better post player. He's one of the best slashers in the league probably top 10. Only problem is he's a head-case.....which brings me back to Jones.....if Jones got a ring he probably wouldn't complain about the salary.... as for the blazers trading Grant and Schrempf....you won't think the blazers would be dumb enough to help their division rivals now will you?
  • if it makes you feel better:if Rider continues to act like the headcase, they could easily waive him or they could wait for next year.
  • hmmm ...

interesting posts you have ...

i agree that signing rider to the lakers aint a good move ...

oh well ... ;););)
  • bastebaste PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    .... hmmmm... BIIIIIG MISTAKE..... why... too much EGO between kobe and JR..... LA don't need ofense no more.. and JR is no outside shooter.... and most of all... he has no DEFENSE
  • Originally posted by baste:
    .... hmmmm... BIIIIIG MISTAKE..... why... too much EGO between kobe and JR..... LA don't need ofense no more.. and JR is no outside shooter.... and most of all... he has no DEFENSE

I think baste just hit the nail on the head. The thing that will drive Phil crazy is JR's lack of hustle and defense. Phil may have put up with Kukoc and Rodman, but having Rider on the team is like combining Toni and the Worm.
  • FYI, when Rider has his head straight, he isn't just a decent defensive player, he's a very good one. In previous years, he's consistenly shut Kobe down on the defensive side, and his post-up and three-point ability have caused nightmares on the offensive side. From http://www.sportingnews.com, it is reported that Rider will share the backcourt duties with Ron Harper and Kobe will shift to the small forward position on offense. On defense though, Kobe will still be concentrating on shutting down opposing guards.
  • bastebaste PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    ... JR a good defensive players??? .. maybe... he's good when he wants to be good..... the problem is .. most of the time he doesn't... and i don't know if jackson can get the best out of him... well i guess we'll see next season...